• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

12 week old cockatiel with various problems. Help?

mybirdandi

Moving in
Real Name
Alyssa Brown
I homed a 12 week old cockatiel a week ago. I scheduled a vet appointment to check Toby in for a health check.
Turns out he is a little special.
Firstly, he has a nasty pygostyle injury and reinjured himself today so it opened. He was given antibiotics 2 days ago which has to be done twice a day for 10 days and today received topical ointment which also has to be done twice a day (i will aim to do 3 for safety cause hes quite clumsy) for a month.
Not only that but he has contracted megabacteria. I have a fungal drop that I give twice a day for 10 days as well.
Both the disease and the wound are fighting for the nutrients of his food and he is underweight. Weighing at 70 grams. He is also a runt so his growth is stunted. He also has one talon missing. He is currently in a large uncovered cardboard box that I change the bedding frequently through the day. He is clipped which I do not like but I bought him that way.

He is the sweetest boy. He loves to cuddle. Loves to look out the window. I adore him already regardless. But I am worried about him. I am feeding him chop, vetafarm pellets, seeds and the nerocare Vetafarm baby formula as advised by the vet.

Has anyone had any stories of their birds with these issues and if so, could you help give me some tips to ensure he recovers the best he can?
Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
bump (for visibility)

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello! Welcome to the avenue!

Glad that this little one has seen the vet.
Depending on where this baby has his pygostyle injury, you may want to consider a small, height limited cage with a low lying perch.

I would not apply the ointment more than the twice daily advised by your vet. Not because he could overdose, but because topicals are nearly almost always ingested to some extent by birds as they groom themselves. Ointments usually have a good wound surface contact ratio even if it appears that the ointment has been wiped away.

Did the vet advise you on diet? Was the vet worried about his weight? What are you currently feeding him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping this little guy. I don't have experience with baby tiels so don't really have advice to offer. Does the vet think he's under weight? It really depends on the size of the bird. I have 2 adult tiels and they both weigh in the 70s which is a healthy weight for them. They are just small.