• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 3 new budgies

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I am still in a huge shock so sorry if my grammar is not on point for this one.:jawdrop1: For you to understand this i have to explain why I decided to get Kiwi (my female budgie). We went to a friends birthday and we bought a budgie for him since he said he has wanted budgies for a long time. Another couple of friends bought budgies too so he ended up with three. I thought they were very lovely little creatures :heart: so i did a lot of research and got one myself. 04CCE8D4-5A85-457F-BDAB-21031C8601D6.jpeg
So fast forward a couple of months...
The same family just came to my house and gave me the three budgies!!:jawdrop1: It turned out that that his wife was allergic to the birds. They are around the same age as kiwi, maybe one month older. My parents already knew about it but didn’t tell me, so now i have a flock of four budgies! I’m extremely happy but also overwhelmed since i now have to train four budgies instead of one. :wacky:
This is them and their cage: image.jpg
image.jpg
It’s one male and two females. They don’t have any names yet.
Do i have to quarantine them? And will one male and three females be okay as a flock together? I also think the cage is too small to fit four of them.

They seem healthy but when i connected the bath to their cage the wife asked me what it was. It is noticeable that they haven’t had a bath because their feathers are a little rough.
They also have two water dishes instead of a water dispenser, I prefer the dispensers because they get less dirty. :wtf:
The dispenser:
image.jpg
The two water dishes:
image.jpg
I’m really sorry it’s such a long story but i want to make sure i don’t make any mistakes.
Thanks in advance!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If they can be quarantined, then yes. If they have already been in the same room as Kiwi has, technically, they can't be quarantined anymore.

I once had a flock of 5 budgies. It was 1 male and 4 females. Thing is, I was told that two of the females were males! The family that had them were friends of a friend of mine, so I didn't even see the birds, the family just dropped them off one day at my friends house, expecting me to take them.

The worst that ever happened was that two of the females ganged up on the male! (his mate and one other female!) When I say ganged up on him, I mean that one hen went after the flight feathers on the male and the other hen went after his tail feathers. He was "attacked" from both sides and didn't know who to scream at! The hens never hurt him, of course!

So it *is* possible to have more females than males! Ideal? Maybe not, as females can be quite mean if they want to be! And males are typically happy go lucky!

datlamb

so many cute little budgies!!

you are right, this cage is too small. if you can get your hands on this one, which is on sale right now, i bet they'd be very happy with it!

giving them a bath is a great idea. budgies love bathes! if they don't bathe in it you can try putting some leaves; lettuce or spinach, to make bathing more fun!

if you want a water and food dish that won't get dirty and is easy to clean, get stainless steel dishes! they're the best. and the cage i linked comes with 4 already.

they have so many toys in their cage! they must be having fun :) another good addition to it is natural perches. the perches they have in the cage right now are dowel perches, which after a while can hurt their feet. natural perches are much healthier for them.

goodluck with your new flock~! please update us on how it goes with the new additions!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
If they can be quarantined, then yes. If they have already been in the same room as Kiwi has, technically, they can't be quarantined anymore.

I once had a flock of 5 budgies. It was 1 male and 4 females. Thing is, I was told that two of the females were males! The family that had them were friends of a friend of mine, so I didn't even see the birds, the family just dropped them off one day at my friends house, expecting me to take them.

The worst that ever happened was that two of the females ganged up on the male! (his mate and one other female!) When I say ganged up on him, I mean that one hen went after the flight feathers on the male and the other hen went after his tail feathers. He was "attacked" from both sides and didn't know who to scream at! The hens never hurt him, of course!

So it *is* possible to have more females than males! Ideal? Maybe not, as females can be quite mean if they want to be! And males are typically happy go lucky!

I really hope they aren’t aggressive towards kiwi, they seem to be okay with each other (the three new ones in their cage) I haven’t seen any biting or nipping. And unfortunately the moment the family came in with their cage it was already in the same space as kiwi so quarantining is not an option i guess, is that bad? I have seen cases where a budgie has died from a baby that was placed in the same cage. Should i get them checked just in case?

so many cute little budgies!!

you are right, this cage is too small. if you can get your hands on this one, which is on sale right now, i bet they'd be very happy with it!

giving them a bath is a great idea. budgies love bathes! if they don't bathe in it you can try putting some leaves; lettuce or spinach, to make bathing more fun!

if you want a water and food dish that won't get dirty and is easy to clean, get stainless steel dishes! they're the best. and the cage i linked comes with 4 already.

they have so many toys in their cage! they must be having fun :) another good addition to it is natural perches. the perches they have in the cage right now are dowel perches, which after a while can hurt their feet. natural perches are much healthier for them.

goodluck with your new flock~! please update us on how it goes with the new additions!

The cage you linked looks great! I’ll have a word with my parents about it. They are cage biters though, so rust might be a problem since it’s iron right? It would be a loss to buy the cage and having to buy a new one after a couple of months. And about the perches, do you mean something like this? https://www.huisdierplein.nl/vogel/zitstokken/happy-pet-vogelzittak-natural/G41_H81_C1444_P748424/ It says it’s natural. Or should i go outside and get a real one? I have enough trees in the back yard :hehe:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is a natural perch, but it is even better to get real ones from your back yard! Make sure the trees are safe for birds, so no toxic wood or leaves, and then put them in the cages along with all the leaves, they Will have a blast :) and after the branches te destroyen you van throw them out and get new ones!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
That is a natural perch, but it is even better to get real ones from your back yard! Make sure the trees are safe for birds, so no toxic wood or leaves, and then put them in the cages along with all the leaves, they Will have a blast :) and after the branches te destroyen you van throw them out and get new ones!

Thank you! I’ll wait a little bit though, they are not used to me and are scared of my hand. I’ll rearrange their cage once they trust me a little bit more:fairy2:

datlamb

Yeah! Bought natural perches or perches from your backyard from a safe tree can be great!

The important thing is that it has different textures and diameters so it exercises their feet.
Here is a video about making your own perches :

useally small cage's are made of a metal wire covered in paint, which when the budgies chew off it rusts. The cage I linked is made out of wrought iron with a powder coated finish which the budgies won't be able to chew off. So it should last for a long time with minimal effort. Just make sure to spot clean any big messes you see

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Good idea:lol: I look forward to seeing their progress:)

I’ll definitely keep AA updated on them! Right now i have the cages side by side, kiwi is super hyped and is basically glued to the left side of her cage :lol:but the other three seem pretty relaxed. I assume it’s because they are used to being around other budgies, contrary to kiwi who hasn’t had any other buddies but me!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
Yeah! Bought natural perches or perches from your backyard from a safe tree can be great!

The important thing is that it has different textures and diameters so it exercises their feet.
Here is a video about making your own perches :

useally small cage's are made of a metal wire covered in paint, which when the budgies chew off it rusts. The cage I linked is made out of wrought iron with a powder coated finish which the budgies won't be able to chew off. So it should last for a long time with minimal effort. Just make sure to spot clean any big messes you see

Yaas i love flock talk! I watched a lot of her videos before getting kiwi! Thank you for the advice. About the cage, i also preferably want it to fit in the spot i have the cages at this moment, between those two little stone walls. (see picture) it’s 63 cm from left to right. The wooden board can be removed of course! So i have to be careful about that too when buying the right cage.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you can get them in to an avian vet for a checkup, that would be great! If not, do be sure to carefully monitor all of them!

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
If you can get them in to an avian vet for a checkup, that would be great! If not, do be sure to carefully monitor all of them!

Unfortunately there aren’t any vets in my area that specialize in birds, any vet will do though right? I don’t have any experience with vets at all to be honest :huh:. I’ve only gone twice to get my guinea pigs checked Like 5 years ago but that’s it. :shrug:
Please enlighten me..:lol:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very nice of you to take the 3 budgies into your home. Kiwi will, hopefully , have 3 new friends.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No, any vet will not do. You need to go to a vet that is familiar with birds and treats birds. Taking an animal to the vet can also potentially be expensive. You'd have to call and ask around.

Even if you don't have a vet now, it would be highly adviseable to get in contact with one for general exams on all the birds and for any future emergencies and care.

This may help.

Member Search Results - Association of Avian Veterinarians

Zoepr143

Real Name
Zoë
No, any vet will not do. You need to go to a vet that is familiar with birds and treats birds. Taking an animal to the vet can also potentially be expensive. You'd have to call and ask around.

Even if you don't have a vet now, it would be highly adviseable to get in contact with one for general exams on all the birds and for any future emergencies and care.

This may help.

Member Search Results - Association of Avian Veterinarians

Oh wow when i looked it up on google it only showed 3 results, thank you so much! I see one that is about 40 mins away, that’ll do.