• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 green cheeks?! opinions?

itsolivia.

Moving in
Real Name
olivia
i have a 3 year old GCC who used to be around other parrots. his past owner said he was friendly with other birds. i’ve been looking to get him a friend and i came across a 4 month old GGC conure behind rehomed. the owner said he got along with a budgie. would it be a good idea to get my GCC a friend since i am a student ? any advice or opinions?

Reactions: Ali

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I did this while also a student a couple years ago. I had Echo, my first GCC, for about 1.5yrs maybe two before I got Olive, who was just a 6month old baby.
I didn’t know if Echo got along with birds at the point, but I was also getting another bird for myself, so I wasn’t worried.
They ended up getting along great, and Echo was happier with another bird since I was in class for a couple hours every day.

My advice:
Be prepared if they don’t get along. this means that you should have the space for two cages if things don’t work out. You can’t force two birds who don’t like each other in one cage.

Don’t introduce them right away. You should quarantine so as not to introduce illness to your birds. I took olive to the vet the day I bought her and had a complete wellness check done. I waited for the results to come back before introducing them. This was a shorter period than what is normally recommended (30days) but my vet said it was okay since the tests came back normal. After the quarantine period, let them see each other but don’t force introductions. It could be a slow process or a quick one.