• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 issues

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
Ok so I am having two problems with Ragu. I wouldn't even call them problems because they are so minor and he is perfect in every other way. But if possible I would like to put an end to them. The first issue is when he is sitting on my lap (and sometimes on my hand, but especially on my lap) after getting a few scritches he will immediately regurgitate for me. He takes the time to form it into a perfect ball before placing it on my lap.needless to ,say as flattered,as I am I do not want stinky barf balls on me all the time lol. Will ignoring him stop this? I usually tell him thanks but no thanks, but I realized today I am just reinforcing the behavior.idk if ignoring will work for love barging on me haha. And number two is screaming while I am having a conversation. He used to scream bloody murder when I left he room, but after a few weeks or ignoring him and then praising him when he is quiet that has stopped, but now if I am talking to my bf or on the phone, Ragu feels like he has to join in...at an ear shattering level. I feel like this one will be harder to break because obviously if I am on the phone with the gas company or something, I can't ask them to hold on until my bird stops screaming so I can praise him, thry woukd hang up on me lol. Does anyone else have or had this problem and how did you break it if at all? Sorry if my grammar isn't perfect. I'm at work right now on my phone and typing this while waiting to start closing up the store lol

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Ragu thinks HE is your boyfriend, not that male human you talk to on the phone! His little 'gifts' of regurg are the equivalent of giving a human a box of chocolates.:rofl: Plus, how dare you talk to that human male on the phone and ignore Ragu when he is sitting right there! Honestly, have you no manners? :omg:

I do not have a macaw. I did have a problem with my cock Meyers, Hobbs, regurging for me and my vet instructed me to put Hobbs down and leave him when he started to bring up is regurg as a way of discouraging his gifts. It worked and he did stop giving me gifts, but then started masturbating on my hands instead! :eek: So I substituted a small stuffed teddy bear between my hand and his vent and got him hooked on using the stuffed animal instead of my hand. Hobbs happily used his bear for his masturbation for the rest of his life.

Telephone screaming, I never conquored. I just do not talk on the phone in the birdroom, ever, as the birds, all of them, insist on participating in the conversation. So I make sure I leave the room when I answer the phone and complete the call before I go back into the birdroom. Is it possible for you to go into a different room when speaking on the phone, away from Ragu and out of his sight?

Like I said, no macaw experience, but I did have problem with both your issues.

Ragu

Haha welllll if I Have to pick between the two...I think I'll go with the barf lol. I already have a dog with a "hump bear" and that's bad enough. He literally cries and has a fit if I put it in his toy basket (well I won't touch the thing so I kick it in there lol) and I really don't want another "love toy" around lol. I really need to find a replacement for Bos bear but I fear what will happen if I throw it way. It doesn't even have stuffing anymore aggression years of his twice daily romp lol. It's so gross, but he has needs and it's better then my pillows...or my leg, which thankfully he has never done lol. And for the phone convos I always answer the phone in another room and he still hears me talking and Chimes in. Usually have to go outside to be heard lol. And my bf and I could be sitting on the couch while Ragu is in the kitchen on his playstand and if I speak for more then a few words he starts interrupting...so either he hates my stories and wants to drown them out...or he doesn't want me to explain anything to Ryan so that he does everything wrong...which is very possible since he hates Ryan lol. Maybe he is hoping if he can't hear me tell him how to wash whites and he does it wrong that I will leave him and Ragu will have me all to himself Hahahah

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
My male amazon is always regurging for the women in his life (and humping things). Maybe I'm wrong here, but I just ignore him and let him do it. Nature has made unneutered male animals to be always ready to mate so that when females cycle, reproduction can happen. Pete is happy to have a stuffed animal or a balled up T shirt to hump, and if it keeps him from humping me, then I'm pleased :lol: And afterwards he's happy and we aren't having any of the difficult male amazon hormonal problems, so I may be a bit unconventional in my thinking, but it's working well for us.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As you call his natural regurgitation "barf balls" the bird is just showing love for you. He will pick up on your feeling of disgust with his natural behavior. Try not putting him in your lap. Also try understanding birds natural behaviors from learned bad behaviors. It is a small price to pay for a lovely bird in your life.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, I don't encourage him but I don't get upset either. I just stay neutral :) It washes off so what's a little barf between friends?

Ragu

I DO understand that this is a natural thing for them to do, and that he is showing me affection. i am not even that worried about the love barf, it is gross but not an inconvenience like the screaming over me is. That is my main issue. With winter right around the corner i would rather not have to go outside for every phone call lol. Like i said i did get him to stop screaming when i left the room through ignoring then praising, maybe i need to make fake phone calls so that i can praise him when he stops screaming i can praise him while still having a conversation?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
When my mom called I let her have a couple of seconds with the birds and she would say hi etc. •That pleased them and left me to my conversation. •A bird would say something and I would answer their question. •Flocks call and talkl to each other. •Being quiet is not the trick. •Redirecting the conversation may help.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Mine will usually calm down after I've been on the phone for a few minutes. Sometimes though I have to hide in the bathroom or some other room :lol:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I DO understand that this is a natural thing for them to do, and that he is showing me affection. i am not even that worried about the love barf, it is gross but not an inconvenience like the screaming over me is. That is my main issue. With winter right around the corner i would rather not have to go outside for every phone call lol. Like i said i did get him to stop screaming when i left the room through ignoring then praising, maybe i need to make fake phone calls so that i can praise him when he stops screaming i can praise him while still having a conversation?
That's sure worth a try. I cannot have a phone convo around Wasabi. Scream-o-rama.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a big proponent of the redirect. My Red Front likes to regurge for my toes. I think they wiggle like tiny hatchlings and bring out her maternal instincts; she is very gentle and loving to them. :D I see her getting all misty-eyed and mommy-like, and I redirect her to a toy, a treat, or a game. :) With the screaming, I sympathize. I have a bunch of birdies here that like to scream when I'm on the phone. Sometimes, I'll just go around with a handful of in-shell nuts right after I answer the phone, and then sneak upstairs, and if their beaks are full, I can talk for a few minutes without worry of being interrupted. With the macs especially, the nutshells are appealing to chew and crack even after the nutmeat is gone, and I can count on a little extra time from that too :)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Honestly I think most of us have the phone problem :D

Pete is regurging right now because he's looking at Rowdy's butt :rolleyes: I do think living with a large male bird is different from living with a large female one :hehe: He is just perpetually hormonal!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am glad to hear the majority of my fellow members understand the regurg balls and the masturbation is normal and doesn't interfere with it too much. I steadfastly believe we should allow our birds a sexual outlet, whether it is a mate of their species, a different species or our hand or in substitute, a stuffed animal or object of their choice. My budgies, all cocks, have decided they prefer to masturbate on the fluffy lump at the end of one of the extra large boings that hang from the ceiling. During mating season they would jump on that lump one after the other to satisfy their urges! Hilarious! I named them the Budgie Hump a Lump Team! :rofl: They were insatiable.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with Holiday. End the lap 'session' before the regurg part, and redirect to a playstand, toys, treats, foraging, boings, roadways, get a grip, anything else to do. And cordless phones for the other issue....problems solved.:D

Ragu

I am glad everyone else seems to have the phone issue as well, so it must just be a bird thing. and as far as cordless phones...all our phones are cordless....because they are cell phones lol. We got rid of our home phone when we realized we never use them and everybody calls us on our cells anyway. I just got back from a family reunion out of town so i have not gotten to try the mock phone calls yet. Ragu is coming to work with me today, since he only saw his "Auntie" who was house sitting the kiddos while we were away for the weekend, and he missed me like crazy! So maybe we will start phone training at work since it is monday and we will be slow.