• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

11 week old Quaker is suddenly afraid of me

Basil♡

Moving in
Hello,
I have an 11 week old quaker parrot (my first ever) that has been nothing but snuggly and friendly towards me since I got him at 7 weeks old. He would look for me and preen me and want to spend every waking moment with me. Yesterday, in order to have him be closer to the commotion of my house, I moved his cage from the bedroom to the living room. I figured that way he could watch TV and be around me and my other pets. He would still hang out in the living room all day while i was home but would stay perched on my plant stand and plant bookshelf. but since i swapped out the plants and the cage, he has been so mad at me. I know that Quakers hate environment changes but i did not think this would count since he has been in both rooms for weeks now. Well, needless to say, he will not let me close to him. he flinches when I ask him to perch on my finger or when i reach towards him. and when I go to put him in his cage, he flies away. he was so angry with me last night he refused to come to me or go to his cage so he spent the night perched on the blinds in another room. This morning, he has been a bit better but only when he wants his formula. He lets me pet him and talk to him and come near him but still flinches if he thinks im going to pick him up and flies away if i try to carry him. he recently learned to fly; has only been doing it for a week now. is this something he can get over? or will he forever be scared of me? i understand he is upset that I moved his cage over but he was there watching me roll his cage out and he watched me assemble the plants in the bedroom. so i know it wasn't sudden. Will he go back to being loving towards me? i am so heartbroken. I dont know what to do besides give him space and offer cheek rubs if he lets me. should I force him to be around me? or just let him do what he wants? i dont want to create bad habits since he is still a baby. Is giving him free fly range of the house spoiling him? he does like his cage to perch and eat and play as well as sleep. and will not get upset if I close the door. but I let him free roam while I'm home. If anyone can offer advice on how to get him to stop being so upset, i would appreciate it.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hello@
Of course he will go back to being loving!

Sometimes things can spooked them and they can connect it to you or to your hands.

And yes some parrots need time to adjust to having all their stuff moved. And others don't care. I hsve 3 quakers. One, Penny, can't stand for me to move stuff in her cage . It can make her mad, it can make her afraid to move around for a day or two. While my other 2 quakers really don't care at all and think its fun to explore changes.

Spend extra time with your Basil. Explain everything. Point out how much he is going to love being in the heart of the home .
Feed lots if treats by hand and tell him how awesome he is.

Basil♡

Moving in
Hello@
Of course he will go back to being loving!

Sometimes things can spooked them and they can connect it to you or to your hands.

And yes some parrots need time to adjust to having all their stuff moved. And others don't care. I hsve 3 quakers. One, Penny, can't stand for me to move stuff in her cage . It can make her mad, it can make her afraid to move around for a day or two. While my other 2 quakers really don't care at all and think its fun to explore changes.

Spend extra time with your Basil. Explain everything. Point out how much he is going to love being in the heart of the home .
Feed lots if treats by hand and tell him how awesome he is.

Thank you <3 he let me give him kisses and feed him formula this afternoon so i think i am a step closer. I am feeling hopeful now :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Spend extra time on cuddling and drop training for a day or so.

Don't chase him around but lure to you.

Should be weaned now or shortly. Not by force but by abundance.

Its a great time to introduce lots of new foods. Cut up all kinds of veggies. Moisten snd break up pellets. Don't forget the leafy good stuff like romaine, Swiss chard, store dandelion greens.

After morning formula feed is a great time to put out all your selections. I find offering in a plate, or use bird skewers helpful.

As your baby matures it may become cage protective. Mine did. So have a perch in tge outside if tge cage by door to step to. Even a perch on a swinging cage door and once the door is open and mine are out of the cage they are fine. Sweeties. Hands going in the cage mine loose their mind

Love to see another picture!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Do you have more than one parrot?

Basil♡

Moving in
Spend extra time on cuddling and drop training for a day or so.

Don't chase him around but lure to you.

Should be weaned now or shortly. Not by force but by abundance.

Its a great time to introduce lots of new foods. Cut up all kinds of veggies. Moisten snd break up pellets. Don't forget the leafy good stuff like romaine, Swiss chard, store dandelion greens.

After morning formula feed is a great time to put out all your selections. I find offering in a plate, or use bird skewers helpful.

As your baby matures it may become cage protective. Mine did. So have a perch in tge outside if tge cage by door to step to. Even a perch on a swinging cage door and once the door is open and mine are out of the cage they are fine. Sweeties. Hands going in the cage mine loose their mind

Love to see another picture!

Thank you! He is my only parrot and my first one ever so i have a million questions. . . . I put chop with kale and cilantro. I also puree beets and carrots to mix into the chop. he ignores it for the time being but if i sprinkle pellets, and dont put a pellet bowl out, he will pick at it lol. This morning, he refused formula from me for the first time. He did not have breakfast until i put him in the cage because i had to go to the office. he began to eat his pellets and seeds. should i still offer breakfast every morning or just get him used to eating in his cage from now on? he usually only has lunch there because if i go to the office or work from home, he chills in the cage and eats when he wants. I do want to add that last night, he came around and stopped being mad at me! it took A LOT of cheek rubs and letting him fly away when he wanted. i just stood there and watched TV and let him fly and nap at weird locations. he eventually came up to me and purred at me. i am so happy!!! I like the perch on the outside of the cage idea. i will do that.
Here are more pics of my baby Basil!

Attachments

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Basil is just adorable, congrats to your new baby! I’m a week past that stage but I was in the exact situation. Exciting that he started to fly! It’s amazing to watch them learn. I’m glad he’s over his anger :roflmao:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I fed my quakers veggies in chunks. Like spears of broccoli and cauliflower, slice of bell pepper , snap a strip of celery. I thaw and serve frozen peas from a bag. Cooked sweet potato and carrots. Slices of squash. Zucchini. Cucumber. Whole leaves of romaine and Swiss shard. Occasionally some boiled egg. Some soaked and cooked legume. Sprouts They got beaks, they like to tear stuff up. And mine are great at eating the rainbow

Anyway. Nothing against chop, it can be great for many. Especially if they are the type to be picky. But I don't go to the effort very often and if I do I just serve it fresh.