• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2019 Year End at Blu's

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I just wanted to mention in case many of you do not know, I will be closing up shop for year end on December 6th. I will reopen come January 3rd, 2020.

Other stuff:

If you plan to order please do so before I close and if you are Secret Santa shopping then please be sure to place order by the 6th. I can also ship an order to a secret santa recipient if you desire me to do so. All orders should be shipped out no later than Dec. 12th.

While I am closed up, I am going to try to get a few more stainless toys designed, at least that's my plan! Oh and I wanted to tell you all, I am now welding all the orings now on the new welder!! Actually I am doing quite well at it! :) My hubby was doing it for a while but then he gets busy on his other stuff then I'd have to wait around so I said the heck with that and just took it on myself. I even practiced on made toys, figured if they turn out good then I'm that far ahead and if not I just replace the new ring and try again. I even got a few of the various toys where I have a few made up a head but then it seems that someone always order something I don't have made up a head!!! Okay, I could go on and on ...

Thank you everyone too and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love that you are the welder now! I used to have other people do some of my wood work etc, and it's really liberating to do it all myself now :) Plus it's fun learning a new skill!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yep! For the short time my hubby was welding the orings, it was not long at all and in all my years of bird toy stuff, that's been the only time ... oh yeah he use to help me make the jolly ball toys for a while.

Yes, learning a new skill... boy there is so, so much about stainless and welding it and passivating it and ugh, its been a lot of learning. We've taken a safeer way to passivate the orings and stay clear away from the nitric acid method. That stuff would scare me to use it.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bet the Nitric Acid sounds like some pretty nasty stuff, especially if not used properly or safely.

Reactions: Jan

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nitric acid can be very hazardous so good that you are staying away from using it. Have a very nice T-giving.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, absolutely it takes special handling and I don't know if just anyone can get the stuff. It also takes a particular masks and attire to be safe. So I've had some toys welded up and awaiting the process of treating the orings so these toys I did just earlier all laid out and ready to put the Citrisurf 2310 (Citrus Acid) on them. This stuff has little or not much odor so I can safely use it with my breathing problem and it does not bother me. I wear latex gloves as the instructions say you should. If I get it on me, I just rinse my hand in water, it does not burn but that all depends on how sensitive a person's skin is.

Here are 33 toys, I welded several days ago, they weren't for any particular order, just making them up a head. I will often get numerous toys made up before passivating unless it is for an order. So I put the stuff on and I only wait 12 minutes then I rinse them under water and then dry them well with towel then I hang them up on hanger to be sure they are dried well. Say like if you order a toy today and it is early enough in the day I will make up the toy, then weld it and then passivate it then it will remain here until the next day to be sure it has dried well before it would get shipped out. Really, I don't like having to do the passivation process at all. It's only done because when you do a weld on the metal it disturbs the chromium and by passivating it where the weld is, it is removing free iron ions and forming a protective passive oxide layer on the surface, the stainless steel or other metal becomes highly resistant to rust. So they say!!

SS-Toy-Pre-Passivation-1a-221k.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The toys are beautiful Jan!

Reactions: Jan