• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 year old cockatiel passing undigested seeds and losing weight (64g)

Scots

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Scott
My 1 year old female cockatiel has been passing undigested seeds and losing weight recently. I took her to the vets when it start and he told me to take her off seeds all together and only feed fresh foods like greens, rice, pasta etc, but she will not eat anything apart from seed. plus I’ve been reading that if it’s a fungal infection, wet food can make it worse. She eats a lot of seeds but passes undigested and doesn’t seem to be getting any nutrients or fat from them. Does anyone know of anything I could try to see if she’ll start digesting something. Or had something similar happen with their tiel? Thanks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feel like the diet the vet suggested is too low in calories. Will your bird eat any pellets? Did the vet do any tests, and is your bird taking meds?

Reactions: tka

Scots

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Scott
I feel like the diet the vet suggested is too low in calories. Will your bird eat any pellets? Did the vet do any tests, and is your bird taking meds?
I thought the same thing and feel like they couldn’t really care when I took her. I’ve tried to swap her to pellets but again she just refuses to eat them at all. And no did not give me any medication.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you get a second opinion? The vet didn't do any tests? Have you tried nutriberries?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I consider passing seeds an emergency and believe you need to either visit another vet or ask this one to run tests.

animalover

Jogging around the block
there are a lot of things that could cause this, I wouldn't recommend doing any massive diet changes before getting tests done, my cockatiel also only eats seeds, I add nutrients by sprinkling powdered pellets over his food, it helps a lot, its really important that you go ahead with the tests so you know what the source of the problem is.