• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures 2 Rescues: Hawkeye the Hawkhead and Mango the Amazon!

Jessiemay

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessie
Hi all,
I posted Hawkeye my HH parrot over on the Hawkhead species page, but thought I would put both rescues here!

Hawkeye_May2022.jpg Mango_May2022.jpg
I recently adopted Hawkeye and Mango together, as they are supposedly a "bonded pair". They have a huge cage that is split in half by bars that they share (but cannot really get to each other). At the rescue they did often hang out in the top back near each other, preening each other and seeming to comfort each other. However, once I got them home, they've wanted nothing to do with each other. In fact - Mango walked over and put his birdie foot on Hawks head and gave him a bite. After that incident, I've kept them totally separate and they have no interest in each other at all, good or bad.

Hawk has a leg band and is about 20 years old. Mango does not have a leg band so sadly we will never know his age. They were presented to me as boys, but really we don't know. They seem quite happy with me, though they both are VERY upset by hands. I can hand feed them treats just fine, but if I don't have a treat they can be triggered by simply seeing my hand. We're working on it, slowly but surely. I've spent about 4 months with these birds and they've come a long way. I know they were in this particular rescue for at least 4-5 years.

I'd love any advice for getting past this trust hurdle with them. I know it takes time, which I'm happy to give.

2 funny things: Mango loves to explore on the floor and he looks so funny when he does. Hawk loves to sing, dance, and laugh like an evil genius! I'll get some videos up soon of his antics.
Mango_OnFloor_May2022.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and help I've gotten so far on this forum! I love to read about all your birds and just want to make sure my new flock is thriving. Also - don't worry about the chords here, the birds are supervised or chords are away when they are free-range chickens as I call them :)

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They both are soooo beautiful! Lucky you.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mango is so handsome as well! They are both simply stunning :heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yayyyyyy!!!

Mango is adorable. Just FYI, my best buddy MC bit me two different times when I would walk close to Secret's cage. Mine didn't like sharing attention.

Oddly, I could get them each to try new foods by using the attention thought. I could say I bet MC would like this..... and holding the bowl toward his cage before putting it in Secret's.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hi! Lovely birds you have!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :D

Jessiemay

Real Name
Jessie
Yayyyyyy!!!

Mango is adorable. Just FYI, my best buddy MC bit me two different times when I would walk close to Secret's cage. Mine didn't like sharing attention.

Oddly, I could get them each to try new foods by using the attention thought. I could say I bet MC would like this..... and holding the bowl toward his cage before putting it in Secret's.
So far they haven’t displayed jealousy, but I do use the willingness of one for something to pique the curiosity of the other… and it works!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just wondered if that was why Mango bit Hawk on the head.

Can't imagine spending that long in a rescue waiting for a home.... no wonder they bonded there.

Jessiemay

Real Name
Jessie
I just wondered if that was why Mango bit Hawk on the head.

Can't imagine spending that long in a rescue waiting for a home.... no wonder they bonded there.
You would think, and it could be but Mango generally dislikes attention. I think he was just waiting for years to tell Hawk “shut up!” … maybe not haha.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I rescued my two amazons, I had them in separate cages. My kids were coming home for a visit with their large dog. I started moving the first cage to the bedroom and the DRAMA from MC in his cage across the room was like, "we had a great home and you BLEW it for us!"

Jessiemay

Real Name
Jessie
When I rescued my two amazons, I had them in separate cages. My kids were coming home for a visit with their large dog. I started moving the first cage to the bedroom and the DRAMA from MC in his cage across the room was like, "we had a great home and you BLEW it for us!"
Ha!! Too funny. They can be quite particular can’t they?? Mine got really upset with me for wearing blue nail polish he didn’t like. Wasn’t happy until it was GONE. Now I have to check with them before I pick a color that may trigger them

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I never had a color trigger here..... or hair in a towel.... or even when my eyes were dilated! Wouldn't you think that should affect an Amazon?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They are both so gorgeous :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are beautiful.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Both of them are stunning. :heart2:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Beautiful, sounds like they have landed in a good home

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1:

Beautiful rescues! Can’t wait to see more of them :)