• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

3 Week Old Cockatiel suddenly not interested in food (sad update #7)

MangoesDad

Moving in
Hey guys. New to this forum. I recently got a 3 week old Pearl cockatiel I've been hand raising. (I have experience with hand feeding). She's been doing fantastic for a week now, eating like a champ and gaining weight. Poops are normal. She's kept in a brooder at 87 degrees. When I went for the morning feeding (she's eating every 4 hours, 8 ml, kaytee forumla) she didn't beg or even chirp like she normally does. She came over but only took about an ml and then went quiet. She pooped and it looked normal. I've called a bunch of vets in the area and they're all booked or not answering. I'm really concerned! Thank you for any answers.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:bump7:
Has she eaten since you posted? I’m sorry I don’t know much about hand raiding babies, but hopefully someone will come along who can help you.

MangoesDad

Moving in
:bump7:
Has she eaten since you posted? I’m sorry I don’t know much about hand raiding babies, but hopefully someone will come along who can help you.
I took her to an avian vet around 3. He prescribed an anti fungal and antibiotics. I tube fed her as she wouldn't take anything and now she's vomiting. I'm at a complete lose and I really don't want to lose this bird.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you hospitalize her?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Or letting the breeder help you?
Are you sure you are doing everything right when you feed her?

MangoesDad

Moving in
Or letting the breeder help you?
Are you sure you are doing everything right when you feed her?
I'm mixing according to her age, temp, etc. She's completely refusing anything rn. And the breeder is almost 2 hours away so I'm doubtful they'd help. I'm gonna contact the vet again once they open today.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry :(

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry. :(

With that experience let the parents feed their babies, and as soon as they are weaned, get your new bird home. They are so easy to tame when they are that young, and their behavior is so much better when parents have raised them.

And don't get a new baby from that breeder. A good breeder that cares of the bird don't sell unweaned babies.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss. You tried very hard to help this baby. In my opinion, it was irresponsible of the breeder to sell a baby that young. This makes me so sad.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss

MangoesDad

Moving in
I wasnt unaware at the time that cockatiels/parrots/etc weren't supposed to be sold that young. I've raised pigeons, other types of birds/etc with no issues and was reassured it was the same and that bonding earlier on was better. I got really attached in a short period of time and I feel awful, she was such a good baby. Thank you guys so much.

Last edited:

MangoesDad

Moving in
I wasnt unaware at the time that cockatiels/parrots/etc weren't supposed to be sold that young. I've raised pigeons, other types of birds/etc with no issues and was reassured it was the same and that bonding earlier on was better. I got really attached in a short period of time and I feel awful, she was such a good baby. Thank you guys so much.
Was• autocorrect...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry for your loss

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sorrow: Poor little one...Bad breeder... Do not get a unweaned bird unless you are experienced in handfeeding. So much can go wrong & 3 weeks is much to young!!! That;s min when they should be pulled from parents & handfed.
This breeder is in it for the $ not the birds...So sad for the bird & for you...Sorry,,, Tiels can wean min 8 to 10 weeks & sometimes 12...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.