• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1st time parrot owner

Ivymary

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ivy
Hi everyone, thanks for letting myself be part of hour group.
So I bought my 5 month old ringneck 2 days ago,on the 1st day I didn't want to stress it (Timmy) so talking from a short distance. Now when I approach his cage he is very nervous and as soon as I open cage he flys around and wont come near me even when I offer threats. Can you please give me some advise on how to get around this

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Give him time. Talk to him in the softest voice. No sudden movements. We have had Beau for 16 days, our 4th GCC. We open his cage door while assuring him we love him, then step away. He will come out and sit on his cage. We are letting him get use to us. Go at your bird's pace. Build trust with him. And as a last resort, sing soft songs to him. It works with all my birbs. Good luck, and be prepared, he will steal your heart and never give it back!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

:needpics:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the Avenue!

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Awww, welcome to the Avian Avenue, @Ivymary and Timmy! It takes a long time to build a lasting and healthy relationship. I think the most helpful thing you can do now is really to go at your bird's pace, as @Annie's Mommie pointed out. It's a big change for a birdie to go into a new environment with new humans. Just give Timmy a lot of reassurance that all is well (no sudden noises or movements, and a soft, loving tone of voice). Is he fully flighted? If so, and if he can't handle out of cage time yet, it might be best to keep him in the cage for a couple of days (since his surroundings are new to him, you don't want him getting hurt while flying). As stressful as it can be for you and for Timmy, try to enjoy this truly magical time! This bonding is like no other. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcome2:Welcome Ivy and Timmy!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue, Ivy and Timmy!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Timmy! :)

Love those ringnecks...they are great birds. Good advice already given...remember that the species is intelligent and tend to be independent in nature...that doesn't mean that they're not great companions... it means you have to have even more patient with them. ;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

winnieirn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennette
:grpwelcome:
Congrats on your irn! I have one of my own, their absolutely great.
My Winnie was the same age as Timmy when I got him and the first day I let him walk around the house and figure out the space for himself. He was a little baby and he wasn’t really flying that much. I left out his pellets and some seeds, an apple and water and he was scared of my mom and I but he walked around and looked at everything.
That evening I put him on me and he walked around on me and my bed, ate some pellets and he started to fall asleep. I carefully gently touched him with my finger and he let me scratch his head!
Within the next days the only way I was allowed to touch him was when he was sleepy and for a couple of minutes. (Now he hates being touched, unless he’s veeeery sleepy he lets me cup him and scratch his cute lil head)
I would never force anything he didn’t want.
I would take him out his cage and give him toys and treats for simply being in my presence. My mom would always talk to him (now he only talks back to my mom and does it in 2 languages :laughing2: )
It takes time for the bird to get used to his new environment and then it takes more time for him to get used to you.
So don’t worry, take things step by step and your new baby will warm up to you in no time.
Winnie is now 3 years old and without serious training he’s a sweetie, especially birds at such young ages really get used to their owners.
Good luck with Timmy! I’m sure he’ll be great!

coralb

Moving in
Hi everyone, thanks for letting myself be part of hour group.
So I bought my 5 month old ringneck 2 days ago,on the 1st day I didn't want to stress it (Timmy) so talking from a short distance. Now when I approach his cage he is very nervous and as soon as I open cage he flys around and wont come near me even when I offer threats. Can you please give me some advise on how to get around this
Hi there, just time and patience and he will be interacting with you in no time. I rescued an Alexandrine that was left in the wild to fend for herself. I used to stand at her cage and speak to her softly and at bed time I would play her a song and sing it to her. I think it took about 2 weeks and she was completely tame :) Good luck and let us know how it goes