• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

23 year old female BG macaw first rehome in Edmonton

Macpack

Moving in
I am putting out some feelers to see if someone from this community would be interested in my girl. She is a rescue that I’ve cared for for the last 7 years. The reason for rehome is that she doesn’t get along with any of the members of the household including my other macaw, dog, and partner and it had become stressful for all involved. It was ok when I was working less as I could carve out time to give her individual attention daily but now with a change in jobs I’m finding it challenging to give her the attention that she needs while caring for the others.

A few things about her:
- she is plucked and is very bald, she came to me this way and the vet felt that the plucking had been going on for a long-time before I rescued her And didn’t think it was reversible or that there was a medical reason for it
-she is a good eater and is not picky about what she eats (veg/bean mash, fresh fruits and veg, grains, shelled nuts for treats)
-hand-tame, will step up on command for the most part and will let me inspect her and trim her nails with mimimal fuss
-she is very sweet with her person
-has a few tricks and has a cute vocabulary
-loves to hangout and sit on her person’s shoulder
-she becomes very hormonal and aggressive in May/June
-she does NOT play well with others, especially if her person is in the room
-she transitions well in new situations

I think she would do best in a home with no other pets and children. There is a good chance that she will bond to one person and then will be very protective of that person and respond with aggression to others. The other person in the family must be okay with this.

I am asking 1500 for her and her cage. my preference is that you come over and meet her a few times before committing to her to ensure a good fit. I am happy to answer any question you may have about her or the care that she receives.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is she? What kind of macaw? Where are you located?

That information may help :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear you need to rehome your B&G, hopefully one of the members from here will be able to open up their home for your girl.

Please read and sign this :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I live very close to you but there is no way that I can take that bird in with the situation we have. Have you tried posting on the Edmonton Pet Parrot Association FB page?

If all else fails and you must take her somewhere get in touch with "Meika's Safe House" in
Sherwood park.

Macpack

Moving in
I live very close to you but there is no way that I can take that bird in with the situation we have. Have you tried posting on the Edmonton Pet Parrot Association FB page?

If all else fails and you must take her somewhere get in touch with "Meika's Safe House" in
Sherwood park.
Thanks for the info re: Facebook. I will do this if nothing comes of this ad over the next few days. My situation is not (yet) desperate and I'm not in a rush to rehome her, but looking into the future I can see that she is not compatible with the rest of my family so its not really fair to her or to them to keep her. My current preference would be to find her a home so she doesn't need to transition to new surroundings and routines twice. But I frequently board my birds at Meika's so this could potentially be a solution. Thanks for taking the time to respond.