• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 new rehomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Yay again for Mollywood Avian Sanctuary - always a work in progress but work for the greater good is never over..lol

Any how.. I am now fostering 2 more conures (just call it the conure kingdom) Until the first of the year.. working on getting the baby to stop plucking.. Just wanted to let everyone know

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Aww they sure are lucky little ones for you to take them in

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for taking them in and thanks for sharing

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw thanks for taking them in :)

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
thanks.. all mybirds have been rehomes - and i think i would like to keep it that way for my own mental well being.. We have a few issues to address but i think we are getting somewhere.. gotta say i love conures they seem to really roll with the punches... They are already getting the swing of things, and eating mostly good, although they are pellet hounds....

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yay again for Mollywood Avian Sanctuary - always a work in progress but work for the greater good is never over..lol

Any how.. I am now fostering 2 more conures (just call it the conure kingdom) Until the first of the year.. working on getting the baby to stop plucking.. Just wanted to let everyone know
Awesome! Good for you!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Awww thanks for being so caring and taking in more conures! That's so awesome!

I think I'm going to seriously look for one after the holidays... I can't wait to see if I can find a cuddly snuggly boo!

Do we get to see pics of your most recent acquisitions?

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Okay BF has been letting me pick her brain perhaps a few other people can to. The owner has had them caged together in a large cage since he purchased the baby (MBC-maroon belly conure). they have always done fine until the more recent disaster struck - he hit hard times (not my story to share so a much abbreviated one missing some of the vitals im sure) and in a rush the birds were put into a much smaller cage and a never changing schedule..
Poor MBC started to pluck himself and his buddy the WEC (white eyed conure). So the owner contact MW to find out about options he didn't want them stressed or plucking (but couldn't do anything himself just yet). In the end the decision was made to foster in steps me - the owner seems like a wonderful man who just hit hard times.. he has cared for his "babies" great!

So now to the advice. Now the 2 are in a bigger cage stuffed full of toys and with foraging galor. MBC now attacks WEC when they are eating and is showing some other highly territorial behavior (when we aren't even near them) The question becomes would it be better to house them seperately but next to each other and allow free play time together OUT of the cage? or will this cause MBC to pluck more (not that any of us will know until its tried)
I know how BF and i feel im looking for more opinions or ideas.. I want the best for his birds, and they aren't mine to make this change really- but if a temporary seperation makes them eat more of the GOODS i give them (other wise MB eats most of the good stuff first) and stop plucking then i think it would be wise at least for a while...

thoughts please?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I agree to seperate them, but keep the cages near each other. The seperate cages could also stop the plucking. It is possible that the change has kind of "changed theyre minds" about each other. Sharing no more. LOL.
I would seperate into 2 cages and give the out of cage time together if they tolerate that. You will notice feathers missing or at the bottom of the cage. Good luck and keep us updated.

Trice

Real Name
Trice
Haylie,

Hi! That's so nice.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I agree to seperate them, but keep the cages near each other. The seperate cages could also stop the plucking. It is possible that the change has kind of "changed theyre minds" about each other. Sharing no more. LOL.
I would seperate into 2 cages and give the out of cage time together if they tolerate that. You will notice feathers missing or at the bottom of the cage. Good luck and keep us updated.

I agree! I'm sure it's highly stressful for the both birds. I would separate them too!

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Okay thanks everyone - i talked to the original owner (still owner) and he said they never did live together until the change in his situation, just had lots of together time out of the cage which they loved and their was no plucking - he also gave me a TON more info as to their lives, and everything he has done (what a great parront).. Last we talked he was all for it - i am double checking again today with the back up of research i have done and the promise that if the plucking starts back up (or resumes, i haven't seen feathers yet, but its only been just over a week) that i will move them back in. Tonight i will be setting up Spicolis own cage and provided their daddy is okay with it will begin the move tonight at bed time so i can check the plucking status before work, and after work. I find SO much joy in helping others i would love to become a full time foster parent (provided my hubby doesn't kill me lol)..

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Let us know how the move goes with them. I am interested to see how they react to theyre own things again. I am sure all around they will be happy. have you been offering any foraging toys for the plucking? How about paper balls, or wiffle balls filled with paper and nuts? Just a suggestion. I keep beaks as busy as possible here, I have tons of pluckers.

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
Crystal - i have been i can't get alex to play with anything other than my hand (not even for seeds!!!!) But Spicoli and i are working on learning to forage.. He is so much like felix it cracks me up (hes not as lovie as fefe yet but boy he loves any new food i give him!)

So I moved them apart. Spicoli go tthe familiar smaller cage that they had been living in before. Needless to say not a single feather on the bottom of the cage! not a one! Alex didn't have any in her cage either! So far so good but its only been since monday night. Alex however did find her way into felix' cage last night and played in his happy hut so i moved hers in hopes that she will use her own too.. Everything so far is great! Spicoli calls for her for a minute after they go to bed then he settles in too. they still hang out a ton so i bet they are thrilled to have all their own space stuff and food again!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Thank you so much for helping out the Conures. It means a great deal. :hug8:

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
It's wonderful your helping these fids out. Keep up the good work!

Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies.