• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

14 weeks ago...still devastated..tragic passing..

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine how difficult this has been and continues to be for you. :sad2:

Thank you for giving a birdy in need a home. How is the little Senegal settling in?
Tink, my little Senegal is very happy. He is a little character. He doesn't talk, which is fine, but he has funny little ways and he likes to dance to, 'Don't worry, be happy.' Bittersweet moments when some of his actions and expressions remind me of Mr Jingles but I am very glad that I rescued him from his lonely life. He has many toys yet like many parrots he is content to potter about on top of his cage, sit and watch me or sit on my shoulder. He did laugh a couple of days ago. He is a content little bird xx

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I posted in the other thread that our GCC Zym suffered a similar accident with a dog (and I had the same concerns, that he suffered or was afraid, but we were actually there when it happened, and it was so so fast, like, unbelievably fast. There's no way your Mr. Jingles suffered for more than a moment), and like you we decided to rescue a new bird. We took comfort in the idea that Zym would "approve" of us giving a loving home to a bird in need. The bird we adopted, whose name is Sunny, is in my profile picture. Although we still miss Zym every day, Sunny has brought some happiness back into our lives, and I don't think Zym would have wanted us to be sad.

I am sure Mr. Jingles would feel similarly. He doesn't want you to beat yourself up. He'd be very happy to know you are going to help out a bird in need, in his memory.

I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope rescuing the Senegal gives you a bit of comfort. I'm sure you'll provide a loving home for that poor bird.
Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss.Your reply gives me relief. It is that thought that he suffered and had a prolonged, painful death which plays on my mind everyday. I'm sorry to sound insensitive but I have spent hours trying to find out if crush or bite injuries do in fact kills birds instantly. I feel if I could find that out then I wouldn't be 'stuck' in my present thoughts and I could start to move on to happy memories. Thank you again. I am so pleased for you that Sunny is helping you x

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss.Your reply gives me relief. It is that thought that he suffered and had a prolonged, painful death which plays on my mind everyday. I'm sorry to sound insensitive but I have spent hours trying to find out if crush or bite injuries do in fact kills birds instantly. I feel if I could find that out then I wouldn't be 'stuck' in my present thoughts and I could start to move on to happy memories. Thank you again. I am so pleased for you that Sunny is helping you x

I will give my opinion on the matter and I will try my hardest to not bring anymore pain to you.

If I am correct, I believe the dog that you had rescued had been on her on for awhile. That means she had to learn to catch and kill her own food. That also makes her a pro in that category, meaning that she killed quickly. Your bird would have received one blow- the death blow- and he would never have known what hit him. If he had fought back in any way, the fight would have gone on much longer and there would have been feathers everywhere. I sincerely believe he was never aware of what was happening.

Your little guy would never want you to ever turn you back on an animal in need and would be very proud of you for taking in a bird, who has also done his share of suffering.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I will give my opinion on the matter and I will try my hardest to not bring anymore pain to you.

If I am correct, I believe the dog that you had rescued had been on her on for awhile. That means she had to learn to catch and kill her own food. That also makes her a pro in that category, meaning that she killed quickly. Your bird would have received one blow- the death blow- and he would never have known what hit him. If he had fought back in any way, the fight would have gone on much longer and there would have been feathers everywhere. I sincerely believe he was never aware of what was happening.

Your little guy would never want you to ever turn you back on an animal in need and would be very proud of you for taking in a bird, who has also done his share of suffering.
Thank you very much for replying. The dog was a rescue, picked up in Ireland, thin and pregnant....maybe an ex coursing dog. He didn't take any notice of Jingles when we were there..none. My partner came home to find a 3 foot circle of feathers and a little blood...nothing else. That is why I had horrible visions of what had maybe happened. It does haunt me ...I can't bear the thought. Thank you for replying..sorry to be so graphic.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Thank you very much for replying. The dog was a rescue, picked up in Ireland, thin and pregnant....maybe an ex coursing dog. He didn't take any notice of Jingles when we were there..none. My partner came home to find a 3 foot circle of feathers and a little blood...nothing else. That is why I had horrible visions of what had maybe happened. It does haunt me ...I can't bear the thought. Thank you for replying..sorry to be so graphic.

Had Jingles fought back, or tried to escape, it would have looked like a pillow fight throughout your whole place. Your descriptions tell me that it was very sudden, and ended very quickly.

All I can say, is that it will get better, my friend.

Years ago a kitty of mine drowned in our neighbor's pool. This was a neighbor who had taken in four young boys who weren't very nice. They would get mad at my parents for the littlest things- like my mother politely asking them to move their car when she wanted to get out of her driveway. She found her car keyed the next morning. Then they locked her cat in the shed behind our house. We looked for him for two days. I just happened to go into our back yard and heard his faint mew coming from inside the shed. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had decided not to go out that day.

To make a long story short, I too suffered from images of Thai being held down by a pole while he slowly drowned. The pain and anger stayed with me for a long time but it has dissipated over the years to the point where it doesn't hurt as much. I also convinced myself to honor Thai's life, not his death.

This will happen to you as well. You will always love Jingles and you will always mourn his loss, but the pain will lessen. I promise.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I posted in the other thread that our GCC Zym suffered a similar accident with a dog (and I had the same concerns, that he suffered or was afraid, but we were actually there when it happened, and it was so so fast, like, unbelievably fast. There's no way your Mr. Jingles suffered for more than a moment), and like you we decided to rescue a new bird. We took comfort in the idea that Zym would "approve" of us giving a loving home to a bird in need. The bird we adopted, whose name is Sunny, is in my profile picture. Although we still miss Zym every day, Sunny has brought some happiness back into our lives, and I don't think Zym would have wanted us to be sad.

I am sure Mr. Jingles would feel similarly. He doesn't want you to beat yourself up. He'd be very happy to know you are going to help out a bird in need, in his memory.

I'm sorry you're hurting. I hope rescuing the Senegal gives you a bit of comfort. I'm sure you'll provide a loving home for that poor bird.
Thank you so much for your reply...I'm so sorry for your loss too. I just hope Jingles died from shock/fright and that it was only seconds. I'm not sure how quickly birds pass from internal injuries...that was my worry really, that he suffered for minutes. There were a few feathers in a three foot diameter and a little blood (sorry for being so graphic) x

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Had Jingles fought back, or tried to escape, it would have looked like a pillow fight throughout your whole place. Your descriptions tell me that it was very sudden, and ended very quickly.

All I can say, is that it will get better, my friend.

Years ago a kitty of mine drowned in our neighbor's pool. This was a neighbor who had taken in four young boys who weren't very nice. They would get mad at my parents for the littlest things- like my mother politely asking them to move their car when she wanted to get out of her driveway. She found her car keyed the next morning. Then they locked her cat in the shed behind our house. We looked for him for two days. I just happened to go into our back yard and heard his faint mew coming from inside the shed. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had decided not to go out that day.

To make a long story short, I too suffered from images of Thai being held down by a pole while he slowly drowned. The pain and anger stayed with me for a long time but it has dissipated over the years to the point where it doesn't hurt as much. I also convinced myself to honor Thai's life, not his death.

This will happen to you as well. You will always love Jingles and you will always mourn his loss, but the pain will lessen. I promise.
Thank you so very much for your reply. It has helped x

clothdog

Moving in
Real Name
John Z.
Hi Chrissie,
How are you doing with your new parrot? I hope you are feeling better. It's been 2 months and I thought I was getting better, but now I find myself back at square one thinking of everything. I read the post on the pillow fight and that's exactly what it looked like at our house. Plus my wife told me she thought chickster fought back based on what found throughout the kitchen and living room. She couldn't get away. We can't get another bird. I just want this to stop.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Hi Chrissie,
How are you doing with your new parrot? I hope you are feeling better. It's been 2 months and I thought I was getting better, but now I find myself back at square one thinking of everything. I read the post on the pillow fight and that's exactly what it looked like at our house. Plus my wife told me she thought chickster fought back based on what found throughout the kitchen and living room. She couldn't get away. We can't get another bird. I just want this to stop.
Hello Clothdog.
My new little parrot,Tink, is getting on fine...he is very happy and now growing some orange feathers on his chest. I am glad that I got him and he does keep me occupied.
However, 4 months after losing Mr Jingles I can't say that I feel any better. After 2 months I went back to feeling how I did when it first happened....terrible. I actually had to get medication from my doctor. He said that the way that Jingles went had traumatised me. The medication has stopped me crying so much but I still have that neverending sadness deep down and when I wake in the morning it continues to hit me. I still miss him immensely and the thoughts of his end still haunt me.
I have put photos of him in an album but I still haven't managed to put a photo on the wall...hopefully I will in time. I wrote down every single thing about him, what he used to say, his funny little antics etc, and that helped.
I continue to Google, albeit not so often, on how long he may have suffered. It sounds morbid but it is what is stopping me moving on. I did find out that birds adrenaline rises so high in an unexpected, sudden shock that they can pass on almost immediately. Even though Chickster and Jingles died in this horrible way, I still hold on to the fact that it was likely that their hearts stopped quickly and anything after that they were oblivious to.
I am so sorry that you are going through this nightmare. I think of you both often. The fact that we had these special friends in our lives makes it so, so hard to get used to them not being here. I try my best to hold on to the thought that their end took seconds and that they had years and years of happiness with us. Hence why they are embedded in our hearts and live on in our memories. I am hoping that time will help us both. Feel free at any time to talk if you need to.