• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 Week old baby lovebird behaviours.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I got a hygrometer and the humidity is perfect, 64, luckily the area we live in is rather humid. :) And the temp is 23-26.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Seeing as no one has yet to respond, I would say to just feed her whenever you can see that her crop is empty, or near so.
Although I am far from an avian vet. @Zara
I plan to put that in motion, so I’m just gonna keep a watchful eye. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Feed your bird the 4.5CC in the morning. Jot down the time. Then check in regularly, when you see the crop is almost empty and just has a little amount left in, work out how much time has passed. You can then use that as your guide to know when to feed. Feed the chick and then check the time for the crop to empty, it should be the same or slightly longer, but feeding at the same interval should be ok. Given the baby is 2 weeks/ 3weeks old, I would shorten the night time. At least an hour less. So do the last feed an hour later.

Did you say before why the bird is so young? It´s not a common age to sell them at. Even over here, selling unwean chicks is the norm for some reason, but they´re never 2 weeks old, always 25+ days old.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
The reason I got Solo at a young age is because i wanted to get a small little chick 2 weeks or a bit older, and it's easier to switch them over at that age, and tbh once i saw a pic of how cute she was i wanted her then and there. :)

Ok, ill do that, starting tomorrow.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Feed your bird the 4.5CC in the morning. Jot down the time. Then check in regularly, when you see the crop is almost empty and just has a little amount left in, work out how much time has passed. You can then use that as your guide to know when to feed. Feed the chick and then check the time for the crop to empty, it should be the same or slightly longer, but feeding at the same interval should be ok. Given the baby is 2 weeks/ 3weeks old, I would shorten the night time. At least an hour less. So do the last feed an hour later.

Did you say before why the bird is so young? It´s not a common age to sell them at. Even over here, selling unwean chicks is the norm for some reason, but they´re never 2 weeks old, always 25+ days old.
Just to be clear, I'll feed her in the morning 4.5 cc's. then i wait till her crop is almost empty, and i give her how much? like half of that? (Sorry for asking so many questions btw)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, I'll feed her in the morning 4.5 cc's. then i wait till her crop is almost empty, and i give her how much?
Each feed will be 4.5CC
Weigh your bird daily every morning before the first feed and jot it down. That will tell you how much to feed that day, and help you monitor weight loss/gain.
I think you will find this chart helpful, (let the link load fully and it will take you direct to the post with the chart Andrea posted);

Sorry for asking so many questions
Don´t say sorry! Ask as many questions as you need to.

because i wanted to get a small little chick 2 weeks or a bit older, and it's easier to switch them over at that age
Switch over to what?
I think I will forever disagree with this. Unless there´s a problem, I firmly believe there´s no reason to remove chicks from the nest until at least three weeks.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Each feed will be 4.5CC
Weigh your bird daily every morning before the first feed and jot it down. That will tell you how much to feed that day, and help you monitor weight loss/gain.
I think you will find this chart helpful, (let the link load fully and it will take you direct to the post with the chart Andrea posted);

Don´t say sorry! Ask as many questions as you need to.

Switch over to what?
I think I will forever disagree with this. Unless there´s a problem, I firmly believe there´s no reason to remove chicks from the nest until at least three weeks.
Switch over to hand feeding, because at 2 weeks of age, their eyes had opened a few days earlier, so they are getting used to their mom feeding them, so it' easier to switch them over at that age, to hand feeding.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Ok, so I feed her at the times ive marked, (5am then every 2 hours till 8 pm) then EVERY feed is 4.5ml/cc? i was just a bit confused with the messages. :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Switch over to hand feeding, because at 2 weeks of age, their eyes had opened a few days earlier, so they are getting used to their mom feeding them, so it' easier to switch them over at that age, to hand feeding.
This sounds like something a BYB would say just to make the sale.
3-4 week old chicks will take food fairly quickly from a new person. At most they might not eat as much in the first day but will eat in the end.

i was just a bit confused with the messages. :)
Yea, so when you wake up do a feed. Then jot down the time, for eg. 5am. Then monitor the chick. When the food is almost all digested, take note of the time, and feed again.
Now using the two times, you can work out how long it takes your chick to digest one crop full of food. Carry on feeding throughout the day up until bedtime. You can feed an extra little bit at bedtime but again, don´t over do it, an extra half CC is ok.
Now you can look back and see how many feeds you did that day and at what times, use that as your guide for the next day.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I actually asked a different guy that owns a pet store, it’s a niceness place called creatures and critters, and he cares for all the pets. And he said it would be easier, and the private breeder I Got the lovebird from also cares for the birds.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Hi. So after 3 days of using hat schedule I’ve worked out the times perfectly, so thanks a lot for sending me the link. :D

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
This sounds like something a BYB would say just to make the sale.
3-4 week old chicks will take food fairly quickly from a new person. At most they might not eat as much in the first day but will eat in the end.

Yea, so when you wake up do a feed. Then jot down the time, for eg. 5am. Then monitor the chick. When the food is almost all digested, take note of the time, and feed again.
Now using the two times, you can work out how long it takes your chick to digest one crop full of food. Carry on feeding throughout the day up until bedtime. You can feed an extra little bit at bedtime but again, don´t over do it, an extra half CC is ok.
Now you can look back and see how many feeds you did that day and at what times, use that as your guide for the next day.
@Zara -- I must say... you're just a wonder! Thank you for EVERY SINGLE INPUT you make! :)

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Hi again! Back with another question. :huh:

So every now and again she doesn’t this weird thing, she flaps her wings a lot, and very fast, then all of a sudden she’s gets this sudden burst of adrenaline and she’s runs around for like 5 seconds, and then calms down. Is this normal behaviour?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you have a video?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Unfortunately whenever she does it my phone isn’t with me. And another question, I’ve just fed her 10 minutes ago and I noticed she wasn’t having the food as she usually does, almost like she wasn’t enjoying it like usual. And The temperature was perfect. I’m worried she might be getting sour crop?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not eating all the food in one feeding can be something or nothing.

. I’m worried she might be getting sour crop?
If that crop was not mostly empty you should not have fed the chick.
If it was almost empty, then your bird does not have sour crop.

If you notice the crop slowing down, emptying slower than usual, try the papaya cream tecnique to help before it gets worse.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I contacted the seller of Solo, and the lady says she’s just starting to wean and so her crop starts shrinking. So I’ve been feeding her until her crop is full, and am spoon feeding her now. She is also slowly learning to eat seed.