• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2.5 month old GCC already hormonal?

imchives

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, so I was spending time with Mac this morning and he started head bobbing like birds tend to do before regurgitating. He didn’t actually spit up anything as far as I could tell, and stopped after a bit and requested head scratches.

I know that regurgitation can be a sign of affection in general, but I also know that it can be a sexual behavior. Mac is only about 2 and a half months old, so I wasn’t exactly expecting sexual behavior from him this early. Could it even be considered sexual behavior with him being this young? Is it something I need to discourage already?

As far as possible triggers for hormones go, I can only think of one thing that might do it. I sometimes cup my hand over his back and wings because he’ll let go of my shirt when he gets super into cuddles, and I don’t want him to fall. He seems to enjoy rolling off into my hand, and will sometimes just lay in my palm and gently preen my fingertips. As for actual petting, I only ever pet his head and chin.

I should also add that he spends about equal time with me and my hubby, but prefers getting cuddles and scratches from me. He hasn’t shown any aggression towards anyone, even strangers, and desperately wants to be with both of us at all times, so he definitely isn’t a one person bird just yet.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@webchirp ? Zazu DNA female regurgitated for me once when she was about 6 months old I believe but never did it again. Tobias DNA male has done it about 3 times but I've had him since he was 5 months so not quite as young as your boy/not the same species but another young Pyrrhura conure.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Also, just keep an eye on it but that can be a sign of a yeast infection too.

imchives

Meeting neighbors
Also, just keep an eye on it but that can be a sign of a yeast infection too.
I’ll bring that up with the vet when he goes for his first visit, never hurts to check! This is the first time he’s done it and he still has a really good appetite and activity level, but I know birds can hide early signs of illness really well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Also sounds to me like a baby practising how to be a big bird.

reetybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Casper
Hi everyone, so I was spending time with Mac this morning and he started head bobbing like birds tend to do before regurgitating. He didn’t actually spit up anything as far as I could tell, and stopped after a bit and requested head scratches.

I know that regurgitation can be a sign of affection in general, but I also know that it can be a sexual behavior. Mac is only about 2 and a half months old, so I wasn’t exactly expecting sexual behavior from him this early. Could it even be considered sexual behavior with him being this young? Is it something I need to discourage already?

As far as possible triggers for hormones go, I can only think of one thing that might do it. I sometimes cup my hand over his back and wings because he’ll let go of my shirt when he gets super into cuddles, and I don’t want him to fall. He seems to enjoy rolling off into my hand, and will sometimes just lay in my palm and gently preen my fingertips. As for actual petting, I only ever pet his head and chin.

I should also add that he spends about equal time with me and my hubby, but prefers getting cuddles and scratches from me. He hasn’t shown any aggression towards anyone, even strangers, and desperately wants to be with both of us at all times, so he definitely isn’t a one person bird just yet.
My bird did the same thing when he was young. It isn’t anything to be remotely worried about! They are just practicing adult behaviors

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
In a 2.5 month old GCC it's a baby begging behaviour, not a sexual behaviour. It's how they ask the adult birds for food. My 4 month old GCC still does it, especially if there have been recent changes in his environment. It is a comfort-seeking behaviour. I respond by giving a few pellets out of my hand and that satisfies his need.

imchives

Meeting neighbors
In a 2.5 month old GCC it's a baby begging behaviour, not a sexual behaviour. It's how they ask the adult birds for food. My 4 month old GCC still does it, especially if there have been recent changes in his environment. It is a comfort-seeking behaviour. I respond by giving a few pellets out of my hand and that satisfies his need.
Thanks for the info! I’ve never had a bird this young before, when I got my ‘tiel he was about 5-6 months old, and that’s also been years ago XD