• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1st time bird owner....

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hi all! I'm a long time cat lady but have always wanted a bird, so September 22 I adopted my little Aiofe. She's 5 months old, blue mask lovebird. I was told at the parrot shop that she and her siblings hadn't been socialized enough so I could expect to be patient. And I am patient and she's making great progress. She is taking treats from my hand now. I am following a very slow process to hand tame her, and it seems to be working. My question is more twofold.

1. She doesn't really seem to know how to play, I'm trying to teach her, but there's only so much biting and playing with her toys I can handle! I'm a crazy spoiler so she has pretty much any texture available and I will offer something to her and its almost like she doesn't realize she's allowed to tear it up! She does like sea grass so I'm working with that and teaching her to forage. Is this a common part of socializing?

2. She flock calls. She sleeps well, in her own bedroom with her cage covered. But when she hears birds outside, flock call. This I understand. But she does it other random times of the day. She makes other noises that are obviously not flock calls. She was with her siblings at a patriot shop that was really loud and full of big, yelling parrots. Is this something that should settle as she gets more comfortable?

She's really sweet and has been making content sounds but as a first timer I can't help but be concerned about the flock calling.

Thanks,
Leih and Aoife

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Congrats on your new baby.....I have a pair of lovebirds, yes they are very sweet little birds but 5 months old he testing her new world. Some many new things to get used to, you, her environment, cage, being the only bird-everything . Diet plays a huge part in your birds attitude. I am a no seed person-lots of veggies, a little fruit and pellets. Do watch what she picks out when eating-usually that will end up being her favorite so that could be a tool food for training purposes.If you over feed she doesn't need anything from you-you can use food for training during the morning hrs when she is the hungriest . If you haven't read up on the diet for Lovebirds-not bashing pet shops but we also have to educate ourselves. Is she in a room where she is able to see you and all the activity , or a room by herself. Birds are flock animals and they want to be where they see whats going on. You haven't had her long enough for her to settle in...give it time. Have fun

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congrats on your new baby.....I have a pair of lovebirds, yes they are very sweet little birds but 5 months old he testing her new world. Some many new things to get used to, you, her environment, cage, being the only bird-everything . Diet plays a huge part in your birds attitude. I am a no seed person-lots of veggies, a little fruit and pellets. Do watch what she picks out when eating-usually that will end up being her favorite so that could be a tool food for training purposes.If you over feed she doesn't need anything from you-you can use food for training during the morning hrs when she is the hungriest . If you haven't read up on the diet for Lovebirds-not bashing pet shops but we also have to educate ourselves. Is she in a room where she is able to see you and all the activity , or a room by herself. Birds are flock animals and they want to be where they see whats going on. You haven't had her long enough for her to settle in...give it time. Have fun
For the first several days she was in a room by herself and I would go in and hang out with her quite a while, but in the past few days I bring her out in her cage to be part of the action. It's just I have to keep her separate unless I'm home because of my cats. I'm feeding her Roudybush maintenance and dried veggies, some Nutriberries here and there, and gave her some plain small bird sized popcorn yesterday. I'm definitely planning to get her eating fresh once she's more settled. Yeah I figured she's not at all adjusted yet, I'm just a worrier. She has started the pre bedtime break grinding so I guess she's at least sort of happy! Thanks for your encouragement!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's young and settling in. So she may not be comfortable enough to play yet. Or really know how. Just coming showing her. And some birds aren't just big players. As for the calling, is she flock calling to you? Are you in the room when she does this? And birds do make noise just to make noise too. :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
She does it both when I'm in the room and not. Mostly when she hears other birds, but sometimes just out of nowhere. I guess I'm just getting used to her, as well. I would never want one of my animals to be unhappy, so I'm just making sure I'm on the right track with her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting Aiofe. Post some photos of her when you get a chance.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Welcome welcome Alicia to you and Aiofe.........I'm guessing she has not had a lot of experience with toys AND she is still settling in and getting used to everything. My boys (two Fischer's Lovebirds) took a long time to show any interest in toys after I brought them home. Even now, and it might be a Lovebird thing, but when I give them a new toy, they pretty much avoid it for a few days. They eye it, climb around it and observe it from all angles, and then eventually they will explore it and if it can be ripped and torn they are all over it, LOL. It sounds like you are doing just fine and Aiofe (can you tell us how to pronounce that?) is getting settle in and is showing some interest in you and toys. Thanks for sharing with us!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's "E-fa," which is a Gaelic name. I originally wanted two but was told to go with one first so I'm not excluded from their love fest! Here's one of her trying to figure out what to do with the paper haha.

Attachments

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
For the first several days she was in a room by herself and I would go in and hang out with her quite a while, but in the past few days I bring her out in her cage to be part of the action. It's just I have to keep her separate unless I'm home because of my cats. I'm feeding her Roudybush maintenance and dried veggies, some Nutriberries here and there, and gave her some plain small bird sized popcorn yesterday. I'm definitely planning to get her eating fresh once she's more settled. Yeah I figured she's not at all adjusted yet, I'm just a worrier. She has started the pre bedtime break grinding so I guess she's at least sort of happy! Thanks for your encouragement!
Birds aren't fond of silence do you have a radio or tv you turn on in that room? Love that beak grinding no better reward that you are doing something right lol

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I do! I have a YouTube playlist with a mix of calm music, birds in a forest, some documentaries, and even some Dr Suess being read. When I'm at work I turn it on for her. The beak grinding scared me at first then I read that it's normal and positive!