• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1 day old lovebird and would love advice! (sad update #141 + #183)

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I was able to get through to a vet and they were telling me what to do, but Phoenix didn't make it. The vet was giving me a formula for sour crop (pedialyte and pureed papaya). She was also saying that it's really hard to take care of them this young when the parents don't.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was able to get through to a vet and they were telling me what to do, but Phoenix didn't make it. The vet was giving me a formula for sour crop (pedialyte and pureed papaya). She was also saying that it's really hard to take care of them this young when the parents don't.
I'm very sorry to hear that she didn't make it. What exactly did the vet tell you to do?

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I'm very sorry to hear that she didn't make it. What exactly did the vet tell you to do?
I was explaining to the vet what had happened (feeding habbits, type of formula, ratio, etc) and told her that I think Phoenix has sour crop and she asked what made me think. I told her about how her crop didn't go down much since 10am and that I had her 3 drops of food. She was then explaining a formula that I can use to treat sour crop, which was warm Pedialyte (1/2 cup) mixed with pureed papaya (1 TBSP) and to feed Phoenix that twice before going back to formula and to stick with watery formula after that. When I hung up with the vet, I checked on Phoenix and she wasn't breathing anymore. She also gave me the number for another vet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry Kristina.
I had a very bad feeling when I saw the picture of the chicks together.
This is the trouble with the internet, no matter what, all the info or knowledge people can pass on, at the end of the day, we are not there, we can´t see the birds with our own eyes or know exactly how they are being kept, the food given, preparation, the actual feed, the environment.
Breeding is complicated.
I´m hoping for a better outcome for little Valentine.

@Mockinbirdiva
The papaya/electrolyte mix is recommended by Tony Silva. I posted in the handfeeding sticky on this forum a handful of videos of him showing how to prepare it and explaining how to administer it. It was brought up in Britneys thread a while ago.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
I´m very sorry Kristina.
This is the trouble with the internet, no matter what, all the info or knowledge people can pass on, at the end of the day, we are not there, we can´t see the birds with our own eyes or know exactly how they are being kept, the food given, preparation, the actual feed, the environment.
Breeding is complicated.

@Mockinbirdiva
The papaya/electrolyte mix is recommended by Tony Silva. I posted in the handfeeding sticky on this forum a handful of videos of him showing how to prepare it and explaining how to administer it. It was brought up in Britneys thread a while ago.
Thank you Zara, I truly appreciate it. Hoping Valentine will be okay too. She just had a feeding. She squirms around a lot in the brooder when I try to feed her. Any tips?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I´m very sorry Kristina.
Breeding is complicated.

@Mockinbirdiva
I saw that post but wondered if the vet had any other instructions for her including preparing the papaya/electolyte mix.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’m so sorry for your loss :( valentine seems to be doing really good though, I hope she pulls through!! You’re doing amazing :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She squirms around a lot in the brooder when I try to feed her. Any tips?
Softly cradle her with one hand and feed with the other. You want to keep her in position without holding her tight.
It will be easier once her eyes open, for now just try your best, then remove any bedding with formula dripped on, and clean up the baby with a cotton ball.

Take a moment to check your temp/humidity of the brooder frequently.
Be sure when you leave Valentine, that you leave her near the soft snuggle item she has to snuggle in to.

And then the obvious, washing hands before handling her, checking food temp thoroughly, being sure there´s no lumps in the formula (I use a spoon and use the back of it to squash through all the formula), cleaning utensils betweens feeds, leaving the syringe in two pieces so it can air dry inside.

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Softly cradle her with one hand and feed with the other. You want to keep her in position without holding her tight.
It will be easier once her eyes open, for now just try your best, then remove any bedding with formula dripped on, and clean up the baby with a cotton ball.
Thank you, Zara! Valentine is doing well. She's getting easier to feed and didn't squirm as much when I had previously asked you how to handle her during feeding. She's already trying to get into eating position on her own but I still guide her. I have to constantly clean her up too lol

Take a moment to check your temp/humidity of the brooder frequently.
Be sure when you leave Valentine, that you leave her near the soft snuggle item she has to snuggle in to.
Temp is kept constant (96-97F) and humidity always around 58-61%. She's always snuggling up again one of the knotted fabrics.

And then the obvious, washing hands before handling her, checking food temp thoroughly, being sure there´s no lumps in the formula (I use a spoon and use the back of it to squash through all the formula), cleaning utensils betweens feeds, leaving the syringe in two pieces so it can air dry inside.
Yup! I'm doing those as well and using a spoon to make sure there's no lumps.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
325C2464-693B-44E9-8F5F-840A9AE6B615.jpeg
I kind of noticed Valentine’s head kind of going under the cloth buddies you made, this position would be ideal for them... this was what Zara told me on my thread

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How’s valentine doing? Have any of the other eggs hatched? I’m routing for you all :) :heart:

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
How’s valentine doing? Have any of the other eggs hatched? I’m routing for you all :) :heart:
Valentine is doing well! My weighing scale was supposed to come in today but it got delayed so I haven't been able to have a proper weigh besides what I did earlier (which was 3g).

The other eggs didn't hatch and I don't think they will. They never had that greyish color like the other 3 eggs.

And thank you! I've been focusing on Valentine a lot.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Valentine is doing well! My weighing scale was supposed to come in today but it got delayed so I haven't been able to have a proper weigh besides what I did earlier (which was 3g).

The other eggs didn't hatch and I don't think they will. They never had that greyish color like the other 3 eggs.

And thank you! I've been focusing on Valentine a lot.
I’m glad to hear she’s doing good! Keep it up dude, she’ll grow into a beautiful lovebird before you know it :heart:

Sorry about the eggs though, sometimes that’s just out of your control

Kristina24

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kristina
Just wanted to update ya'll on Valentine! She's gained a gram so it's nice knowing she's gaining weight and not losing weight! I feel like she did get a tad bit bigger and she's been having formed brownish poop (which I think is good) also..Happy Valentine's Day from Valentine!

IMG_4172.jpeg

^Valentine from earlier this morning^

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry to hear about Phoenix, Valentine is looking good though!