• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 1/2 ringneck and im lost!!

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
I just got an african ringneck two days ago, he’s 2 months and a half old and is still on the formula...

the previous owner fed him 4 times a day and i have cut it to 2-3 times a day, should i feed him once a day? And start introducing other kinds of mashed food and gradually go up to solid ones?

and is there any useful link that would guide me in teaching him and training him? As he doesn’t even know how to step up:(

he likes to cuddle and be held and is fine with a towel but nothing other than that

and thank youu!!

p.s. his name is kiko:)

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Aww, Kiko is such a cute name! Sorry, I don't have any African Ringneck experience. Hopefully someone will come soon who does though! Best of luck to you and your new baby!

p.s. Do you have any pics of him?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the previous owner fed him 4 times a day and i have cut it to 2-3 times a day, should i feed him once a day?
No.
You got the chick two days ago on 4 feeds. So right now you should be feeding no less than 3 times per day. Frankly, I wouldn´t have dropped the fourth feed - it is normal that chicks eat less on the first and sometimes second day of a new home and new ¨feeder¨.

Weight the chick first thing in the morning before food, then divide that weight by 10. For eg, chick weighs 90g, then you feed 9CC per feed that day. Chick weighs 70g then feed 7CC. Chick weighs 85g then you feed 8.5CC per feed that day. etc
Weigh daily as the bird should gain weight daily.

Did the seller not give you any instructions?

and is there any useful link that would guide me in teaching him and training him? As he doesn’t even know how to step up:(
I wouldn´t focus on any sort of training. Just concentrate on spending time with the bird, feeding them well and building a relationship. Talk to him, spend time near his setup.

I don´t have any experience with ringnecks, so anything more specific to the species, I can´t help with. Development, average weights etc.
@Monica

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:agreed: With Zara.

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
No.
You got the chick two days ago on 4 feeds. So right now you should be feeding no less than 3 times per day. Frankly, I wouldn´t have dropped the fourth feed - it is normal that chicks eat less on the first and sometimes second day of a new home and new ¨feeder¨.

Weight the chick first thing in the morning before food, then divide that weight by 10. For eg, chick weighs 90g, then you feed 9CC per feed that day. Chick weighs 70g then feed 7CC. Chick weighs 85g then you feed 8.5CC per feed that day. etc
Weigh daily as the bird should gain weight daily.

Did the seller not give you any instructions?

I wouldn´t focus on any sort of training. Just concentrate on spending time with the bird, feeding them well and building a relationship. Talk to him, spend time near his setup.

I don´t have any experience with ringnecks, so anything more specific to the species, I can´t help with. Development, average weights etc.
@Monica
yeah when i fed him four times he would eat a bit and then refuse so i cut it to three and he’s been eating well. And thankk you for explaining the weight thing.

unfortunately, his previous owner knew absolutely nothing about him and just wanted to sell him and get money:(

Again thank you so much!! <33

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ringnecks tend to wean around 10-13 weeks in age... so one feeding should, theoretically speaking, be fine.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh the chick?

Is the chick active and alert? Playful? Or more lethargic?

Will say that style of perch is not healthy for their feet.

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
Ringnecks tend to wean around 10-13 weeks in age... so one feeding should, theoretically speaking, be fine.

Do you have a gram scale to weigh the chick?

Is the chick active and alert? Playful? Or more lethargic?

Will say that style of perch is not healthy for their feet.
I will be getting a scale tomorrow since shops r closed for eid

He is active and likes to explore

and yeah i am planning to buy new perches but again since shops r closed for eid I’ll have to wait a bit, but he doesn’t sit a lot inside the cage as we want him to explore and play outside:)

And should I get perches like this one for his cage? (Excuse chip’s head) 708D9DC0-5D0B-428F-9E42-FF51BC91C191.jpeg
and thank youu

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Natural wooden perches are best for their feed! I hope you are able to find everything you need when the shops open!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Plz send us photos of your flock... Chip is cute. I love kiko, actually I am a big fan of ringnecks.