• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 weeks old birb

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I was going to tag you but wasn’t sure your knowledge on babies
I've taken care of sick ones, which including different feeding techniques needed. But that's starting to be a long time ago... So it more reading and catch of articles someplace.

There are many more experienced members here with current knowledge. So best not to tag me unless sick and need Xtra help.

Covered about how vital proper temp/ humidity/ maintain proper temp if formula through each feed. Cleanliness. Proper husbandry prevents nearly all issues

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I live in Albacete, Spain. We are having wonderful spring days lately, we almost don't need a coat. I always make sure his "house" is 30 degrees.
Oh yea, the weather´s really picked up recently. I would still invest in a hygrometer if you can to be sure the humidity is high enough, but he should be ok given the age he is and the warm weather.
I sat out on the balcony in shorts and sleeveless top ´til gone 11pm the last couple of nights :)

In a week or so when he´s a bit bigger, you can have him out and snuggle him a little while it´s warm, mine liked the nook of the neck or there abouts.

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Oh yea, the weather´s really picked up recently. I would still invest in a hygrometer if you can to be sure the humidity is high enough, but he should be ok given the age he is and the warm weather.
I sat out on the balcony in shorts and sleeveless top ´til gone 11pm the last couple of nights :)

In a week or so when he´s a bit bigger, you can have him out and snuggle him a little while it´s warm, mine liked the nook of the neck or there abouts.
I sure will!!! I take it you are from Spain as well!! Que ilusión!

Oohh I cannot wait to hold him like the baby he is. I love him soo so much. I will buy a hygrometer to ensure his well being!!

Otra Vez, muchísimas muchísimas gracias!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’ll be excitedly following his growth, they are so perfect and learn so much at this age! Eva was a runt, she had to practice standing up straight :heart: and getting her feet underneath her
Oohh I cannot wait to hold him like the baby he is.
She used to cry and I would hold her close to me and rock her like a baby. He’s adorable, congrats on the new baby!

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
I’ll be excitedly following his growth, they are so perfect and learn so much at this age! Eva was a runt, she had to practice standing up straight :heart: and getting her feet underneath her

She used to cry and I would hold her close to me and rock her like a baby. He’s adorable, congrats on the new baby!
Thank you so so much! For the answers provided but, mostly, for the kindness!!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you so so much! For the answers provided but, mostly, for the kindness!!
Just wondering, how did you get them young? My quick story is that the breeder had 2 breeding pairs which were his but he was selling the babies from. He was moving from NY to DC within 2-3 weeks. We planned on getting a green and a yellow. Wally picked us. And we were going to get a yellow one, older and more developed but there was a naked baby that kept getting stepped on. Couldn’t bear to leave her there when we knew the seller might make a rash decision like just selling to an inexperienced person, because he needed to move for work. We also understood his situation. And that’s how we chose Eva. Always worried she might be a slow grower but she’s caught up :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Just wondering, how did you get them young? My quick story is that the breeder had 2 breeding pairs which were his but he was selling the babies from. He was moving from NY to DC within 2-3 weeks. We planned on getting a green and a yellow. Wally picked us. And we were going to get a yellow one, older and more developed but there was a naked baby that kept getting stepped on. Couldn’t bear to leave her there when we knew the seller might make a rash decision like just selling to an inexperienced person, because he needed to move for work. We also understood his situation. And that’s how we chose Eva. Always worried she might be a slow grower but she’s caught up :heart:
So glad you took her bless her

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
So glad you took her bless her
Oh she is the sweetest. I’ve had parent raised chicks before so this was different for me and I depended on this forum heavily especially since I tend to worry a lot. All these wonderful people saw me through:heart: @Paquito you will have all the help you need here.

Paquito

Meeting neighbors

I had an adult lovebird, a Fishcher that I found almost dead on the street. His name was Paquito. I cared for him and I loved him dearly for two years. Then, just a few weeks ago, there was a terrible accident at home and he passed away. I have never cried so hard in my life (I am tearing up just remembering him!)
My boyfriend, knowing I was devastated, got me this baby. He contacted the breeder and picked him up shortly after. I know they should stay in the nest a bit longer, but my bf didn't and he choosed him (the breeder said nothing). He then came home and I found both of them waiting in the living room.
Paquito will always be my first baby, and I will never ever forget him. But I must say, Cooper is already making some room for himself in my heart!

Thank you so much for the help. The only answers I Had gotten before (mostly on reddit) were of the "you shouldn't have gotten him that young if you didn't know anything" kind, without any further help.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I had an adult lovebird, a Fishcher that I found almost dead on the street. His name was Paquito. I cared for him and I loved him dearly for two years. Then, just a few weeks ago, there was a terrible accident at home and he passed away. I have never cried so hard in my life (I am tearing up just remembering him!)
My boyfriend, knowing I was devastated, got me this baby. He contacted the breeder and picked him up shortly after. I know they should stay in the nest a bit longer, but my bf didn't and he choosed him (the breeder said nothing). He then came home and I found both of them waiting in the living room.
Paquito will always be my first baby, and I will never ever forget him. But I must say, Cooper is already making some room for himself in my heart!

Thank you so much for the help. The only answers I Had gotten before (mostly on reddit) were of the "you shouldn't have gotten him that young if you didn't know anything" kind, without any further help.
Well technically you didn’t your bf did and if breeder didn’t tell him then really it’s not you should have know better
Plus shows you care and a good owner to come ask questions
This is a nice forum nice lovely helpful people :heart:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

Oh goodness I’m so sorry. I’m sorry to make you share and go through that again but the people here will help you heal. My husband, doesn’t know much about birds and might have done something like that. Sweet, misguided but everything does happen for a reason and it seems like you are ready to open your heart up to another bird. And I have to say, a baby, especially helps heal that wound. My two, Wally had almost as many tail feathers, but much less body feathers and Eva was bald and just dopey, they are both happy, healthy, loving birds (hormonal at the moment). I’m so sorry about paquito, you will always love him. Glad Mr Cooper is in your life :heart:

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
]
Oh goodness I’m so sorry. I’m sorry to make you share and go through that again but the people here will help you heal. My husband, doesn’t know much about birds and might have done something like that. Sweet, misguided but everything does happen for a reason and it seems like you are ready to open your heart up to another bird. And I have to say, a baby, especially helps heal that wound. My two, Wally had almost as many tail feathers, but much less body feathers and Eva was bald and just dopey, they are both happy, healthy, loving birds (hormonal at the moment). I’m so sorry about paquito, you will always love him. Glad Mr Cooper is in your life :heart:
No, don't worry!! Talking about Paquito and the impact he had on me actually helps. He made me love animals, I had never really cared about them before him. He will forever be loved and I have no doubt he now sent me Cooper so I could take care of him!
I am glad to hear about your babies! May them pass this hormonal season well and not drive you too crazy hahaha!!!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss of Paquito.

how did you get them young?
In Spain it is quite normal to pick up a chick this age when buying from aviaries and online ads. I think it´s quite a shock for Brits and Americans, likely why so many people were unhelpful over on reddit.
My Sydney was so small. I will try dig out a pic, he was so young, 20 something days old.
Screenshot_20230315_105109_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

I take it you are from Spain as well!! Que ilusión!
I´m a British expat living here in Málaga :)

This is a nice forum nice lovely helpful people :heart:
It sure is! This is a great community of folks :bliss:

Feel free to say hello over on Welcome Lane

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Spain it is quite normal to pick up a chick this age when buying from aviaries and online ads. I think it´s quite a shock for Brits and Americans, likely why so many people were unhelpful over on reddit.
My Sydney was so small. I will try dig out a pic, he was so young, 20 something days old.
I guess they try to discourage hand feeding formula, since it’s so likely that things can go wrong. The avian pet store (only birds) sell their birds young but they encourage people who have purchased their birds to come and practice during feeding time so they can go through the motions with the employees there. You also have to bring the bird back after a week for a weigh in and a checkup. They are by no means experts, doctors, or behaviorist. Just very well versed people who have been doing this for 30 years.

Sydney is just so precious!!! We think Wally was around 25 days, but he looks similar to Sydney so maybe he’s a bit younger. Eva, we guessed, was around 20 days old but we could be wrong. She barely had anyyyy hair, even around her face and head. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was younger, and wouldn’t be surprised if she was older and just developed slow. However, after coming home in June 18, by July 4th they had started to wean. By my calculations, this would have put Wally at 6 weeks and Eva closer to 5 weeks. It was a bit early for her but i was off of work for a week and wanted to get it down the weaning before going back. Do you remember when Sydney weaned?

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
How has little Cooper been adjusting? Needing some baby bird pics!
Ooohhh he is doing absolutely fantastic!!!!! Here are some photos. He is a little rascal sometimes, but otherwise an angel. He loves me dearly and always flies to me whenever I am near. Still adjusting to his cage, but it is getting better. I am afraid I may be partialy to blame, he spends hours and hours outside of it so when he has to go in he rebels.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-04 at 16.45.14.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-04-04 at 17.36.17.jpeg

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
In time, they will enjoy going back in. Oh he’s so precious, he’s still got the last of his dark beak. Miss those days!

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
In time, they will enjoy going back in. Oh he’s so precious, he’s still got the last of his dark beak. Miss those days!
Yesss, I absolutely LOVE his three dark spots. If only they would never go away.... But I am beyond myself he is healthy, happy and growing up as he should! I never could have imagined this would be so fullfilling!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
He looks just like my baby Wally, aren’t they the cutest when they take a bath? I literally cannot stop laughing at them. Looks so cute/pathetic

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
He looks just like my baby Wally, aren’t they the cutest when they take a bath? I literally cannot stop laughing at them. Looks so cute/pathetic
Yeeeesss!! And the smell... Such weird smeem of wet feathers