• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 Week old baby lovebird behaviours.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Today i got a baby lovebird at 2 weeks old and im hand feeding her, and she's been burrowing into the wood chips, and planting her head into them and looks like eating them, and shes also hovering over it with just her feet and head touching the chips sometimes. I don't know if this is normal behaviour for them but im worried about it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A photo of video clip would help.
A photo of the set up will help if you want any additional advice.

At two weeks old, the little ones should be in the nest with their parent IMO. But they will all crawl to each other. So if one falls over and away from the huddle, they will always wiggle back to them. Not sure if that is what you are trying to describe, the chick seeking their clutchmates.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I'm sorry about your loss of your other bird you posted a little while ago. Have you taken this one to the vet for a check up? Always a good idea.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
That’s the burrowing I was talking about, this site doesn’t allow videos.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So when you have a clutch, they will huddle, then wiggle up to each other and then tuck their heads under the other birds and use this method to keep warm. The hen then broods on top and maintains a good temp for them all, and will move away when the huddle is too warm.

What you are seeing is your bird not having a huddle to snuggle into. What you can do is give them a snuggle buddy. A small soft toy - some baby toys are good options because they are small for babies to hold. Be sure there´s no loose parts, threads or buttons. The item needs to be small so it can´t topple over on the chick. Failing finding something small enough, you can use a clean rolled up sock. Roll it nice and tight. Place it near a corner but not touching the corner. Make a small dip with your fish down into the shavings for the bird and his buddy to go in.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Thanks, I will roll up a little sock now, maybe 2 or 3. :D

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just one will do. You don´t want the little guy trapped between them. Remember that the bird will wiggle back to poop too.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
This is the setup I've got, i put a little heating pad so it just covers one side, so if it's too hot then she can move. :)

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Just one will do. You don´t want the little guy trapped between them. Remember that the bird will wiggle back to poop too.
Ok, I'll take the other one out, that's probably what he's doing when i say he sorta levitates, he's pooping. XD

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pick the chick up and put her next to the sock.

Incase you are wondering, her feather's are looking violet.
She looks just like some of mine when they were young :)

Make a small dip with your fish down into the shavings for the bird and his buddy to go in.
**fist not fish

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Back with another question. -_-

So Solo is yawning a lot and from my research, it's trying to get something out, that's supposedly "yawning" a lot. So i was looking for ways to get whatever's stuck in there out. If you have any ideas?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I would just like to say thanks again, because my worries about my birds have been going away ever since i joined this community. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Back with another question. -_-

So Solo is yawning a lot and from my research, it's trying to get something out, that's supposedly "yawning" a lot. So i was looking for ways to get whatever's stuck in there out. If you have any ideas?
Sometimes birds do what looks like a yawn to adjust their crop or if their ears are itchy. They don’t always do it because there’s a problem but doing it excessively is something to not ignore.
A video would be helpful for those who can assist you with information.
You will need to link your footage from another site such as Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Sometimes birds do what looks like a yawn to adjust their crop or if their ears are itchy. They don’t always do it because there’s a problem but doing it excessively is something to not ignore.
A video would be helpful for those who can assist you with information.
You will need to link your footage from another site such as Instagram, Facebook, YouTube etc
Ok, I’ll upload a video to YouTube for a private thing, and I’ll send you the link.