• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

201 (202) Stainless steel parrot cage *UPDATE*

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
So I went ahead & purchased the "201" Stainless steel parrot cage, it's stamped 202 so not exactly sure why they're advertised as 201 when 202 has slightly higher manufacturing costs & corrosion resistance properties but anyway...

Received it the other day & right off the bat I noticed some sharp weld spatters, rough spots, heat tints, discolouration & minor pitting. Tested it all over with a reasonably strong magnet (not a fridge magnet) & it has no magnetic properties so It's definitely not zinc plated, chromed or gal steel trying to pass as stainless steel & i'm confident that it is in fact stainless. The only other potential i'm aware of is lead, though i've read that's highly unlikely as it would ruin the manufacturing process, i'll still be running a lead swab test later anyway & will update with results.

After researching 201/202 ss I've found out I can gently file away at the sharp/rough spots with a new clean file to not chance embedding any other metal particles that would cause rust. The properties of stainless steel will passively react to oxygen & immediately form another thin layer of chromium oxide (corrosion resistance) & the other defects shouldn't be a problem.

I decided to do some further research to see where these are actually manufactured & found a manufacturer in China selling them for $550 USD each if you purchase 50-99 of them - [Hot Item] 36" Stainless Steel Bird Cage Parrot Cage Dome Top

Also found them on Alibaba for $480 USD but charging $820 USD to ship from US to AUS... I assume they're adding costs to shipping but potentially a good price for US customers in a similar situation - 474.05US $ 5% OFF|Lhxmas SUS201 Great Size 90x60x155cm Stainless Steel Parrot Cage Dome Top Bird Cage Amazons Macaws 36''*26''*62''|Bird Cages & Nests| - AliExpress

The original price for me was AUD $1050+$75 postage - Supreme 161cm Stainless Steel Parrot Aviary Bird Cage Perch On Wheels | eBay
I haggled free postage & used a 5% Ebay code to get it for $1000 AUD. I've since caused a dispute & gotten a further $100 back for unintended clean up. All in all if you're willing to do the final clean up, $1000 or in my case $900 is considerably cheaper than my only other option for a paint chipping parrot, the featherland 304 ss cage at $3080 AUD for the same size.. which I've read have also required filing sharp edges anyway..

I'll update asap if any rust/corrosion starts to form in the future, so if I haven't updated then so far so good. Though keep in mind this will be kept indoors for a parrot that does not bathe/splash in her cage, I live in a warm/temperate climate with significant wet weather even during hottest months & about a 40 minute straight walk from the ocean so 304 may be more suitable to your situation.

Time to get the file out...

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awesome update!!

Please let us see when it’s all together and filled with bird and bird belongings.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That is almost exactly the same design as my Animal Environment "Macaw" SS - I've had mine for 20+- years. The craftsmanship on mine was immaculate. I believe, at the time it was the only SS cage made out of American produced SS in America. I paid $1,800 for mine (it was shipped free because they were coming to a bird fair in Phoenix anyway). This same model is now $4,090.

I don't have any idea what the SS quality is, but this one has stood up to 3 GW Macaws over the years and one of them was nicknamed El Destructo.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Awesome. How about some closeup photos? I am looking for a stainless also.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Awesome update!!

Please let us see when it’s all together and filled with bird and bird belongings.
Will do, unfortunately had to put it on hold due to hardware store lockdown conditions & needing a new file/wire brush for stainless.. Thought I had one but due for collection tomorrow so more photos soon!

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
That is almost exactly the same design as my Animal Environment "Macaw" SS - I've had mine for 20+- years. The craftsmanship on mine was immaculate. I believe, at the time it was the only SS cage made out of American produced SS in America. I paid $1,800 for mine (it was shipped free because they were coming to a bird fair in Phoenix anyway). This same model is now $4,090.

I don't have any idea what the SS quality is, but this one has stood up to 3 GW Macaws over the years and one of them was nicknamed El Destructo.
Holy moly & I thought Featherland cages were expensive! I guess the lifetime warranty & quality control makes up for it as I've read mixed reviews for Featherland.

20+years would be incredible but as long as this one lasts 2 years it'll still be cheaper than replacing painted cages, no potential for metal poisoning, better for the environment & giving me time to save for a 304 cage lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Will do, unfortunately had to put it on hold due to hardware store lockdown conditions & needing a new file/wire brush for stainless.. Thought I had one but due for collection tomorrow so more photos soon!
I will be grateful to see them whenever you’re ready and it suits you. I’m thinking your review may come in very handy for me :)

I have a double macaw cage that I want to move my bird into (he has other ideas!) but so far he just plays on it and sometimes in it for a few minutes before getting uncomfortable and I noticed just today that he’s dented one of the support bars so I don’t think it will last him as long as I’d like it to once he’s moved into it.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Awesome. How about some closeup photos? I am looking for a stainless also.
Check the Attachments at the bottom of the post, that's just the back panel and every other is pretty much the same with several heat tints and sharp/rough spots.
Should take 30-60 minutes of gently running fingers & filing as I've had to do it on all 6 powder coated cages for my other birds, though stainless requires a separate new/clean file to not contaminate with other particles.
Apparently the heat tints can be hand buffed out but I'm not too fussed as I've been told they're not a problem & it'd take a lot of effort to do by hand without using something that could potentially cause problems with 202 ss.

But longevity of 202 is still a mixed bag by comparison to 304 if you can afford it.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No hurry at all- just discovered it definitely does rust very very easy and my bird seriously loves seeing his water bowl splash regularly!
I’d probably have to replace a 201SS cage much more often than the powder coat ones :(

I honestly wish we had much better cage options here in Aus.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
No hurry at all- just discovered it definitely does rust very very easy and my bird seriously loves seeing his water bowl splash regularly!
I’d probably have to replace a 201SS cage much more often than the powder coat ones :(

I honestly wish we had much better cage options here in Aus.
If you're referring to the sites that claims 201/202 is "very easy to rust" they appear to be shilling their products with word trickery as they're referring to chemical corrosion (other sources also state living right on the ocean) & others also state all types of stainless, even 316, will rust under these conditions.

I cant actually find any corrosion resistance information about the 200 series or the others for that matter, regarding indoor use with occasional water sitting & drying after a short time but the two half circle panels had some fluid marks on them which wiped straight off without residue, much like water marks though I can't be certain & they've likely been sitting for 6 months considering the shop claims to have sold them since last year without issue and they're bought in lots of 50-99.
So I THINK (don't hold me liable! Lol) it's not "easy" to rust (especially indoors), it's just not quite as good as the 300 series.

I wont be using the seed guards so I might run some water splash tests every day for the next few months or until it rusts/corrodes to see how good it actually is indoors without drying, with drying after 10 minutes & drying after a minute.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you're referring to the sites that claims 201/202 is "very easy to rust" they appear to be shilling their products with word trickery as they're referring to chemical corrosion (other sources also state living right on the ocean) & others also state all types of stainless, even 316, will rust under these conditions.

I cant actually find any corrosion resistance information about the 200 series or the others for that matter, regarding indoor use with occasional water sitting & drying after a short time but the two half circle panels had some fluid marks on them which wiped straight off without residue, much like water marks though I can't be certain & they've likely been sitting for 6 months considering the shop claims to have sold them since last year without issue and they're bought in lots of 50-99.
So I THINK (don't hold me liable! Lol) it's not "easy" to rust (especially indoors), it's just not quite as good as the 300 series.

I wont be using the seed guards so I might run some water splash tests every day for the next few months or until it rusts/corrodes to see how good it actually is indoors without drying, with drying after 10 minutes & drying after a minute.
I asked my dad as he worked with SS of varying qualities all his life. He has also been at my house when Burt has dumped his water bowl more than once while we were having a coffee break lol.
Other types do rust but I have had no issues with any of the 304 or 316 SS stuff I have purchased.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
I asked my dad as he worked with SS of varying qualities all his life. He has also been at my house when Burt has dumped his water bowl more than once while we were having a coffee break lol.
Other types do rust but I have had no issues with any of the 304 or 316 SS stuff I have purchased.
Bugger, any chance he worked outdoors on the coast in an industrial polluted area? :rofl:

I might do a study anyway, quick squirt of a spray bottle in the mornings just to get something on the net regarding indoor corrosion resistance of water with 202

Fortunately our Alexandrine will only bathe outside of her cage (in the bathroom) & very very rarely tries to splash but we have a smaller diameter water bowl ready to prevent that for the 202.

There is also a larger 202 "supreme" macaw cage for 2.5k & Featherland also have a larger 304 cage at around 4k I believe which closes the gap quite a bit considering material costs of 304, I just couldn't afford the leg after spending an arm on the 202!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a double macaw cage that I want to move my bird into (he has other ideas!) but so far he just plays on it and sometimes in it for a few minutes before getting uncomfortable and I noticed just today that he’s dented one of the support bars so I don’t think it will last him as long as I’d like it to once he’s moved into it.
Dented a support bar!? This has me worried as I'm thinking of getting a double macaw cage. :(
What brand is yours?
I know my sweet chaos is hard on cages.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With a big full grown male GW, you may have to live with customized (by the bird) cages. Unless you get a 304 or better SS cage. These birds are unbelievably strong.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Dented a support bar!? This has me worried as I'm thinking of getting a double macaw cage. :(
What brand is yours?
We don’t get the same brand cages here that you guys have access to there in the US. Ours all seem to be a much lower quality, they’re all imported cheap knock offs of the ones you have available.
I can maybe get a brand name a little later today if you want.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Check the Attachments at the bottom of the post, that's just the back panel and every other is pretty much the same with several heat tints and sharp/rough spots.
Should take 30-60 minutes of gently running fingers & filing as I've had to do it on all 6 powder coated cages for my other birds, though stainless requires a separate new/clean file to not contaminate with other particles.
Apparently the heat tints can be hand buffed out but I'm not too fussed as I've been told they're not a problem & it'd take a lot of effort to do by hand without using something that could potentially cause problems with 202 ss.

But longevity of 202 is still a mixed bag by comparison to 304 if you can afford it.
Lol how about slightly less close up. I like the detail but I also want to see the design.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol how about slightly less close up. I like the detail but I also want to see the design.
Do the links in the first post not work for you?

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What brand is yours?
Do the links in the first post not work for you?
I was asking for more photos initially at all because the existing ones already provided weren’t infomative enough. It isn’t helpful to keep referring to the OP as a response. It would be more appropriate to say you aren’t interested in taking more photos.

Pitfalls of an online forum, I guess.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner