• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 to 4 over night?

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Hello guys :) I am in a major dilemma right now. I have been offered two parakeets for $20 just so the owner can get rid of them. Her mom said that she wants them gone because "they are to loud and very stupid birds!". All i know is if they don't find a home soon the mom is going to handle it her self. Like i said i don't know anything about the guys besides they are yellow and blue. My main worry is that i just brought home Journey and don't want to take on more than i can handle. I know that i can handle two healthy parakeets, but if they are sick it going to be a huge challenge. I would love to have two more babies to love. I am just worried. What should i do? Oh what should i do?

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Keeping in mind quarantine and a wellness check/disease testing if you take them...definitely because you have two other birds. Also, their cage may be too small and they may need new toys also. If you could take care of all that, then go for it! :D

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
They would be getting a cage no matter what, London and Journey are getting a new one so they new birds would getting there cage. Vet covered, toys too. Just worried, more worried that i don't no anything about them. All i can ever get out of the people is they want them gone.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
What are you worried about specifically though? Like what their behavior is like? I would just assume they are like other parakeets who aren't too big on interacting (physically) with people and enjoy the company of each other. They will probably need some time to settle in and get adjusted to all the changes. Just the change in environment and overall attitude towards them could really help them relax too.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Im not worried about them not wanting to interact with me, i am used to it lol :hehe: I guess that i am more worried that Journey is going to hear them and want to be with them instead of London. They are forming a bond now, but is not all there. I don't want to chance that, that's the only reason i got him. Am I over thinking or is that i a possibility? I am such a worry bug :(

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I guess the way I look at it is that nothing is ever set in stone with parrots. Even though they are starting to bond now, in an unknown amount of time that could change. How old are your other two birds? A cockatiel and parrotlet?

One day they could all get along or they would all need separate out of cage time. It is just something that you would have to be prepared for.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
A Cockatiel and parakeet. *My sis colored the picture not knowing the difference.*

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I don't want to seem like your concern isn't valid... but I don't see the harm in them all coexisting. You would be lucky if they all tolerated each others company and could have out of cage time together. A bond really can't be forced between two or more parrots.

Sorry I don't know the history, but did you get the cockatiel for the parakeet or the other way around? I don't know much about parakeets but I have read many times that they enjoy the company of their kind. If your parakeet is tolerating/enjoying the company of the other two after quarantine/vet check, then that is a win in my opinion.

Another idea if you don't want to risk the two you have now not bonding (which may not happen anyway either way), is to take these two parakeets in, get them vet care, better diets if needed, and try to find them a new home that will keep providing the care they need.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
I got the parakeet for my Cockateil, even though many have said not to do it. I looked for a long time to find one that would fit with my cockateil. And like you said it doesn't matter who bonds with who. As long as everyone is happy. I think i am going to go ahead and bring them home. Hopefully the two new birds heath is okay.

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't take more birds if you can't handle it. It sounds like you are under the support of your parents right now (please correct me if I'm wrong) and it sounds like your mom is already against having them. Should they get sick, how would you care for their needs? In addition, they could get your current two sick.

Also be mindful that cockatiels tend to get picked on by budgies. Your current 1 budgie may be fine with your 1 tiel, but you are adding 2 more budgies making it 3 budgies to 1 tiel -- the tiel will be picked on. Last thing to consider, what are the sexes of the two budgies you are considering? What sex is your current budgie? Having 2 female budgies for 1 male budgie is going cause a lot of grief and fighting well when they get hormonal. Females are more aggressive to males they see as their mates.

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Please don't take more birds if you can't handle it. It sounds like you are under the support of your parents right now (please correct me if I'm wrong) and it sounds like your mom is already against having them. Should they get sick, how would you care for their needs? In addition, they could get your current two sick.

Also be mindful that cockatiels tend to get picked on by budgies. Your current 1 budgie may be fine with your 1 tiel, but you are adding 2 more budgies making it 3 budgies to 1 tiel -- the tiel will be picked on. Last thing to consider, what are the sexes of the two budgies you are considering? What sex is your current budgie? Having 2 female budgies for 1 male budgie is going cause a lot of grief and fighting well when they get hormonal. Females are more aggressive to males they see as their mates.
I do live with my parents but I pay for my pets and i decided to wait on adding any more birds for right now.