• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 crazy birds need a hobby

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I’ve gone through a lot of toys with my birds as well as a few things around the room, but they keep going back to the same places again and again. I’m out of ideas at this point; does anyone know of anything fun and hopefully healthy I can image.jpg provide for them?

Yuki Shiro

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stefan
Well, you might try things that look a bit like their old toys maybe?
You also can try out to build simple toys with threads, paper rolls, papers...
hide their food (first fairly obvious, later make it harder).

You also might try clicker training and put toys on cue.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They do seem very interested in the curtains. I can understand why you want to encourage them elsewhere.

Have you ever tried pan foraging? In their free fly area you can place a large cookie pan on the ground. Add hemp or birch chips and sprinkle their standard seed diet into the woody chips, they can walk around and search for seeds. You can even do this directly on the floor or a towel is it is easier, but a pan help contain it better.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
You can also try distracting them with a better place to be instead of the curtains. You could maybe put up a wood or PVC perch up high with toys so they want to go there instead.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I would put up some foil there to break their habbit of going up there. You could also put up a playstand, or a net for them to play on with lots of foraging toys.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Maybe an altered cardboard mailer tube hung vertically with an open section so it mimics the curtains? They can destroy that without altering your decor :rolleyes:

I do love me some fuzzy bird butt :lol:

chigen123

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys for the ideas! I’ll try them out as soon as I can (allergy season might keep me from doing it) and I’ll see how it works!
Enjoy your summer!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a question... what is wrong with them playing on the curtains? Mine love climbing around on there and flying away and coming back. Must be fun for them :shrug:

Yuki Shiro

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stefan
I have the same question; but from my perspective I don't care if they break.
So maybe the fear (/reality) that they are destroyed and full of poo?

Cosmo305

Strolling the yard
Maybe this would work! Mine was a solution for Cosmo when his flight feathers grew im after being clipped and he had a couple crashes into the window. BUT he climbs and plays on them all the time and it doesn’t block my view!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wish I could leave Burt playing in the curtains because he loves them and so has every little bird I have owned in the past, but Burt is not little and his gentle is just not gentle enough for most material he has put a few decent holes in my mums expensive curtains... just hoping she does not notice :wideyed:

chigen123

Strolling the yard
I have a question... what is wrong with them playing on the curtains? Mine love climbing around on there and flying away and coming back. Must be fun for them :shrug:
I think I forgot to specify, sorry about that! My budgies are in a hormonal state right now, and Dave, the male, will frequently try to court Felipe, the female, on top of the curtains. Felipe responds to this by lunging at Dave, at which point a chase ensues between them for around 1-5 minutes. Also, Felipe likes to wedge herself in between the bunched-up curtains and climb down the makeshift tunnel. I’m afraid she may get hurt as there is no spot to land directly below the curtains if she were to fall. That’s about all, but thanks for asking!

StellaLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
Maybe this would work! Mine was a solution for Cosmo when his flight feathers grew im after being clipped and he had a couple crashes into the window. BUT he climbs and plays on them all the time and it doesn’t block my view!
I love these! And after looking at your pictures, I think they would also make a good bird-strike deterrent for the wild birds outside my big window.