• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 weeks old birb

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Hi.
I was unexpectedly gifted with a 3 weeks old lovebird. I have had experience with them, but only with adults, so I have a few questions about taking proper care of him, and I am kind of scared of messing up.
First, is it normal he always seems hungry? I am feeding him 4 ml four times a day, which is what the breeder told me, but he keeps screaming for more. I don't know if I should up the dose, but I am absolutely terrifies of sour crop, though he seems healthy and, as I said, ALWAYS hungry.
Second, what age should I stop keeping him warm? I bought a electric blanket for him, but I don't know when I should stop keeping him warm.

Thank you very much!!!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara will be your person to answer your questions

do you have pictures we love pictures especially baby pics

a picture of your setup might help @Zara too

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Yes I sure do! Let me introduce you to Mr. Cooper!
View attachment 424779

The set up photo didn't upload. Here it is. The warmth comes from a blanket on the bottom of the box. In between there are several layers of kitchen paper and some wood pellets. He has a little shelter he absolutely adores. The box has a top so I can keep him dark enough for him to sleep.

Any advice whatsoever is more than welcome. I only aim to give this little one the best life ever

Attachments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara will be along to help soon I am sure

@Wally&Eva might be able to help too her lovebirds were babies when she got them

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you very very much for your kindness, really!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Sorry I am not much help I have lovebirds but mine were weaned older when I got them

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup: :leslieatwork:
What a cute baby!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
@Zara will be along to help soon I am sure

@Wally&Eva might be able to help too her lovebirds were babies when she got them
Oh my goodness. I got them that right around 3 weeks as well!! I’ll let Zara give you all the deets, she’ll guide you through.

Mine were always hungry too, even right after a feeding. And I stopped giving them warmth when they were fully feathered but this was in July in NY so it’s a bit different than now.

Take as many pics as possible, they change every single day!

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Oh my goodness. I got them that right around 3 weeks as well!! I’ll let Zara give you all the deets, she’ll guide you through.

Mine were always hungry too, even right after a feeding. And I stopped giving them warmth when they were fully feathered but this was in July in NY so it’s a bit different than now.

Take as many pics as possible, they change every single day!
Thank you very very much!! That makes me feel so much better. I was worried I wasn't giving him enough, but I was ever more worried about the possibilitie of giving him too much

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is it normal he always seems hungry? I am feeding him 4 ml four times a day
Some of the crying could be searching for his clutch mates.
First, weigh him (on an empty crop - so first thing in the morning). Then feed 10% of his body weight per feed. You can go a little over, but don´t feed until the crops are really full or you could risk stretching it. It is always best to feed a little less than too much. When the crop still has food in but is almost empty, it´s time for another feed.
At night time, let the crop completely empty, and then weigh him before feeding so you know how much food to feed throughout the day (this will change slightly everyday as the bird grows, you can feed a bit more).
Be sure that you are preparing the food as per package instructions, using a thermometer to get an accurate reading on the temperature. It´s important the formula isn´t too thick or thin as that could contribute to the hunger.
As for the single baby scenario, he needs a ¨sibling¨. A very small soft toy that is the same size as your bird, with no loose threads or buttons, glitter or sequins is a good item. If you can´t find something like that, a clean sockrolled up into a tight ball to make a ¨buddy¨ the same size as your bird will do. Place it in the corner of the brooder for your bird to snuggle with, place him next to it when you return him to the brooder after feeds.

I am absolutely terrifies of sour crop
On of the most common causes of crop problems is incorrect feeding and housing.
Feeding is the easy part, follow package instructions, use a thermometer, be sure no lumps. Don´t over feed.
As for the housing, where do you live? If you live in a colder place, I feel this is just not a great set up. If it´s hot and humid where you are, you can get away with a little box lined with bedding, but for anywhere dry or cold, you will need to set up a brooder. You can do that by using a critter carrier, lining it with a couple of inches of aspen shavings. Place a digital thermometer/hygrometer inside so you can monitor. Use the elec blanket under one end of the critter carrier to get it warm, checking the thermometer to be sure it doesn´t get too hot. You want the temperature to be consistent. instability will very likely cause crop problems. If the humidity reading is too low, you can place a dampened paper towel (kitchen paper, or a cloth) on a little plate in the opposite corner to where the ¨chicks¨ are.
Never put open water sources inside.

Second, what age should I stop keeping him warm?
Once all of his feathers have grown and been preened open. This is when a bird can regulate their own body temp and can go and live in a cage rather than a brooder.

Here is a handy thread to save/bookmark. There´s a grid you can either print or just copy using a pen and paper to log the birds weights, formula feeds, times etc.

Post any questions you have! Better to ask about stuff you´re unsure on.

Paquito

Meeting neighbors
Some of the crying could be searching for his clutch mates.
First, weigh him (on an empty crop - so first thing in the morning). Then feed 10% of his body weight per feed. You can go a little over, but don´t feed until the crops are really full or you could risk stretching it. It is always best to feed a little less than too much. When the crop still has food in but is almost empty, it´s time for another feed.
At night time, let the crop completely empty, and then weigh him before feeding so you know how much food to feed throughout the day (this will change slightly everyday as the bird grows, you can feed a bit more).
Be sure that you are preparing the food as per package instructions, using a thermometer to get an accurate reading on the temperature. It´s important the formula isn´t too thick or thin as that could contribute to the hunger.
As for the single baby scenario, he needs a ¨sibling¨. A very small soft toy that is the same size as your bird, with no loose threads or buttons, glitter or sequins is a good item. If you can´t find something like that, a clean sockrolled up into a tight ball to make a ¨buddy¨ the same size as your bird will do. Place it in the corner of the brooder for your bird to snuggle with, place him next to it when you return him to the brooder after feeds.

On of the most common causes of crop problems is incorrect feeding and housing.
Feeding is the easy part, follow package instructions, use a thermometer, be sure no lumps. Don´t over feed.
As for the housing, where do you live? If you live in a colder place, I feel this is just not a great set up. If it´s hot and humid where you are, you can get away with a little box lined with bedding, but for anywhere dry or cold, you will need to set up a brooder. You can do that by using a critter carrier, lining it with a couple of inches of aspen shavings. Place a digital thermometer/hygrometer inside so you can monitor. Use the elec blanket under one end of the critter carrier to get it warm, checking the thermometer to be sure it doesn´t get too hot. You want the temperature to be consistent. instability will very likely cause crop problems. If the humidity reading is too low, you can place a dampened paper towel (kitchen paper, or a cloth) on a little plate in the opposite corner to where the ¨chicks¨ are.
Never put open water sources inside.

Once all of his feathers have grown and been preened open. This is when a bird can regulate their own body temp and can go and live in a cage rather than a brooder.

Here is a handy thread to save/bookmark. There´s a grid you can either print or just copy using a pen and paper to log the birds weights, formula feeds, times etc.

Post any questions you have! Better to ask about stuff you´re unsure on.
Thank you SO much for the lengthy answer. I will immediately start implementing all your advices.
I live in Albacete, Spain. We are having wonderful spring days lately, we almost don't need a coat. I always make sure his "house" is 30 degrees.

I just noticed he seems to calm down when I put him in my hands and really close to my body. But I can't do this often because he will get too cold.

I already got him a little friend, and will make sure to weigh him every day!

Thanks a lot, really!!!