• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 year old green cheek severely acting up

Birdsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Poier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding Chewy, my GCC. He just turned two in December, and like a month or so before it's like a switch flipped. He has been HORRIBLE. I've been doing everything I can to discourage bad behaviour and give him lots of distractions, but nothing seems to be working anymore. I live in a small one bedroom apartment, and due to the wall in the living room being thin and shared with my neighbors, I have the birds in the bedroom. It's a nice quiet environment and they have everything they need. I spend lots of time with them and when they are behaving I bring them into the living room to sit on their bird stand. He's got every toy on the planet and the biggest cage, so I don't think there's anything I'M doing wrong.

He's become very attached to the bed as of late, which is fine if he just wants to chill but he's been a little horndog lately under the blankets and pillows. I remove any type of blanket that he could use. The bed is an issue because now when I let them out in the morning he immediately flies over to it. He doesn't let me hold him for very long because he always wants to be on the bed or, when in the living room, anywhere except where he should be.

My major issue is the fact that he screams at EVERYTHING. I'll be holding him, he screams. He's eating, he screams. He's hanging out in the bedroom, he screams. But worst of all, he started screaming EVERY MORNING to be let out of his cage. I cover them at night and put them to bed at a decent time. But I can never sleep past 9 anymore because he just hollers to be let out. I've made an effort to only let him out when he's being quiet and after he's taken his massive morning poop. But he sits there vibrating and hollering to be let out.

Overall point here, is that I'm at my wits end. I love him to death. I'm just so frustrated and my work and sleep are getting impacted by his horrible behaviour. Any advice is welcome. Sorry for the wall of text.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like chewie could be hormonal

Maybe try giving him more hours of darkness of a night and if you are feeding any warm mushy food maybe stop feeding this and see if this improves his mood.

Birdsbirbs

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Poier
Sounds like chewie could be hormonal

Maybe try giving him more hours of darkness of a night and if you are feeding any warm mushy food maybe stop feeding this and see if this improves his mood.
He's most definitely hormonal, he's being very temperamental. He doesn't bite but certainly likes to yell. I don't currently give him any foods that are mushy, cause my birds tend to prefer crisp, crunchy veggies and fruits.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
He's most definitely hormonal, he's being very temperamental. He doesn't bite but certainly likes to yell. I don't currently give him any foods that are mushy, cause my birds tend to prefer crisp, crunchy veggies and fruits.
shouldnt have any bed in the cage or anything soft to resemble a nest. remove the tent or hut. also just rub his head nothing else.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before you laugh- hear me out.

I helped a young college dorm living man once with the same issue.

Can you buy a tarp? Or an XL plastic shower curtain?

A terrible sounding, crunchy tarpaulin might fix this right up. The young man was about to be kicked out of his dorm because of his conure. Same thing- nesting in the bed. We fixed this by him getting up every morning, taking his pillows and stuffing them under his bed, and then tightly tucking in the tarp over his bed linens so that nothing remained to be tunneled under. The conure wasn’t pleased that the tarp wasn’t as inviting as the warm dark comforter either and the tarp acted like a baffle- win!

You’ll still want to put your conure to bed at least 14 hours- go to 16 if you need to, it will only be a few weeks, and I would hold or pet anyplace but his face or head.