• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Katsu update

ffcmm

Moving in
Real Name
grace
So it's been 2 weeks since I got my little fid Katsu. DNA tests are back and its confirmed he is a boy! I'm so pleased as from what I've been reading males are generally easier than females.

He's been a joy to be around with and I never expected myself to be THAT obsessed and attached to a little bird, but he has so much personality. I have dogs and he is very very different from a dog, yet doglike to a certain extent if that makes sense. the same curiosity, and using his beak to see explore the world & chew ( as puppies are really mouthy and bite everything). He's gotten really used to my dogs as well, and he's only in the cage when I'm at work or when he is sleeping at night. Always around us and getting involved with what we are doing.

He has gained about 11% of his body weight, but I'd say he's still a little underweight based on his keel bone. He's now 40-41g, up from the day I got him at 36g.
Finally managed to get him to switch over the harrison's high potency (but still mixing in pretty bird along with the seed mix). Still not the biggest fan of chops though.

Here are some photos from our first 2 weeks together.
photo6320813961645239264.jpg
he loves being on top of my head, or shoulder. i'd prefer it if he didn't aim for my head all the time and I'm trying to correct that by letting him land on my hand instead as it's a pain getting him out of my hair!
photo6320813961645239262.jpg
tucked into my shirt for a nap.

photo6320813961645239259.jpg
post bath, enjoying some sun. (pardon the makeshift perch, I bought a couple of things but they have yet to arrive, and I've been making do till my standalone perch arrives!)
photo6320813961645239255.jpg
Head scratches for the little man.
photo6320813961645239267.jpg
Prettiest boy!

hoping his personality doesn't change. not looking forward to his teenage years hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations on your stunning young man.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He´s gorgeous! Congrats on him being a boy :storkb:
41 isn´t such a bad weight. He´s still young and growing :) (most of mine were in the low 40s for the first year)

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Aww, he's so handsome! Also great job getting him to be so tame and snuggly in just two weeks!!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Congratulations! Such a handsome boy!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
He's so pretty :) Nice job on your training!

ffcmm

Moving in
Real Name
grace
Bought some pine nuts today, hoping they are going to be high value enough for me to start training him. I tried with millet seeds, but his attention span is really short and he ends up trying to climb on me and fly to my shoulder instead.

He doesn't do shirt snuggles all the time haha mostly prefers my shoulder. Since i've got him I had to remove a necklace I wore for 6 years because he enjoys nibbling on it.

I bought pea sprouts for him as well, and he seems to enjoy these the most so far out of he other vege I tried. I chop them up really tiny and mix in some millet seeds for him to dig around and I can see him munching away (not sure if he's eating much vege I reckon they do get in his mouth considering how fine i chopped).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I tried with millet seeds, but his attention span is really short
Try mixing up the treats all the time. To alternate between the pinenuts, millet, maybe a small piece of a smashed almond, walnut, a sesame seed etc. So he doesn´t know what treat he´ll get :)

I had to remove a necklace I wore for 6 years because he enjoys nibbling on it.
:lol: Better to remove it than have it ruined I guess. My partner bought me a ring years ago and the birds annihalated it within days. He took it back to the jewellers to try to fix it and they were like ¨wow, what happened?!¨ :roflmao:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a cutie! Lovebirds are wonderful! :heart: Just make sure he isn’t out with your dogs. We’ve had many members lose birds to dogs because they trusted them out together.

ffcmm

Moving in
Real Name
grace
I'm back for another Katsu update!

he is now 41/42 grams. have been having a little luck getting him to eat chops- sometimes he eats them but I'm not sure if he just picks out millets or harrisons depending on what I sprinkle on it... so I've started to blend them and mix it with his formula so he gets it. He's been accepting that happily. So now his formula is a mix of harrisons, chops & actual formula.

@fluffypoptarts my dogs are really gentle with him and respectful of his space so far its been good, but of course I am always watching when they are out together.

@Zara I have yet to find out what he goes nuts for! I was eating garlic sunflower seeds recently ( i did not give him any they are mine haha), and he was obsessed with the shells ( I didn't let him have any). I bought him pine nuts but they are too big and he doesn't seem very keen on them. I have not crushed them up yet but I might.

I want to encourage him to forage more. looking at him on my camera when I am at work, he goes to his food dish at intervals to pig out and eat. I left some puzzle toy and put millet seeds in and he only took out the easily accessible one and didn't move the rest at all. Think I will try some homemade toys to let him play with soon.

Picture time!

photo6057357343403912142.jpg photo6057357343403912141.jpg photo6057357343403912140.jpg
crawling around and exploring while i'm at work. Yes i have a camera in his cage (Obsessed bird mom)
photo6057357343403912143.jpg

Trimmed his nails for the first time too. He was such a good boy, handled being held by a cloth really well. I just did a little trim just to get him used to the handling.
photo6057357343403912139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: