• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

11 week old now biting

LNC76

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lisa
My partner got a 10 week old rainbow lorikeet we don't know if it's male or female my partner does everything for the bird the bird is pretty good with him but myself and my son can't touch the bird he strikes out if we put our hand near the bird the bird has also strike out at my partner a couple of times but generally let's him pat him rub his neck feed him pick him up

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there, welcome to the Avenue.

I am not sure what is going on exactly. It sounds like a young bird. Is it tame. Has it been handled and socialized. Birds will not automatically like all new people but at this young age it is likely that you will all be able to get to know him as he settles in.

If he is not used to you then try and interact in ways that he seems comfortable and as he gets use to you you will be able to do more with him. Try and build up a pattern of positive interactions. If he is comfortable with you in the room talking to him then do that. If he approaches you nicely then let him take the lead and slowly gain his trust. The more positive interactions the better. Try and avoid anything that scares him or provokes aggression. Positive interaction builds trust causing fear and stress will lead to set backs.

Perhaps if you can provide more information someone else my also be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck :)