• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

14 week old amazon parrot, weird noises?

Esteban

Moving in
Hi,

Yesterday we finally got our amazon parrot, Kiki, home. So far I've only had experience with senegal parrots, so excuse me for the possible dumb question. We've been noticing that she is making some weird noises, almost sheep like :D. I've attached a video in which she makes the sounds.

Are these normal? Does anyone have an idea what this means? She does it quite often.

Video can be found here.

Thanks!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I saw the video but couldn't get sound....

Esteban

Moving in
This is the sound Amazon babies make to beg for food. Your Amazon might not be fully weaned yet. Mine didn't wean until 16 weeks.

Thank you so much. Should I manually feed her? She seems to be eating seeds well, or should i provide other more suited foods?

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I transitioned with warm soft food like sweet potato, sweet corn, boiled eggs, ...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She is a cutie. The only sound I hear is a small click/rumble? Is that what her noise is?
What did the breeder wean her on to? Is it pellets and seed? Is she used to any fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, etc?
What are you feeding her for a normal diet?

Most of us feed a variety of pellets (often as a main part), vegetables, pasta, fruits, grains and nuts.
Seed is usually given in small amounts, to not at all.

If she is begging (I can't really tell if she is), offering a small warm feed before her normal meals will help.
You can offer any soft food warmed up (sweet potato, applesauce, etc.) or even a bit of formula off a spoon.
Having the small feeding before her normal meal will comfort her and ease her.
A spoon or your fingers is fine at this age, you'd not even need a syringe.

Where are you located in the world?

Reactions: tka

Esteban

Moving in
She is a cutie. The only sound I hear is a small click/rumble? Is that what her noise is?
What did the breeder wean her on to? Is it pellets and seed? Is she used to any fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, etc?
What are you feeding her for a normal diet?

Most of us feed a variety of pellets (often as a main part), vegetables, pasta, fruits, grains and nuts.
Seed is usually given in small amounts, to not at all.

If she is begging (I can't really tell if she is), offering a small warm feed before her normal meals will help.
You can offer any soft food warmed up (sweet potato, applesauce, etc.) or even a bit of formula off a spoon.
Having the small feeding before her normal meal will comfort her and ease her.
A spoon or your fingers is fine at this age, you'd not even need a syringe.

Where are you located in the world?
The rumble is what i was talking about indeed. It's like she's asking for food.

I don't know exactly what the breeder gave her before but I do know that she was already eating a little bit of seeds when i picked her up 2 days ago. The breeder told me that she could eat by herself.

However, after bringing her home she was constantly whining for food. Today i gave her cooked egg and mashed potatoes. She really liked it. It did seem that she was eating alot, like she could just keep on eating. How much is too much? Because it seemed like she would have kept eating.

She's not too interested in the seeds to be honest. Should i try to give her pellets now already? How should i do this? I'm completely new to pellets.

We are located in Belgium.

Thanks for all the help!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Many babies regress a bit when they're brought home.
Offering some soft warm (healthy) food is a good thing. It brings them comfort and a feeling of safety.
Make sure it's sweet potato and not the white ones we normally mash for dinner.
Eggs are fine, no butter or salt.

Yes start offering her pellets during the day.
Chop up carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, gr beans, squash, turnips, sugar snap peas, a small amount of nuts, cooked pasta (veggie pasta), etc. Almost anything healthy can be incorporated into the diet. Less fruits as they're more sugar than many birds need.

See what she likes. I even offer what mine don't like, as one day they will try it.
Mine do not like broccoli! Mine love banana wheels. :)

There are many grains you can also offer, like quinoa, barley, etc...
Others know more about the grains than I do and may chime in in time.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
The rumble is what i was talking about indeed. It's like she's asking for food.

I don't know exactly what the breeder gave her before but I do know that she was already eating a little bit of seeds when i picked her up 2 days ago. The breeder told me that she could eat by herself.

However, after bringing her home she was constantly whining for food. Today i gave her cooked egg and mashed potatoes. She really liked it. It did seem that she was eating alot, like she could just keep on eating. How much is too much? Because it seemed like she would have kept eating.

She's not too interested in the seeds to be honest. Should i try to give her pellets now already? How should i do this? I'm completely new to pellets.

We are located in Belgium.

Thanks for all the help!
I am happy to hear she liked the soft food you gave her. This is your chance to teach her to healthy eating habits. Try mixing small amount of pellets with the soft food and increase the amount gradually over days as she tolerates. I started with Zupreem but now my amazon likes Roudybush more. Later you want to introduce some fresh veggies. Seeds are not heathy for parrots on the long run.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
What is in the bottom of your cage?

I use liners so I can see what's there. Some folks use newspapers.