• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 week old Lovebird Stunted growth

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Should I start putting
Her in a cage ? She’s usually out with me most of the day as she is super playful and does not like the container anymore . I was considering removing the bottom cage part and putting the shavings there with her snuggle to sleep in

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She will be ok in a cage :)
You can line the floor with a towel or blanket, and lower the perches, just in case she falls. She will also have the choice to sleep on the floor on the blanket too.
Don´t put shavings on the floor because with a flap of the wings they will be all over your home.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Oh yeah you’re right haha, thank you :)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Can anyone offer me some advice on biting ? Bambi is very sweet and has quite the personality . She’s sweet but spicy some days. She bites very hard and will not let go sometimes but I handle her daily. She has her moods so what should I do to let her know biting is not okay? I usually put her back in the cage if she bites for 5 minutes then let her out again and repeat the process if she bites again

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I usually put her back in the cage if she bites for 5 minutes then let her out again and repeat the process if she bites again
So you are saying ¨Hey, if you want mummy to take you to your (fun) cage, where all your toys, food and security is/are, then just bite me and I´ll give you a lift¨.
Best thing to do, is ignore her for 20-30 seconds. Just put her down wherever you are, and take two steps back and turn your back. Sounds stupidly simple, but it works and it is usually pretty effective.
The cage should not be used for punishment. The cage is a fun place and their safe space.

All my little ones got nippy as they were growing and learning, but it passed, though I hear Fischeri are usually a little more nippy than Roseicollis.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Makes more sense when you put it that way haha but yes I 3 and they are all very nippy .

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Good morning everyone, today for Bambi’s feeding, she wasn’t as interested in the food. She left a little bit left in the syringe and went into her cage. I’ve been giving her avi-cakes everyday which she seems to really enjoy now and has been eating them a lot more as the days go by. I’m wondering if this is why she didn’t want to finish her syringe of food and is part of the weaning process? Or is this something I should be concerned about ?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As she eats more adult foods, she will eat less baby formula until she will flat out reject the formula or just take one bite.
A bit like changing gears in a manual car, the gas pedal and clutch work in harmony, as one goes up the other goes down.

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Incase anyone wanted some
Updates, Bambi is doing great and her colors are phenomenal. Her feathers are still not in fully But she’s doing great. She’s shown a high interest in water and taking baths. Whenever I have the faucet running to wash my hands she goes right for it. Would it be okay to start giving her water to drink as well as letting Her Get a bath now ?

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwww I love her!!!!! How beautiful!!!
Her tail seems a little short, but that could just be picture angle.

Would it be okay to start giving her water to drink as well as letting Her Get a bath now ?
She should have dried food and water available all the time in her cage now.
Yes, let her bathe if she wants too :) (as often as she likes)

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
Can anyone help me with this problem ? Bambi has been weaning off formula and barely eats it anymore she prefers her seeds . But last night I put her to bed and all was fine. I woke up to poop all over my walls and floor as if it was explosive diarrhea. She’s still her happy self this morning she’s acting and looking fine flying all over the room as always but I’m wondering what could have caused this and if I should be concerned because it’s a little concerning to me .

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I woke up to poop all over my walls and floor as if it was explosive diarrhea.
Was it poop though?
Did you take a picture?

MushuLB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jenny Almodovar
I didn’t take a picture but I’m almost positive it was poop I saw hardened poop on my walls and it tried white

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge