• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

15 week old Border Cock wheezing and gasping for air. Help!

SteveEdin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stephen
Hi I'm locking for advice. I have a 15 week old canary.I got him from a pet shop when he was 12 weeks old. He came down with a respiratory infection of some sort or he might of had it when I bought him but I cannot be sure. He was clicking at night and wheezing, lots of beak wiping. There has been times when he's stopped moving, with his shoulders slightly out with his beak open gasping for air. He might be minute or more catching his breath. It's very worrying because I feel I can't help him.he's eating well and active.
I took him to the vet and when I told him that I thought he might have air sac mites. He told me air sac mites are very rare and gave me antibiotics ENTR something. I have to give it in his water for 5 days. That was almost two weeks ago this coming Tuesday. Last Thursday I gave him a drop of Scatt. I thought he was getting better but today he was gasping for air after flying about his cage. There are times when I can hear him wheeze during the day more so at night. He also sneezes and when he trying to sing it is not very loud. He sounds like someone with a blocked nose. I keep him in a living room. I hAve him next to the radiator and keep the room at 20 C
I'm bit of a loss as what to do next. Does he need another antibiotic, more Scatt .or something else.
I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Steve

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Whas the vet a Avian vet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best thing to do, IMO, is get him back to the vet and, hopefully, a good avian vet.

SteveEdin

Real Name
Stephen
I have to take the vet I'm given. I go to a vet surgery for people on a low income. I assume they gave me a vet that had some knowledge of birds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would get a second opinion my dear, has he been checked for aspergillous? Can you take him into a steamy bathroom, sometimes it helps, :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you give us an idea of where you live? Not exact location, but city, maybe area? That will help us figure out if there is someone in your area who might be able to help you :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: .

SteveEdin

Real Name
Stephen
Hi, I stay in Edinburgh, United kingdom.