• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2nd bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumma Jo

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jo O'Rourke
Howdy-

I was tentatively thinking about getting a 2nd somewhat bigger bird for our family. We've got 16 finches and 2 'keets as our current little birdies, and a possibly 15 y.o. Mex. Red-Headed Amazon (Phoenix) for our bigger bird. Noise isn't a problem since we're on 36 acres and surrounded by 7k ac. in grazing land. I'm home all day long so Phoenix gets enough attention that he's pretty quiet compared to my dad's African Grey.

I've been researching sun conures and white bellied caiques but they only seem to have a pretty generic description of each breed. None really say what might be better for us though. I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion based on what we're looking for. The new birdie wouldn't be a friend for Phoenix since he seems to hate everything in the house except for me. I figured the new one would have "shared time" with us since Phoenix has a routine where he wants to be in his house at certain times of the day & evening, and other times where he really wants to be w/ mommy. Either way he's always in the room with me. He's about 2hrs. on and 2hrs. off so I think it'd be a fair split for another bird.

We're looking for a birdie who'd be a little more a part of the entire family (more social?), able to be taught a few tricks like Phoenix is learning, and be pretty brightly colored. Our kids really liked the idea of more tricks and possibly some words. They're pretty easy to "trick" into thinking Phoenix said a word so it's not a requirement LOL. That's pretty much it I guess. Suggestions?

-- Jo

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I like Suns and Caiques too. They have such fun personalities. I also like Green Cheek conures, they come in a variety of different colored mutations. My smallest bird is a green cheek conure (told he was a pineapple mutation but I don't think he is). He is a little bird who thinks he is a big bird. Very curious, fun and loving. He is also very social and loves nothing better to be in the thick of things with all family members, riding on our shoulders or head, hiding in our shirts, flying from one family member to another. He is learning to talk, but he has a little voice. He really loves beating up his bell, climbing all over his cage and playstand and he really enjoys hanging out on the kitchen counter when I'm making birdie mash (he loves to steals bits and pieces out of the mixing bowl). I think they make wonderful family pets. Have fun researching what kind of bird will fit your family best. Good luck. Can't wait to hear what you decide.

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
as much as i am biased in favor of caiques i believe they would both be well suited for your household. suns are noisier but that is clearly no issue to you. My caique is great with my girlfriend and I. and our neighbors come over a lot and she steps up for them fine too.. Right now we are in the process of clicker training our caique to do some little tricks, its a great way to bond.

So all in all I suppose its whichever one is available in your general area. and also sun conures generally tend to be half the cost of WB caiques. so there is always that to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.