• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2.5 months old eclectus need a help

Amer

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amer
Hello everyone
I have bought eclectus 2.5 months old few days ago
She seems not hand fed before she was mom rising
My issues that she doesn't like to eat from my hand by spoon or syringe
The breeder use a small tube on the syringe to feed her should I keep use it ?
When I put her in her nest where she sleep , she start bites me if I try to take her out
Can any one help me with her behavior and what should I do with feeding issue?

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hello everyone
I have bought eclectus 2.5 months old few days ago
She seems not hand fed before she was mom rising
My issues that she doesn't like to eat from my hand by spoon or syringe
The breeder use a small tube on the syringe to feed her should I keep use it ?
When I put her in her nest where she sleep , she start bites me if I try to take her out
Can any one help me with her behavior and what should I do with feeding issue?
It's a good idea to cross post, or maybe @Administrative can move it to the the nursery section. I can't be much help other than to say I don't think the biting behavior is actually biting at this age, but rather looking for food.
It can be very tricky to hand feed even with experience, please don't try to tube feed or even syringe feed without instruction in person. The spoon method is probably safest, and the formula temperature is very important. Both topics are better handled by other members, I'm sure you will see some answers soon.

At this stage I suspect the behavior you're experiencing is the feeding movements and testing things with her beak. She might be old enough and worried enough to try some defensive posturing. I'm not sure she's going to have much force behind it if they're indeed biting attempts. Definitely move slowly and in the same routine each time so she can begin to get used to you and her new situation.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not think feeding using a crop needle is a good idea for any bird who has the ability to eat without it.

How is the baby doing? Has feeding it got any easier for you?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Amer
Can you give her soft foods? Millet cereal, any grain cereals mixed with hot water and allowed to cook before serving. Replace after 2 hours so bacteria cannot proliferate.

She is beaking the peanut and sunflower seeds but that’s not going to be an acceptable diet for her as an eclectus. I wouldn’t offer the seed sticks either- I would continue trying to spoon or syringe as well as offering up mash. You could even try baby formula not as watered down, just enough to make a dough and form small dough balls for her to beak and smush.

Amer

Real Name
Amer
I just put it today for her to see her reaction, she kinda wasn't eating it just playing with or tasting, I put for her boiled vegetables and cooled off and fruits, ( sweet potatoes, carrots, Broccoli, apples, papaya, and some another fruit from this link ( fruitandveg ) and she loves the sweet potatoes I can see that , thank you

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would honestly still keep trying formula and soft cereal grains. Most ekkies are 12-16 weeks before they even begin weaning and 9 weeks is just far too young.
You don’t want to keep feeding her such high sugar- it really isn’t good for this breed. Sweet potato is very high in sugar, and carrots count as a sugar too. So in that mix, the only vegetable is broccoli. I’ve had to take in baby ekkies with crop bacterial overgrowth due to high sugar feeding and not only is it a high fatality percentage but it’s also painful for the bird to go through.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are any puréed jarred baby foods available in your country? Go for the green ones if they are. That would be so much better than all of the fruit you’re feeding right now. Can you purée some scrambled egg for her? This little one needs protein daily too, and if you won’t feed her cereals or formula you have to provide it somehow.

Amer

Real Name
Amer
I'm still giving her her formula as usual, I didn't stop it , I just put vegetables and fruits for her daily, she doesn't eat that much from it