• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2am mailbox trip (Angela- you may like it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay the funniest thing I have ever seen living here in Florida was a guy trying to herd a pretty big black snake outta the middle of the road in East Naples.

I was in my car on my way to clients house when I see this guy waving his arms for me to stop; then he turns around and starts shooing this pretty big snake, who's PO'd, reared up and gnashing his teeth at this guy over his shoulder (do snakes have shoulders?) as he's slithering down the road.

The guy finally got him to the side where he dropped down and took off like a shot through the grass.

The other funny story is that I was standing in my SIL front yard (when we first moved down here and they still lived in Naples) and this great big fat black snake falls out the tree about 5" behind her. I'm just losing it, trying to yell, "Run!! Holy $#@! and making all kinds of alarm noises.", and she's like "What? :huh:"

And the last story was written up several times in the newspapers here, about a couple who were out in Everglade National Park off roading... they stopped to move a "log" outta the way so they could drive to their camp site. Turns out it was a gi-normous python. :omg:

Ginger

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw he wanted you to be his friend.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Okay the funniest thing I have ever seen living here in Florida was a guy trying to herd a pretty big black snake outta the middle of the road in East Naples.

I was in my car on my way to clients house when I see this guy waving his arms for me to stop; then he turns around and starts shooing this pretty big snake, who's PO'd, reared up and gnashing his teeth at this guy over his shoulder (do snakes have shoulders?) as he's slithering down the road.

The guy finally got him to the side where he dropped down and took off like a shot through the grass.

The other funny story is that I was standing in my SIL front yard (when we first moved down here and they still lived in Naples) and this great big fat black snake falls out the tree about 5" behind her. I'm just losing it, trying to yell, "Run!! Holy $#@! and making all kinds of alarm noises.", and she's like "What? :huh:"

And the last story was written up several times in the newspapers here, about a couple who were out in Everglade National Park off roading... they stopped to move a "log" outta the way so they could drive to their camp site. Turns out it was a gi-normous python. :omg:

Ginger
:rofl::rofl::rofl: great stories!!!

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
There are only 3 species of venomous snakes in New York state and they are all very rare :D

SUNY-ESF E-Center: Snakes of New York
never mind ... when I saw the photo of the Armadillo I realized you are in Florida now and not NY. hahaha

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
There are only 3 species of venomous snakes in New York state and they are all very rare :D

SUNY-ESF E-Center: Snakes of New York
never mind ... when I saw the photo of the Armadillo I realized you are in Florida now and not NY. hahaha
:hehe: I still have a residence in NY too, that's why I have it listed. You never know when a NY photo will show up by me :hehe:
Thanks, I'm going to look at all the scary snakes in your link :eek:

hsmoscout

I like snakes...if they aren't copperheads. Although I find copperheads really cool and will stop and check them out from a distance, preferably separated by terrarium glass. :hehe:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A GARTER SNAKE, AND I NEED IT FOR MY RESEARCH!!!!!!!!! :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Seriously, that is the species that my research is on, I need 24 males.......do you think you have them? :lol:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
ok guys thanks for the scare LOL GOT TO WARN ME WHEN ITS SNAKES!

but if it is a Racer of any kind I don't think you want to be that close any more

A friend of mine from back home (Ohio) was telling me a few weeks ago that they had a outbreak of Blue Racers in town , that killed a lady's dog (it was like a German Shepard kind of dog so it wasn't small) and all the animal control people did was put them in trash cans and let them go in the open field across the street

Ya like they won't return DUHHHHHHHH
Just to let you know, racers only get about 4 feet long, and they are not big enough or strong enough to kill a dog. Actually, the only native snakes that could do that would be your venomous ones, and only because they are venomous. ;)

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A GARTER SNAKE, AND I NEED IT FOR MY RESEARCH!!!!!!!!! :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Seriously, that is the species that my research is on, I need 24 males.......do you think you have them? :lol:
Angela, what in the world are you going to do with 24 garter snakes???!!!:eek:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Angela, what in the world are you going to do with 24 garter snakes???!!!:eek:

Well, in short, I will be drawing their blood and measuring stress hormones as a result of short term confinement. Lol, for all of the non-snake lovers on the board, I thought I would add that when you do a blood draw from a snake it usually comes from the palantine vein- in the MOUTH. :dancing:

TITANIS

Well, in short, I will be drawing their blood and measuring stress hormones as a result of short term confinement. Lol, for all of the non-snake lovers on the board, I thought I would add that when you do a blood draw from a snake it usually comes from the palantine vein- in the MOUTH. :dancing:
Well, since you're studying animal biology it's understood. I hope the snakes will remain alive after all the testing.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Well, since you're studying animal biology it's understood. I hope the snakes will remain alive after all the testing.

They will :). I love snakes as much as I love birds (I had 56 before I started grad school) so I would never do a terminal study. My research subjects get caught, measured, sexed, weighed, clipped (ventral scales are cut in a pattern so I can identify them if I catch them later), blood gets drawn and they go into a snake bag for an hour in my backpack. One hour layer blood gets drawn again and snakes are released. :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Only pictures for you!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I'm not catching it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TITANIS

They will :). I love snakes as much as I love birds (I had 56 before I started grad school) so I would never do a terminal study. My research subjects get caught, measured, sexed, weighed, clipped (ventral scales are cut in a pattern so I can identify them if I catch them later), blood gets drawn and they go into a snake bag for an hour in my backpack. One hour layer blood gets drawn again and snakes are released. :dance4:
Awesome. Sounds like research I'd love to do. :cool1:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Awesome. Sounds like research I'd love to do. :cool1:

It gets really old fast, lol. I spent all of last summer in the field and it was a horrible field year in Tennessee because of all the rain. I caught some, but they were either too little or female. :rolleyes: I have my eyes set on possibly Ohio for this coming field season, I have been told there are places where I could get all my snakes in one weekend. THAT would be great, or I may go down to Florida :hehe:.

TITANIS

It gets really old fast, lol. I spent all of last summer in the field and it was a horrible field year in Tennessee because of all the rain. I caught some, but they were either too little or female. :rolleyes: I have my eyes set on possibly Ohio for this coming field season, I have been told there are places where I could get all my snakes in one weekend. THAT would be great, or I may go down to Florida :hehe:.
Angela, in my youth that's exactly what I was doing, come sun, wind or rain! Each day every summer, I was either in the fields, woods, ponds, etc. catching, pursuing, uncovering anything my little hands could get a hold of! I think I'm a little too old for that sort of recreation these days, though. :D

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Angela, in my youth that's exactly what I was doing, come sun, wind or rain! Each day every summer, I was either in the fields, woods, ponds, etc. catching, pursuing, uncovering anything my little hands could get a hold of! I think I'm a little too old for that sort of recreation these days, though. :D
You can never be too old to do field work :hug8: Just ask the 70+ year old professors in our department, lol.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
*glances around*

I think snakes are cute.

thats right? Pretty? Beautiful? Nope. Cute as a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.