• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

12 week old Female Eclectus squawking

Ashleighpa

Moving in
Real Name
Ashleigh
I have recently hand reared an Eclectus female that was abandoned by her parents, ive hand reared a few cocktails before and love birds so this isnt my first experience. I know she is being fed enough and is at a good weight, she is also approx 12 weeks old now.

My issue is she will not stop squawking even after she is fed, at the start i thought it was just a call for hunger. She continues to do it after each meal, and despite the amount of time she out of her cage. The squawks are about 3 seconds apart, and continues for hours. Any ideas or could this just be her very loud personality.

Reactions: Ali

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Ashleighpa

That is definitely not normal.
What formula are you using?
What are you considering to be a 'good weight'?
What method are you using for hand feeding (syringe, cup, spoon) and how many feedings a day/quantity?

Last edited:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Eclectus are not like feeding cockatiels, they have a unique anatomy and delayed crop emtying times. So they often need to be fed much smaller amounts, more often- otherwise it leads to a backup, which is extremely painful (like babies who have acid reflux) but not letting the crop fully empty leads to fungal infections, which can be uncomfortable.

Another option is if the formula was too hot. Im not sure why, but Ekkies seems to get irritated crops/burns when formula is too hot in comparison to other birds, It causes burning and pain for days when food enters the crop until the area heals. However Ekkies are ultimately more prone to sour crop, so it is a tough line to navigate.

Does your baby have any smell to their breath? anything that smells 'rotten sweet'?
What temperature is the formula?

Ashleighpa

Moving in
Real Name
Ashleigh
She eats until she is full, we have her on one feed a day as she pushes away the feed of a morning and night, should I be feeding her more?

The food is heated to 39 degrees. I make sure her crop empties. She is weaning onto veg and pellets currently and to be honest, id say she eats enough without the formula to sustain herself but i havnt stopped feeding her until she fully weans herself.

Ashleighpa

Moving in
Real Name
Ashleigh
She eats until she is full, we have her on one feed a day as she pushes away the feed of a morning and night, should I be feeding her more?

The food is heated to 39 degrees. I make sure her crop empties. She is weaning onto veg and pellets currently and to be honest, id say she eats enough without the formula to sustain herself but i havnt stopped feeding her until she f
@Ashleighpa

That is definitely not normal.
What formula are you using?
What are you considering to be a 'good weight'?
What method are you using for hand feeding (syringe, cup, spoon) and how many feedings a day/quantity?
ully weans herself.
Sorry new to this forum!
She eats until she is full, I have her on one feed a day as she pushes away the feed of a morning and night, should I be feeding her more?

The food is heated to 39 degrees. I make sure her crop empties. She is weaning onto veg and pellets currently and to be honest, id say she eats enough without the formula to sustain herself but i havnt stopped feeding her until she fully weans herself. Ive been using vetafarm - im used to syringe feeding but have gone to a spoon as she prefers it.

Ashleighpa

Moving in
Real Name
Ashleigh
Eclectus are not like feeding cockatiels, they have a unique anatomy and delayed crop emtying times. So they often need to be fed much smaller amounts, more often- otherwise it leads to a backup, which is extremely painful (like babies who have acid reflux) but not letting the crop fully empty leads to fungal infections, which can be uncomfortable.

Another option is if the formula was too hot. Im not sure why, but Ekkies seems to get irritated crops/burns when formula is too hot in comparison to other birds, It causes burning and pain for days when food enters the crop until the area heals. However Ekkies are ultimately more prone to sour crop, so it is a tough line to navigate.

Does your baby have any smell to their breath? anything that smells 'rotten sweet'?
What temperature is the formula?
She eats until she is full, we have her on one feed a day as she pushes away the feed of a morning and night, she doesnt have any bad breath - im fairly sure her crop is fine.

The food is heated to 39 degrees. I make sure her crop empties. She is weaning onto veg and pellets currently and to be honest, id say she eats enough without the formula to sustain herself but i havnt stopped feeding her until she fully weans herself.

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi! Just wondering how it’s going with your Eclectus? Has the squawking calmed down, and were you able to figure out the problem?