• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2nd cage placement

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I know this will all depend on individual birds but if I hedge my bets, where would multiple conure owners recommend I place a second cage for a second (likely) conure? My goal is to minimize flock calling between the two birds during the very occasional times that I need to leave the house for work instead of working from home because my husband works from home every day.
my options are:
1. Place cages in the living room, 6 feet apart from one another, but separated by a wall protrusion that means they can only see each other from the front third of their cages.
2. Place cages in the living room 10 feet across from one another with no obstruction.
3. Place play stand on tree in living room for 2nd bird with current bird’s play Stand tree in viewing distance in the kitchen where it currently is and put the second bird’s sleep cage in upstairs office. This would also be where the Bird quarantines and where he would need to stay on the occasions that I need to leave the house. This office, however, is adjacent to my husband‘s office though the cage would be on the non-adjacent wall side.
I should note that the conure I have my eye on is a Sun conure baby and therefore we all know is likely to be very very loud.
Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Not including “do not get a Sun Conure” lol

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I know this will all depend on individual birds but if I hedge my bets, where would multiple conure owners recommend I place a second cage for a second (likely) conure? My goal is to minimize flock calling between the two birds during the very occasional times that I need to leave the house for work instead of working from home because my husband works from home every day.
my options are:
1. Place cages in the living room, 6 feet apart from one another, but separated by a wall protrusion that means they can only see each other from the front third of their cages.
2. Place cages in the living room 10 feet across from one another with no obstruction.
3. Place play stand on tree in living room for 2nd bird with current bird’s play Stand tree in viewing distance in the kitchen where it currently is and put the second bird’s sleep cage in upstairs office. This would also be where the Bird quarantines and where he would need to stay on the occasions that I need to leave the house. This office, however, is adjacent to my husband‘s office though the cage would be on the non-adjacent wall side.
I should note that the conure I have my eye on is a Sun conure baby and therefore we all know is likely to be very very loud.
Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. Not including “do not get a Sun Conure” lol
Also, assuming they can be in the same room supervised, both would be out on table top play stands while I’m working in my office but it may be best to have a cage there in case they cannot be out at the same time even supervised, right?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
After the quarantine, I'd take my cues from the birds.
If they like each other and squawk when further apart, move them closer together.
If they don't like each other and get agitated when too close, move them further apart.
... and of course their dynamic can shift over time :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
After the quarantine, I'd take my cues from the birds.
If they like each other and squawk when further apart, move them closer together.
If they don't like each other and get agitated when too close, move them further apart.
... and of course their dynamic can shift over time :)
Do you think proximity and visual field have the same effect? Would them being close to each other in their cages but unable to see each other matter? Or do you think they go off of proximity of sound? Also I’m sure you’re right about needing to adjust based on their responses…I was just wishing I could plan ahead because I spent 5 hours rearranging the living room to be able to place a second cage in one of two places : ) I feel like the saying “if you want to make god laugh tell her your plans” should have been “tell a bird..”.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It's so hard to say.
They may sound-off more if they can't see each other, or less when they forget the other is there.
They may sound off-more because they rile each other up, or they may sound off less because they keep each other company when you're not around.
Mine tend to be quieter for longer due to the comfort of the flock, but when one yells the others tend to follow, so the peaks are higher when they happen.
Birds are so variable, thus... I'd take my cues from the birds. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My 2 queens share a cage. I did this because their cage is huge (to them: 40x30 dometop) and queens are very community-oriented and prone to plucking if isolated. They remain tame, but that may not be true for other conures.

I would put the cages beside each other. They'll be able to see and hear each other just fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker and conure would scream incessantly until their cages were under 2 feet away from each other, and their bowls had to be facing each other so they could eat together :lol:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
So basically be prepared for all scenarios and relinquish any foolish notions of being in control lol! Got it! Thank you all : )

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When KiKi was in qt she could hear Mojo and Mojo her so both birds became aware there was another conure in the house and they would call each other.
When we introduced them in the same room there cages were placed each end of the room, they both got seperate out of cage time for maybe the first week but all the time was spent on the other birds cages so moved cages next to each other about 1 foot apart any further away they would scream.
We used to cover there cages seperately over night after a while they would scream so both cages got cover together so they can see each other.
There cages are pushed against each other now they scream if they are apart ( KiKi still wont stay in the same cage with Mojo ).
You will be able to tell if they are happy or not by observing there behaviour, as said above follow the birds cues.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
When KiKi was in qt she could hear Mojo and Mojo her so both birds became aware there was another conure in the house and they would call each other.
When we introduced them in the same room there cages were placed each end of the room, they both got seperate out of cage time for maybe the first week but all the time was spent on the other birds cages so moved cages next to each other about 1 foot apart any further away they would scream.
We used to cover there cages seperately over night after a while they would scream so both cages got cover together so they can see each other.
There cages are pushed against each other now they scream if they are apart ( KiKi still wont stay in the same cage with Mojo ).
You will be able to tell if they are happy or not by observing there behaviour, as said above follow the birds cues.
Thank you for this. Is the same true of play stands and tree stands; did you place them next to each other or did you allow them to share one supervised from the beginning?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
So basically be prepared for all scenarios and relinquish any foolish notions of being in control lol! Got it! Thank you all : )
:pinklol2::pinklol3: you got it!

Ive add several birds . I did like wardy said.
After quarantine I put cages in sight line if each other but 10 feet ( about 20 feet for my great room) apart. I go slow st moving them closer together. About 2 weeks I have them give feet apart. As things go I have the cages all side by side but a few inches so each can't mean out and grab each other .

I do a lot of ealki one burd k er to s caged bird and give each treats and swap out.

Do not let a free bird walk or climb in a caged birds cage. Good way to loose toes

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for this. Is the same true of play stands and tree stands; did you place them next to each other or did you allow them to share one supervised from the beginning?
They have a large java tree and a small one that they both share, they generally hang out on top of the perches above there cages that they again both share.
One thing i did do initially was always feed Mojo first open her cage first, i dont know if it made a difference but i didnt want her feeling pushed out.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I think I’m struggling because the cages are quite large and Pitchounette spends a total of 5 hours a week in it since she doesn’t even sleep there! So having two of them though they get used so little feels cumbersome. I’m just venting because I know it’s necessary-especially since I don’t know if I’ll always be able to work full time from home so I want to be sure they are used to a set up in case they need to be in their cages. tPitchounette spends his day out on his tree stand in the living room and on a table top stand in my office. I am hopeful the second bird will be able to do the same eventually. Perhaps I should have small cages instead in the living room?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps I should have small cages instead in the living room?
or have a smaller cage for the new bird to sleep and spend some time hanging out in then turn Pitchys 5 hour a week cage into day cage for the new bird ( toys etc ) you will then have Pitchys sleep cage new bird sleep cage and the play cage to utilise, you might have to juggle things about a bit but i am sure you could make it work.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
or have a smaller cage for the new bird to sleep and spend some time hanging out in then turn Pitchys 5 hour a week cage into day cage for the new bird ( toys etc ) you will then have Pitchys sleep cage new bird sleep cage and the play cage to utilise, you might have to juggle things about a bit but i am sure you could make it work.
That’s a really good idea. Pitchy does not seem attached to the occasional cage anyways. He is attached to his sleep cage in the boys room. So yes this could work. Thanks for the brainstorm session.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
GCC can be very jealous of new arrivals. Or not lol , my 2 GCC hit it off at first sight. But many of my forum ( not talking about folks here,) friends who rushed things has fights and birds that ended up hating each other.

So lots of extra attention to first bird.

Wardy have great advice on cages. It's always good to have a smaller cage for evacuation emergency. For me it's hurricane, but every place has some type of risk