• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 Feeds / day feed times?

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Rooster and goose have been on 3 feeds for about a week / week and a half and ive been noticing their not taking as much formula in the middle of the day so ive been decresing food in the middle feed over the past 3 days.

What i need to know is what time do i feed them tomorrow morning if they go to 2 feeds a day? I've just fed them now at 10:00 PM

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi David,

Glad to hear you are down from the last. You are still on 3 feeds? I remember 2 weeks ago you were trying to get them weaned and were going to just do a morning and night feed, how did that go? Did they cry or scream for food and you had to go back to the 3x? Any luck getting them familiar with the chop and pellets that you got?

Go check out Zara’s advice again, I don’t want to misquote but I think instead of decreasing the amount in the middle feed, she recommended you cutting it out altogether and just offering the morning and night and chop and pellet after the formula feeds.

Your babies aren’t much younger than mine, I remember you saying they were 4 weeks but I think it was determined that they were about 1-2 weeks older, considering that they both can fly well and were fully feathered. They are about 2 weeks behind mine so now they are at 8 weeks, does that sound right? I can’t remember without going through old threads:eek:

I ask because (all babies are different!) but mine transitioned in just a few days. After I cut out a feeding, they became more self sufficient, trying out pellets if they were hungry. It was like a bit of battle of the wills but we got there. I was always there to offer formula if they were crying but they never needed it again. Wondering if yours are just having a little trouble or if they are ready but maybe you aren’t because you are worried about them. I totally get that ;)

Check out the old threads. Me personally, during weaning time, I fed them formula between 8-9AM, last feed late (I work until late). Chop right after their morning formula. Free pellets and some millets, fresh water.

Good luck and more pics of rooster and goose please :)

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Hi! Will get pics tomorrow and post them. Fed them at 8 yesterday and 9 at night because we were out but fed them today at 8 and will feed again at 8, they’re doing great!

They’re about 6.5 weeks old now.

thanks for the response!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
8 - 8 seems ok. I did find that when doing just two feeds Igot a better response feeding a little later in the morning, for eg 10am 8 pm. But each bird is different. By now they will know what food is and it is available so they won´t starve, they will find food if hungry.

I also noticed that once I get to two feeds, they wean very soon after.

Post if you need any more help :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am will Zara, maybe a little later in the morning and then right before bed or an hour or two before. See how it goes. I find babies are really interested in weaning foods right after handfeeding so I like to give them a little time at night. Also you could give them some favored soft foods or something they eat readily in the middle of the day to replace the mid day feeding.

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Thanks a lot. They’re doing good with 2 feeds, and will take them down to one morning feed in about a week, or when they’re ready.