• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 week old love bird won’t eat. Help!!

Tally

Moving in
Real Name
Taleah
hi guys, two days ago I was given a 3 week old lovie orphan.
I’ve hand raised cocktails in the past with no issues but my new lovie won’t eat formula!
I’ve tried syringe and spoon, changing formulas but I’ve had no luck.
I’ve only managed to half fill his crop twice in two days. He won’t open his beak and when he does he spits the formula everywhere. Please help I’m getting worried!!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Maybe he wants to wean, some do startvto wean early, have you tried giving it soft foods such as cooked peas, scrambled eggs ?, try to see if he will eat any . Please update when you can

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don't give up! It's been 2 days, maybe he is flipped out,,3 weeks is way to young to wean. Keep offering, it may take him a few days to calm down. Meanwhile, get ahold of your avian vet. Could have good advice for you. Prayers he starts eating normally!

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I just looked in my bird Journals, and for when I was raising lovebird babies they usually weaned between 7-8 weeks old, Perhaps your 3 week lovebird is older, then what you were told, If hes refusing formula.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
How does he look? Can you post a picture?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was he being fed by his parents or by the breeder? If he was being fed by the breeder find out what they were feeding him and make sure you feed the same thing. Make sure that the formula is hot enough for him and the correct consistency. I've never fed lovebirds so not sure about the temp but the temp for my babies was about 102. This breeder says that they heat the formula for 108...I've never fed formula that hot. http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/handfeeding.html Are you weighing him? You may want to mix a little bit of organic baby food such as apples or peaches into the formula. My baby birds always preferred that to the straight formula. If he continues not to eat then get him to a vet ASAP.

BTW, why is he an orphan? What happened?

Tally

Moving in
Real Name
Taleah
The parents were feeding him but a snake got into the avery unfortunately. I posted photos above

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very cute. Yes, 3 weeks is too young for him to be weaning. I really hope that he will start eating. Which formula are you using?
You may just have to feed smaller amounts of formula multiple times a day although it sounds as if you have tried that. Do try adding some of the baby food and see if that will work.

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I fed TD Kaytee Exact. He was 19 days old when I got him, so just about 3 weeks. He is a cockatiel, though, and had been badly abused. Hopefully the folks with lovie experience can be of more help to you. Thanks for saving this little one. Keep us posted.

PS he is really super cute!

Tally

Moving in
Real Name
Taleah
I’ve been trying all day to get the little guy to eat small amounts but his refusing even more!
I called the vet and she said is to keep at it but I’m really starting to struggle.
He completely ignores the spoon and wont open for the syringe. I’m so worried he will starve

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
108F seems too hot for the formula. Someone said a breeder did that. . keep trying!:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
108F seems too hot for the formula. Someone said a breeder did that. . keep trying!:hug8:
Yes, it is too hot and that's why I stated I never fed food at that temperature. I was surprised to read that but the breeder stated that she found that lovebirds like the food warmer. I kept the temp at about 102 when I was hand feeding.

@Tally Don't give up. Even put some food on your fingertip and see if he will take it that way just to get him started. I had difficulty feeding one of my red-bellies but I was lucky that he had a brother so when I started feeding his brother first and he saw that he got angry and then was willing to eat and he started eating quite well. Do you have another bird that you can feed and he can watch, even an older bird who will take some formula? Did you try adding some baby food as I suggested? You may have to bring him to the vet and let them hand feed or even gavage/tube feed so that he doesn't starve.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! I'm afraid I have no advice for you as I'm not familiar with feeding babies. I hope your little one makes it. Please keep us updated when you can. I'm pulling for you both

Tally

Moving in
Real Name
Taleah
Great news everyone. My baby has been eating!!!!:fairy2: The vet told me to contact my local wildlife rescue. They told me to skip 2 feedings and try with some plain biscuits, crushed and with boiled water... and guess what?? He loved it! I fed my baby (Tinka) for the first day with this and then started back with formula and we haven’t had a problem since.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate the support! Xx

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Tinka is beautiful.. So happy that your baby is eating.:sunflower:. :welcome: