• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

❤️ My happy place ❤️

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Wow that looks like pure heaven!! Hehe I love your loyal following scuttling after you :heart: too cute!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hehe I love your loyal following scuttling after you
Those pigeons can hear a single seed drop from hundreds of metres away! :lol:
:feedpigeons:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a lovely place!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So many hungry birds. Do they ever get full?
No. They don´t get fed by any official means - they just live off bugs. Sometimes when I throw the chop down they look at it like :cautious: but as I move on, they circle back and gobble the lot. They like crisps and junk food that the kids normally feed them, which is a dear shame. (not the large ducks, they prefer brown bread and won´t eat the crisps luckily).
I don´t visit the park ever on weekends. Too many kids for my liking and they change the animals. By chasing them and trying to pick them up, they are all skittish, the rabbits won´t come over, nor the ducks and the chickens don´t eat.

I wish they would employ a protector for the park. Someone to walk around and make sure no one is abusing the animals or allowing their dog to do their business anywhere. They could sell bags of seed and make the money back easily for the wage.

At one point the coucil said they were going to stop the chickens roaming because they were taking over the park (there´s actually loads more pigeons than chickens), they built little pens to cage them and people went nuts. I´ll take a picture next time I´m there of them and you´ll see why (I might bob down later on as I think it may rain) They also put out in the papers that if anyone wants a chicken, to come to the park and help themselves.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
It looks incredible there! Those poor bunnies though! At least they have their own little bunny community there, where they get lots of love and attention from visitors. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Helmeted guinea fowl are really friendly in my experience with them. They are noisy though. I find their little expressions adorable. Nice to see some in the park.

:)

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
How do the guinea pigs and rabbits survive? Don’t they get hunted by hawks, dogs and cats?

It’s cool that it’s a little haven their, beautiful pictures to. :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those poor bunnies though!
The council had to put up signs pleading people not to abandon their pets in the park :(

I find their little expressions adorable. Nice to see some in the park.
They were so sweet. But it's been a while... Maybe someone took them. I don't know.

How do the guinea pigs and rabbits survive? Don’t they get hunted by hawks, dogs and cats?
There's a lot of cover. Trees and bushes. Dogs no because they must be kept on a lead at all times. And cats... I don't know. There are cats living in the park.
I see this one all the time.. Just saw her today too,
Screenshot_20190920_141622.jpg

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
The council had to put up signs pleading people not to abandon their pets in the park :(

They were so sweet. But it's been a while... Maybe someone took them. I don't know.

There's a lot of cover. Trees and bushes. Dogs no because they must be kept on a lead at all times. And cats... I don't know. There are cats living in the park.
I see this one all the time.. Just saw her today too,
View attachment 315617
That's awful. :sad4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At one point the coucil said they were going to stop the chickens roaming because they were taking over the park (there´s actually loads more pigeons than chickens), they built little pens to cage them and people went nuts. I´ll take a picture next time I´m there
Here are the chicken coups, they were built about 2 years ago now,
IMG_20190920_131053.jpg IMG_20190920_131124.jpg IMG_20190920_131129.jpg IMG_20190920_131156.jpg

And here's the old tap with the tub underneath, I put it back and filled it, IMG_20190920_131432.jpg sometimes the birds bathe in the tubs so they move

edit; you can see behind the tap is an old aviary. There´s nothing in it. It has always been empty. So maybe this happened before with saying they would cage birds and then not doing so, I wish I´d asked an older couple I met the other month, they have been frequenting the park since it was opened.

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish they would employ a protector for the park. Someone to walk around and make sure no one is abusing the animals or allowing their dog to do their business anywhere. They could sell bags of seed and make the money back easily for the wage.
Excellent idea! Could you get this idea to the right people or a group of people to get this started?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Excellent idea! Could you get this idea to the right people or a group of people to get this started?
I can´t imagine they will do that. I will send them an email regardless. They know that there are regulars who take it upon themselves to protect the animals so why pay someone :(
We´ll see :)

I made a video of the ducks this morning, I´ll post once it´s uploaded. I wish I could bring those baby ducks home with me, they were just the sweetest!!!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can´t imagine they will do that. I will send them an email regardless. They know that there are regulars who take it upon themselves to protect the animals so why pay someone :(
We´ll see :)

I made a video of the ducks this morning, I´ll post once it´s uploaded. I wish I could bring those baby ducks home with me, they were just the sweetest!!!
So cute!

Maybe you could pitch the idea to them as a money making idea with them selling food. If they are unwilling to pay a person maybe they would at least put in coin operated machines that would dispense a handful of food.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe you could pitch the idea to them as a money making idea with them selling food. If they are unwilling to pay a person maybe they would at least put in coin operated machines that would dispense a handful of food.
Yea, it´s a gold mine there. They could easy sell little bags of chopped carrots and veggies or weight of seed for 1euro or whatever. People would pay it and they would make a load of money and the animals would eat healthy.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yea, it´s a gold mine there. They could easy sell little bags of chopped carrots and veggies or weight of seed for 1euro or whatever. People would pay it and they would make a load of money and the animals would eat healthy.
They have a business in AZ like that with deer, goats, pigs, ducks, etc. and they have these silo/dispenser things you put change in and get a handful of seed or grain mix to feed the animals. I don’t think they wanted to pay for or clean up bags or cups but we always brought our own cups to fill there and feed the animals, it was awesome!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They have a business in AZ like that with deer, goats, pigs, ducks, etc. and they have these silo/dispenser things you put change in and get a handful of seed or grain mix to feed the animals. I don’t think they wanted to pay for or clean up bags or cups but we always brought our own cups to fill there and feed the animals, it was awesome!
My mum is a member of the WWT in the UK and at the location we visit they sell paper bags of seed at the front desk and around the site they have vending machines that sell paper bags of seed incase you have run out. I´ll be visiting soon the same day I land in the UK :D

Awe! Yummy peas!
Yes, peas rice green beans and lentils.
Don´t yell at me for the bread :( , I had a whole loaf almost that needed eating asap so I thought best give it to them before having to put it in the bin.

Also, in the video when the pigeons land on me you can see the gate behind me... literally.. that´s how far in the park I got and I almost ran out of food there :lol: