• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Hello everyone! My GW is 2 months now and i have a few questions.
He tries to climb out of his box 3-4 times a day mostly after hand feeding and throws out some feed while trying to do so. My question is when should i put him in a cage? He doesn't perch yet but was able to climb out of a half feet deep basket.
he has been trying more and more everyday to get out of his box. If i put him in a cage with very low perches will he be able to walk on the cage floor with bars?
also when should i start offering him soft food? What should i start with?
please help. Thanks!

Attachments

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
Hello everyone! My GW is 2 months now and i have a few questions.
He tries to climb out of his box 3-4 times a day mostly after hand feeding and throws out some feed while trying to do so. My question is when should i put him in a cage? He doesn't perch yet but was able to climb out of a half feet deep basket.
he has been trying more and more everyday to get out of his box. If i put him in a cage with very low perches will he be able to walk on the cage floor with bars?
also when should i start offering him soft food? What should i start with?
please help. Thanks!
Your baby is climbing out of the basket because it’s bored and curious. You can start introducing to a cage now, just cover the bars on the majority of the floor while learning to walk on them. Those feet are huge and they learn pretty quick. Keep access to the basket for sleeping as long as our baby wants, it’s a safe and secure space.

You can start offering some fresh and steamed vegetables. Cut them in different shapes and sizes. Offer some warm and some at room temp. Only offer a couple pieces at a time, a couple times a day and expect a lot of waste at first. You can also add in some pieces of shelled nuts and seeds.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Your baby is climbing out of the basket because it’s bored and curious. You can start introducing to a cage now, just cover the bars on the majority of the floor while learning to walk on them. Those feet are huge and they learn pretty quick. Keep access to the basket for sleeping as long as our baby wants, it’s a safe and secure space.

You can start offering some fresh and steamed vegetables. Cut them in different shapes and sizes. Offer some warm and some at room temp. Only offer a couple pieces at a time, a couple times a day and expect a lot of waste at first. You can also add in some pieces of shelled nuts and seeds.
So sheets will work on floor? Is basket necessary in the cage?

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
So sheets will work on floor? Is basket necessary in the cage?
You will have to watch and see how your baby reacts to the sheet. Are you able to just remove the grates?

I would continue using the basket at night as long as the baby wants to sleep in the basket and at least for a couple days leave the basket in all day.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
You will have to watch and see how your baby reacts to the sheet. Are you able to just remove the grates?

I would continue using the basket at night as long as the baby wants to sleep in the basket and at least for a couple days leave the basket in all day.
I wont be able to get the basket in the cage as the cage’s door is small and i cant get the grates out. Can i put him in the cage all day and put him in the basket for the night?
i just fed him he wasnt interested at all he was trying to climb out.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
I wont be able to get the basket in the cage as the cage’s door is small and i cant get the grates out. Can i put him in the cage all day and put him in the basket for the night?
i just fed him he wasnt interested at all he was trying to climb out.
if you can’t get that basket in the cage, how can you safely get your bird in and out of that cage???

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
B
if you can’t get that basket in the cage, how can you safely get your bird in and out of that cage???
Basket is REALLY big. A fully grown macaw can get in and out safely through the door.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could put a thick layer of paper over the bars to keep the feet from falling between them. You won't need it very long. Once they are in a cage with bars they turn into winged monkeys and within a few days, your little one will be climbing all over the place.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
So
You could put a thick layer of paper over the bars to keep the feet from falling between them. You won't need it very long. Once they are in a cage with bars they turn into winged monkeys and within a few days, your little one will be climbing all over the place.
So i should put him in now? This is what i have done with the cage.

Attachments

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So

So i should put him in now? This is what i have done with the cage.
that would work. What’s covering to top? Is it part of the cage or a piece of wood or something? It looks open and insecure from what I can see. Greenwing are very strong and curious. You have to be aware of safety because they can quickly get themselves into trouble. More than once I’ve had to rescue my little one from something stupid she did, or something in the cage that I hadn’t realized she could hurt herself on.