• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

❤️ My happy place ❤️

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@fashionfobie Do you know why the ducks wings are bad like that? These two ducks have been like that a long time :(

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@fashionfobie Do you know why the ducks wings are bad like that? These two ducks have been like that a long time :(
It is called angel wing. From what I understand about it, it is from young birds having a too high of protein diet that is too low in critical vitamins like vitamin D, and E. It is sorta like rickets that humans used to and can get.

It will be life long once they have it though. Poor duckie.
Ducks eat lots of green matter with some insects, snails and minnows, etc. They shouldn't eat too much grain, and I think ill informed people may have fed them more of a chicken starter rather than a duckling starter. Ducklings really need to stay away from too much bread.

Don´t yell at me for the bread :( , I had a whole loaf almost that needed eating asap so I thought best give it to them before having to put it in the bin.
I am not yelling at your about bringing bread :bluhug:Clearly there are a wide range or species there! Not all are the same, pigeons live happily on grains. I love that you are helping out these birds!

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ducks eat lots of green matter with some insects, snails and minnows, etc. They shouldn't eat too much grain, and I think ill informed people may have fed them more of a chicken starter rather than a duckling starter.
These ducks were born in the park years ago. I don´t know what they eat when no one visits... grass? But lot´s of visitors offer what they have to hand - which is usually crisps, popcorn and other kids junk food.
I usually give them brown bread and chopped greens, peas, cabbage etc

It is called angel wing. From what I understand about it, it is from young birds having a too high of protein diet that is too low in critical vitamins like vitamin D, and E. It is sorta like rickets that humans used to and can get.
Thankyou, I first thought it was from a fight but then I saw another duck like that and I wasn´t sure. Such a shame :( These are my favourite ducks, they are so adorable ❤

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I haven't seen these Guinea fowl for a while... :(

Helmeted guinea fowl are really friendly in my experience with them. They are noisy though. I find their little expressions adorable. Nice to see some in the park.

:)

´guess who I saw yesterday.... only one though...

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
´guess who I saw yesterday.... only one though...
OMG what a cutie! :swoon: I love the excited trill when he takes the treats from your hand. If I lived in the country side I would seriously consider adopting a few.

Thank you for the share!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I looked high and low for the two young ducks but I couldn´t see them nor their parents. I went to my indi bird shop today and picked up a few kilo of mix so I´ll go back to the park on monday or tuesday and have another look :)
I did see the peacock the other day, he enjoyed eating peas. I haven´t seen any peacocks in a while so it was lovely seeing him emerge from the bushes :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:heart::heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There was a LOT more collared doves the other day, they must have been busy breeding.
IMG_20200106_152321.jpg IMG_20200106_152316.jpg

Also spotted a new Guinea pig, he was long haired :( didn't get a pic of him but did feed him some veggies.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I'd love a place to visit like that!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love guineas! Just caught up with this thread... what a fun place to go to. I'd have to buy some bunny pellets and feed the lot!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love guineas! Just caught up with this thread... what a fun place to go to. I'd have to buy some bunny pellets and feed the lot!
Guineas are just lovely! There was a flock I bumped into at UQ's campus and they were so friendly and just wanted to talk to me about their days. They sat with me for maybe 40 minutes. They are wonderful birds.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Guineas are just lovely! There was a flock I bumped into at UQ's campus and they were so friendly and just wanted to talk to me about their days. They sat with me for maybe 40 minutes. They are wonderful birds.

I've always wanted to "make" one with a gourd. Of course, there are tons of things I want to make... so maybe one day I'll get to the unique guinea. I have a love for the limpkin too... and had just the perfect gourd that had a nice long neck that grew back to the body of the gourd... so I used polymer clay to sculpt the head on to the neck... the stem is inside the beak.

I made the nest too with vines.

Limkin Gourd:full.JPG

Limkinfront.JPG