• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent #1male bird having difficulting breathing after. Feeding chicks.

Rozann

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rozann
Hi thank you for welcoming me. I have a hand reared breading pair of cocatiels. They have 3 chicks of their own. The babys is now about 5 weeks old. The problem is about an hour ago he fed one of the chicks and have signs of largengy now. He breathes very laboured. I have given him meds in his water but he did not drink as yet. Is he going to be ok? I immediately put him in a seperate cage and covered it so he can rest. The meds name is MEDPED medivvital plus for the prevention and treatment of bacterial infection.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t understand who is lethargic, the chick or the parent?

Who told you to give the meds? A vet? If so, call them and tell them what is going on.

If the parent is sick, they should be pulled to another cage away from the chicks and the other parent.

If a chick is sickm pull that one chick into a brooder for hand-feeding and medicating away from the others so you can monitor.

Get a vet appointment as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep the sick bird separate, and as calm as possible. Dim the light a little too.

edit; I am worrying if the parent was sick and you put meds in the water and they fed the baby and passed the meds on to them and made the baby sick. If this is the case, it really is an emergency and you need the vet asap.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is what MEDPed consists of"
AVIVET (Medpet)

Amoxycillin 40 g, Vit A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, E, K3, Niacin 20 mg.

With difficulty breathing it could be one of many things, an upper respiratory bacterial infection, a fungal infection lungs or sinuses, a tumor pressing on the lungs and many others. A vet is needed to diagnose and properly medicate/treat. You should never give vitamin supplements without the advice of a vet - some vitamins can be overdosed and dangerous to the bird.

Take your bird to a vet now, as you should have done to begin with. We are not vetsaand cannot diagnose your bird's illness,

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Inform the vet about the chicks as well. If the father has a contagious infection it's likely the chicks do too.