• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

$10,000 Quaker parrot?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Their whole operation might be a scam. The website looks fine, but the grammar on some of the pages is a mess. It's a typical sign of a scam operation. They also appear clueless about birds in general. Their suggested cage size for a crimson bellied conure is 18 inches square.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I've seen grey quakers. I'm part of a Facebook group for quakers and I think a couple of members have grey quakers. But I've never heard of a black quaker.

But jeez, that's a lot of money for a Quaker!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
$10,000 is quite a high price for a QP of any color-- though of course I wouldn't sell Ralph for a hundred times that. :D Back in the spring, a local pet store had a gray QP for $550 (already sold when I saw him). That seems like a much more reasonable price to me.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
This is the reply -

Hello

Thank you for your reply. Yes when paired with a white will produce black babies. Babies will be white, black and grey also.

Free shipping (Saving you $175 in Shipping) Also, it’s good to know that no bird has ever died during shipping. Quakers handle the trip very nicely.

Please go to this link to view pictures and order your Quaker.

Here is the link: Quakers – Fly Babies Aviary

Thank you.

:think1:
so how many did you order??? Lol!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've seen grey quakers. I'm part of a Facebook group for quakers and I think a couple of members have grey quakers. But I've never heard of a black quaker.

But jeez, that's a lot of money for a Quaker!
It sure is!

Their whole operation might be a scam. The website looks fine, but the grammar on some of the pages is a mess. It's a typical sign of a scam operation. They also appear clueless about birds in general. Their suggested cage size for a crimson bellied conure is 18 inches square.
Yes, could be shady. The pictures and videos show that woman but the person who replied to my email was a man, supposedly. Maybe they're a couple. But I have a feeling the man is the one with the bad grammar.

$10,000 is quite a high price for a QP of any color-- though of course I wouldn't sell Ralph for a hundred times that. :D Back in the spring, a local pet store had a gray QP for $550 (already sold when I saw him). That seems like a much more reasonable price to me.
Ralph is a special guy! For 10 times $10,000 I'd have to do some serious thinking about giving Blu up.:rofl:
I've seen greys for about $800 before online but have never seen one in person.

so how many did you order??? Lol!
:coffeescreen:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can't believe this is legitimate... are we sure it's legitimate????

If a "black" quaker is in actuality a mauve quaker, then the short answer is "yes"... you would need a quaker with the blue mutation, the grey factor, then double factor dark! That is, a bird with, at minimum, "5" mutations, maybe 6. (split between both chromosomes - two blue to be visual, 2 dark to be, well, dark!, and depending on grey mutation - 1 to 2 of those! depends on if mutation is recessive or dominant)

As far as I can tell, and I could be wrong, but this is a pallid grey... there is no way you are going to get a black quaker from him/her any time soon! Or ever! Not to say you can't use that bird's genetics to eventually produce a black chick after at least a couple of generations, but that bird in particular can't produce a black chick. That quaker would need a dark factor and would need to be paired with another quaker that is visually or split grey (as I understand it, grey in the USA is recessive), visually or split blue and also carries at least one dark factor. If a white quaker isn't also grey and dark factor, you will not get black chicks...

In short, $2k might be too much of an asking price for the bird.... and based on their website, you aren't even guaranteed the bird pictured.... which doesn't look to be in good feather anyway.

Perhaps I'm wrong... I don't really follow quaker mutations nor prices.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you @expressmailtome , Matt!
And a huge thank you @Monica! I do believe it's legitimate.

Btw, I realize you guys don't really know me and my joke about selling Blu might not have been taken as a joke. So I feel I need to say that I was just kidding. I would never ever sell Blu!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It might actually not be legitimate because I just realized lovebirds are going for $124 with free shipping too. I think shipping a bird costs like $125-$150. So if that's the case they're giving birds away at a loss. That doesn't add up

Serin

Sprinting down the street
It might actually not be legitimate because I just realized lovebirds are going for $124 with free shipping too. I think shipping a bird costs like $125-$150. So if that's the case they're giving birds away at a loss. That doesn't add up
it was $50 a few years ago when I had some finches shipped in.