• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 year old Rosebreasted Cockatoo Eyering Color Change

src517

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hi all,

I’ve had my rosebreasted cockatoo Mochi for a year and she’s around a year and a half old. Today, I noticed the rings around her eyes were a little pink towards the front (her right eye ring more so) and her right eye ring looked a little bigger than normal. I’m going to wait a day to see if it gets better or worse and then take her to the vet. She hasn’t had any diet changes, I have her with me for 6+ hours a day, and I haven’t noticed any behavior changes in her. I was wondering if anyone knows what this could be? Is it natural? Or something like she scratched it? Or should I take her to a vet right away?
I’m really really worried about her as she’s my baby so I would appreciate greatly any help or advice. I’ve attached pictures of her that show her eyering well, but she loves biting my phone case so it is hard to get good photos. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
From what I know about galahs I think some subspecies have pink eye rings normally?
@zoo mom @Lexusblond ?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am not sure. Does she act like her eyes bother her? Scratching them a lot?

src517

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I am not sure. Does she act like her eyes bother her? Scratching them a lot?
I haven't noticed anything different in regards to how she's acting/acting about her eyes. I'll keep a closer eye on her tomorrow as well to see if I notice any different behaviors or if it looks better/worse.

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
First she is gorgeous, second it looks like it might be an allergy to something to me. The ring around the eye changes but in a more unformed way and not like what your cutie is showing plus she is too young for it to have any great change.

Here are few pics to show the difference. First Gerry Berry who is just over a year old also female
20220120_093931.jpg 20220120_093930.jpg
Now Miss Madeleine she is just over 2 years old...
20220120_093823.jpg
20220120_093833.jpg 20220120_093915.jpg
Hope this helps...:heart2:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree it looks inflamed or irritated keep an eye on her and offer frequent bathing opportunities, she is very gorgeous btw :p:hilarious::xflove:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you use any type of heat lamp or UVB bulb near her?

src517

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
First she is gorgeous, second it looks like it might be an allergy to something to me. The ring around the eye changes but in a more unformed way and not like what your cutie is showing plus she is too young for it to have any great change.

Here are few pics to show the difference. First Gerry Berry who is just over a year old also female
View attachment 401366 View attachment 401367
Now Miss Madeleine she is just over 2 years old...
View attachment 401368
View attachment 401369 View attachment 401370
Hope this helps...:heart2:
First of all, thank you so so much for the compliment! She is my pride and joy. Also thank you especially for the pictures. Your birds are beautiful! I'll try to keep in mind that in the future, they will change so I don't freak out the same way!
I agree it looks inflamed or irritated keep an eye on her and offer frequent bathing opportunities, she is very gorgeous btw :p:hilarious::xflove:
I will make sure to keep an eye and maybe take her for another little shower. Hopefully a good night's rest will help and tomorrow it won't be as red/irritated, but if it is or worse, I will take her to the vet right away. Also, thank you so much! :xflove:
Do you use any type of heat lamp or UVB bulb near her?
No, I don't use any sort of heat lamp or UVB bulb

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
Awesome...I would look around her environment to see if there is anything that could possibly give of any type of dust and also be mindful of what you have touched before you touch her, even the type of soap you use can have an effect... if you have any other question anytime hit me up! Happy to help...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Same here. Always happy to help in any way with our Pinksters. And both of your Pinksters are gorgeous.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The above is not a good eye picture but Russell Peck Boogertoo waving hi.

src517

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Same here. Always happy to help in any way with our Pinksters. And both of your Pinksters are gorgeous.

Such a cutie!! Thank you for your help!

Just an update for everyone, as of today her eyerings are much less red and the swelling seems to have gone down (though still more swollen than normal). I’m guessing something happened to irritate it yesterday, but I’m keeping a close eye on her. A bad picture because she really wants to bite my phone and it’s rainy out!

EDD4B635-6473-4EF3-820D-1EECFD575C41.jpeg