• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 of 2 quail always has poop on toes

Illusion

Checking out the neighborhood
NOTE: I apologize if I’m using this forum incorrectly, I just joined to ask this so I’m very confused lol

A few weeks ago, some unfortunate circumstances regarding a nest of quail eggs led to us having to incubate 3 of them. Two hatched and are healthy little gambel’s quail. However, I noticed that one of the two always seems to have poop stuck to it’s feet. I always clean it off gently, though this can be difficult if it’s already hardened. The other quail has perfectly clean feet, so I’m not sure why one is clean while the other is dirty. Both act normal, eat, drink, learning to fly, everything. I would like to note that the clean one was incubated+hatched a week before the dirty one, so there is a slight difference in size; not by much though. I haven’t noticed the older one pecking the younger one to be clear. Just in case anyone thinks it could be a dominance thing I thought I’d mention it though. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do not have that particular experience with quail. However when I was raising silkie chickens I had one little roo who always got poop stuck on him. I ensured he was always clean, and used warm water to wipe it away. If he got too wet I used a hair blow dryer on a low setting to ensure he was perfectly dry before returning him to the group. When he grew up this was no longer a problem. I think some babies are just worse at self cleaning.

What kind of material are they walking on?

Illusion

I do not have that particular experience with quail. However when I was raising silkie chickens I had one little roo who always got poop stuck on him. I ensured he was always clean, and used warm water to wipe it away. If he got too wet I used a hair blow dryer on a low setting to ensure he was perfectly dry before returning him to the group. When he grew up this was no longer a problem. I think some babies are just worse at self cleaning.

What kind of material are they walking on?
Currently they’re on paper towels that I’m replacing every day. Perhaps it is just a case of a chick with poor cleaning abilities lol. Hopeful it’ll outgrow this, but I’m just wanted to knock out any possible health concerns.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Currently they’re on paper towels that I’m replacing every day. Perhaps it is just a case of a chick with poor cleaning abilities lol. Hopeful it’ll outgrow this, but I’m just wanted to knock out any possible health concerns.
It is a reasonable concern since it isn't as common for fowl to struggle with cleanliness :) For silkies it is more common since their feathers do not zip. I am unsure if you have a frizzle type quail. I am also unsure if quail can be frizzle, which for chickens is also a bred trait that doesn't have normal 'zip-able' feathers.

For litter may I suggest trying to add dirt and/or hemp or birch chips to their enclosure. Paper towel alone is a bit barren, and whilst I understand it is easy to clean, the little ones benefit from kicking around in their litter and learning about quail life. Dust bathing in dirt is also a healthy hygiene behaviour for quail. Varied litter is also better for their leg strength since they can work and build up muscles and are less likely to slip on the flat surface of paper towel.

Illusion

It is a reasonable concern since it isn't as common for fowl to struggle with cleanliness :) For silkies it is more common since their feathers do not zip. I am unsure if you have a frizzle type quail. I am also unsure if quail can be frizzle, which for chickens is also a bred trait that doesn't have normal 'zip-able' feathers.

For litter may I suggest trying to add dirt and/or hemp or birch chips to their enclosure. Paper towel alone is a bit barren, and whilst I understand it is easy to clean, the little ones benefit from kicking around in their litter and learning about quail life. Dust bathing in dirt is also a healthy hygiene behaviour for quail. Varied litter is also better for their leg strength since they can work and build up muscles and are less likely to slip on the flat surface of paper towel.
Thank you for this all! I was hesitant to use any kind of wood shavings or chips because of the potential smell, but I’ll look into different kinds. As for a dust bath, would something like chinchilla dust be ideal? Or would Childrens play sand be a better route? I’ve got a hamster and thus have a good supply of Childrens play sand without any harmful chemicals. If need be, I could also see what the stores around me have as far as different soils. We live in a desert environment, so perhaps adding some washed rocks or sticks would be a good option? Again thank you so much for helping me, I really, really appreciate it

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Illusion

If I recall chinchilla dust is very fine? Can you share a picture of it? A mix of the hamster sand with some stones and pebbles will def add interest to their environment. Some leaves or plant debris would help too. I would also add lots of hiding places, quail must always feel secure. You can add living or artificial plants to give them a sense of dense foliage along with little hides. In the wild quail are always near the underbrush. They aren't as bold as larger ground foraging birds. If they are scared they can injure themselves in a panic, very seriously too.

In terms of soil, I am unsure where you can get sanitised earth. For my chickens I simply shovel some from my own yard. I imagine you could find something suitable where you get hamster supplies. Quail produce an oil that keeps their feathers healthy and sealed. This same oil bonds to dirt when they bathe in soil/dirt and allows them to stay clean. It is something I find amazing with my chickens. The power of a dirt bath.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for this all! I was hesitant to use any kind of wood shavings or chips because of the potential smell, but I’ll look into different kinds. As for a dust bath, would something like chinchilla dust be ideal? Or would Childrens play sand be a better route? I’ve got a hamster and thus have a good supply of Childrens play sand without any harmful chemicals. If need be, I could also see what the stores around me have as far as different soils. We live in a desert environment, so perhaps adding some washed rocks or sticks would be a good option? Again thank you so much for helping me, I really, really appreciate it
When I was raising quail, I always used children's play sand in their "sandbox". They LOVED it. Whenever I put in fresh sand, they'd all pile into the box at once and go to town.

Additionally, I would occasionally (about once a month) mix some diatomaceous earth (DE) into the sand, which worked beautifully to keep them from getting fleas or other parasites without exposing them to chemicals. Parasites are a given where I live, so to go several years and never see so much as a single flea is a noteworthy result.

Last edited: