• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 Week old baby lovebird behaviours.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
That’s what it is, but it’s not like that all the time. Sometimes she yawns a lot like that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
See what @Zara thinks about it when she sees it.

Is the temperature in the brooder the right temperature?
Is the food being fed at the right temperature?
Is the crop emptying as it should be?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
The temperature is around 25 deg celcius in the brooder, and the food is being fed at 35-42 deg celcius, and her crop was emptied this morning before I fed her.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I think it’s just re adjusting the crop because she does it after she eats most of the time, but like always I’m worrying about this little fragile birdie.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think it’s just re adjusting the crop because she does it after she eats most of the time, but like always I’m worrying about this little fragile birdie.
I think it is too but I haven’t got experience raising parrots (only chooks, emus, ostriches and a few other poultry birds) so Zara will give you her opinion as soon as she’s back online. She might be a few hours but I don’t believe what we see in the footage is a huge concern that needs answers right now.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Ye
I think it is too but I haven’t got experience raising parrots (only chooks, emus, ostriches and a few other poultry birds) so Zara will give you her opinion as soon as she’s back online. She might be a few hours but I don’t believe what we see in the footage is a huge concern that needs answers right now.
yes, me too.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Ok, I'll take the other one out, that's probably what he's doing when i say he sorta levitates, he's pooping. XD
Why don't you put the 2nd sock on the opposite corner, since you have it half on the heating pad. Tho at this age, he won't be able to travel that far by himself.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can´t see very well, but the crop being almost empty makes me think they are hungry. The motions in the video look like begging for food rather than yawning.
Be sure you are feeding a good 10% of the birds body weight, if they want a few beakfulls extra you can but don´t over do it.

What is the humidity in your brooder?Try keeping it between 60-65 (5 above or below that is ok too)

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
It’s not really a brooder, it’s a bird container with wood chips and a heat pad below it, so I don’t know the humidity. Also, she was just taken out of the nest 2 days ago, so she was still getting used to hand feeding, so I’ve just stated being able to give her a full5-6 milligrams of formula this afternoon. And I think after I took that video I fed her.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How much does your bird weigh first thing in the morning? (you can use the kitchen scales, to the nearest gram is a good enough reading)

I do not believe your bird is over 50g, I just don´t. They look about high 30/40s meaning the feed should be around the 4CC mark. You don´t want to over feed, it can stretch the crop. Feeding less, more often is the best way to feed. The bird will have food to digest all day long, without the risk of stretching the crop. Weigh the bird when the corp is empty next.

Please don´t be so blasé RE the humidity, it really is quite important, and if you wanted to buy that tiny unweaned, featherless chick, you made a promise and you should take responsibility. Buy a hygrometer, you can find them on amazon if no local shops have them.
If you need to increase the humidity, you can do that by putting a moist kitchen paper towel folded up on a small plate in a corner of the brooder.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I will look if my granny has one, and I live in SA, so I don’t have amazon, and I do want to check it, if I can, I will.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You might find them in some shops that sell reptile equipment if you have any where like that near you? Or some other online site.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
You might find them in some shops that sell reptile equipment if you have any where like that near you? Or some other online site.
I’m going to get one from my grandma so I’ll Tell you what the humidity is when I get it.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I would just like to ask, what will happen if the humidity isn’t correct?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I'm currently feeding her like 5 milligrams at 5 am 9 am 1 pm 5 pm and 9 pm, and you say less more often is better, (so the crop doesn't stretch) so what hours do you think i should feed her?

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
Seeing as no one has yet to respond, I would say to just feed her whenever you can see that her crop is empty, or near so.
Although I am far from an avian vet. @Zara

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Seeing as no one has yet to respond, I would say to just feed her whenever you can see that her crop is empty, or near so.
Although I am far from an avian vet. @Zara
There are answers above clearly describing what needs to be done.