• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2.8 week old baby with no feathers

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
I have a 2.8 week old baby bird that I have been hand feeding from day 1, because the parents abandoned it, and this little guy also has a deformed foot. I’m wondering why it hasn’t gotten any feather shoots, or feathers yet. I have been hand feeding it with kaytee exact, and roudy bush formula. I’ve also been adding vitamins to its food. Any idea as to why it’s still so small, and has no feathers?

Attachments

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
It’s still very healthy and super active, so other than that it’s fine, just wondering why no feathers and stunted growth \(^_^)/

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why is there a peg on one leg?

Why are you feeding two formulas? You should choose one and use only one.

Vitamins are not needed with a good quality chick formula unless instructed by a veterinarian.

Your chick is stunted. Large skull, bulging eyes and nares, small wings, the small foot. All clear signs. You must be very meticulous with how you care for them.
They look a little red too which can be a sign of dehydration, not uncommon in stunted chicks.

Given the critical state of this bird, I strongly advise you consult with your vet. They may want to monitor the growth. Please don't dismiss it because being in contact with your vet with regular checkups, they may spot something or be able to help or even save your chicks life.

Jacalego

Moving in
Real Name
Jacob
Why is there a peg on one leg?

Why are you feeding two formulas? You should choose one and use only one.

Vitamins are not needed with a good quality chick formula unless instructed by a veterinarian.

Your chick is stunted. Large skull, bulging eyes and nares, small wings, the small foot. All clear signs. You must be very meticulous with how you care for them.
They look a little red too which can be a sign of dehydration, not uncommon in stunted chicks.

Given the critical state of this bird, I strongly advise you consult with your vet. They may want to monitor the growth. Please don't dismiss it because being in contact with your vet with regular checkups, they may spot something or be able to help or even save your chicks life.
Yes, thank you I did consult a vet and they told me to use roudy bush instead of kaytee, so I’m feeding both because they told me to slowly introduce the other formula, they also gave me some vitamins because they saw that the chick was mildly dehydrated, and stunted, as you said. He’s doing good so far, and super active! Thanks for the feedback, and I had a peg on one leg because the legs began to splay, I just removed it, and the baby is now doing better. I’m taking all of your advice, and thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I did consult a vet and they told me to use roudy bush instead of kaytee, so I’m feeding both because they told me to slowly introduce the other formula
Ah ok, I see. Yes, always good to slowly transition from one to another, just like any food.

they also gave me some vitamins because they saw that the chick was mildly dehydrated
That´s good. Natural unsweetened coconut water is also good for hydration if you notice the chick getting red.

I was meaning to write before, that it´s important you have a source of humidity in the brooder, not just heat. Because if you only supply heat, you leave the air dry and it can lead to dehydration. Humidity between 60-65ish range is nice. If you don´t know what it currently is, you will need a hygrometer to measure.

It´s great you are in contact with your vet, keep them up to date and in regular contact. Things can go bad very quickly with such chicks.
Did you show them a photo of your brooder set up?

I don´t understand about the peg, but ok. If you are worried about spraddle leg/splayed legs, be sure you´re doing all you can to minimise the risks, by having adequate bedding, aoid placing the bird on smooth surfaces - you can use a teatowel if you usually place them on a worktop to feed them so their feet can grip, be sure to tuck the legs under as you place him down.

Check that you are preparing the formula correctly every single time, using the correct powder to water ratio, and at 105F.