• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

❤️ My happy place ❤️

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did anything come out of this in the end?
Kind of. I have some info on the chickens, I think the lack of, the coups at the back, and more. Will post in a sec. Got pictures but I wanna make my dinner because I´m hungry :)

Zara, would anyone realise if a few rabbits disappeared?
No. They are not native wild, nor are they owned by the park.
It would be like if you find an abandoned dog by the side of the road and you take it home.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Kind of. I have some info on the chickens, I think the lack of, the coups at the back, and more. Will post in a sec. Got pictures but I wanna make my dinner because I´m hungry :)
Of course! Feeding is important for people too? What's on the menu :D

No. They are not native wild, nor are they owned by the park.
It would be like if you find an abandoned dog by the side of the road and you take it home.
OK, can I have the address please:laugh:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OK, can I have the address please:laugh:
Parque la Paloma, Benalmádena .... though taking a bag of rabbits home to the UK could be hard work. Reminds me of when I was at the croc park and the guy handed me a baby, and i stroked her and was like ¨she´s so cute, I just wanna take her home¨, the guy said, ¨ok take her, but you won´t get through the airport!¨, I told him it wasn´t a prob as I live across the road :lol:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I told him it wasn´t a prob as I live across the road :lol:
:lol: You should have done it! After all, he told you you could!

So, croc Park. We never got pictures of that...
I want to do a keepers experience at Crocodiles of the World in Brize Norton. It looks amazing!

Parque la Paloma, Benalmádena .... though taking a bag of rabbits home to the UK could be hard work
I need to but a boat. The joys of Malaga being relatively close to the sea and Dorset being on the sea! Just come around on a kayak!:lol:

I'll be expecting dinner when I arrive by the way!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh I love the pictures. What a fun day. I'm so glad you got to visit. I would seriously keel over if I saw a cluster of green parrots out in the world. And those bunnies. And roosters. Heaven on earth.
:heart: :birdance::heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So, croc Park. We never got pictures of that...
I made a thread for you :rolleyes:

I want to do a keepers experience at Crocodiles of the World in Brize Norton. It looks amazing!
What does that entail? There´s not much you can do hands on with crocs...

I would seriously keel over if I saw a cluster of green parrots out in the world. And those bunnies. And roosters.
All cuties! Lots of the parakeets were only young. All learning how to forage!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So glad you got to go back to your favorite place and visit the critters. I was so surprised to see all the quakers! My heart does break for all the bunnies though.... Thanks for sharing your visit... made me smile!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for sharing your visit... made me smile!
:)
Here´s one of the bunnies, I only had bread or grains but he looked hungry so I offered some bread. Youtube won´t let me add music today :cautious: so you will have to listen to me talking to the bunny :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Update on the chicken cages, they were empty for so long and I asked the security guy a while back why there were birds trapped inside and he did not know...
Well, they have started a programme for the park. Some of the animals have been adopted out. I don't know what animals. I know that the peacocks, swans and large ducks are no longer in the park, and I haven't seen my Guinea fowl friend either. So I do not know if they will be returning.
They have set up a system to vaccine and vet all the birds in the park. So every animal in the park will be adopted out, or vaccined and vetted, and allowed to stay.
Today's birds in prison are,
IMG_20200923_161534.jpg IMG_20200923_161546.jpg IMG_20200923_161540.jpg
Here is the sign,
IMG_20200923_161510.jpg
Edited to add translation,
¨Dear users,
we inform you that we are starting a ¨prgramme of work to better the conditions of the fauna of Dove Park¨.
This programme includes measures for the grounds, native fauna and domestic fauna.
While working with the chicken group of the park, we have promoted the adoption of animals and are taking sanitary measures for them.
The animals in these cages are in the process of vaccination and treatments and will be incorporated into the collection of the park.
We appreciate that you do not bother the animals, don´t offer inadequate foods, and respect the integrity of the enclosures, permitting that the programme benefits these animals and the nature of the park.
Thankyou very much, we hope you enjoy our installations.¨

And later on I saw something interesting, a hen standing on all her chicks, always catches my eye, so I stopped and pulled some food out, as she came close, I saw she's wearing a bracelet, so she is one of the birds who has been vetted and will be staying :)
IMG_20200923_163233.jpg
IMG_20200923_163236.jpg

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So were all them animals originally dumped there? Is that sign informing people of the adopting programme?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So were all them animals originally dumped there?
During a visit last year, I met a lovely couple, had been visiting the park since before any animals lived in it.
They told me that there was a house at the top of the park (so behind the cactus gardens), and the family were very gypsy and had lots of chickens that would creep into the park. Over time they just moved in. When the family sold their home, the chickens stayed. The house was knocked down and a youth centre built.
Ducks, quakers and pigeons moved in as they saw people were feeding the chickens.
I don´t know where the peacock, guinea fowl, large ducks or swans came from.
The rabbits and guinea pigs are abandoned pets, as are the terrapins in the lakes.
I meet a lot of people in the park, and many have told me tales of witnessing terrapins being abandoned in the ponds - lots of those stories involving parents making their children say their goodbyes and that their pets would be ¨happier¨.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is that sign informing people of the adopting programme?
The sign, which I haven´t seen before is informing why the chickens are locked up. I´m sure people were going nuts over it. Mainly to say, not to hassle or give junk food to the birds as they are currently undergoing treatments and vaccines so they can stay in the park in more higienic conditions... I think the current pandemic may have made them step up the vet care for these animals.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
As sad as it is that they were all abandoned or just found their way there it is sweet that so many locals took an interest and kept an eye on the health and well being of all the animals and it is even better that all the animals thrived. So glad they are now doing something to manage it all a bit better for them :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As sad as it is that they were all abandoned or just found their way there it is sweet that so many locals took an interest and kept an eye on the health and well being of all the animals and it is even better that all the animals thrived. So glad they are now doing something to manage it all a bit better for them :)
Yes, quite the silver lining I suppose.
I am kinda hoping the swans are being housed elsewhere while getting vetted and will be returned to the park... Obviously they can´t be kept in the cages. We shall see.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just checked my phone. There was no sign on the chicken cages mid june, but the sign was there on my last visit end of july. I obviously did not see it.
They probably received a lot of complaints so had to inform what is going on...