• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

⚠️ Warning!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
So as a way of Education I want to share the last two videos that I took of Baylee before she died. I think it’s important for people to learn the signs of what a possible stroke in birds looks like. It’s two videos one is 27 seconds and the second one is 14 seconds she died 20 seconds after this video finished.
Separated by 1 minute time between the first video and the second one..where she was back to normal acting like nothing happened the second episode happened as I was putting my shoes on and then grabbing her to go to the vet which is 20 minutes away on car… can anyone put this as a sticky please?

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Thank you for sharing those difficult moments -- I'm sorry for the loss of Baylee.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Thank you for sharing those difficult moments -- I'm sorry for the loss of Baylee.
I’m more calm now I won’t be rewatching the videos as the whole situation got me paranoid.. but I think it’s important for people to learn how a stroke looks like in birds but there was nothing I could do to help her.
My friend is an avian veterinarian she is working in Canada and when I send her the video many hours later after Baylee died and she told me yeah that’s a stroke.
I felt it was my fault that she died in my hands and I wasn’t able to help her to die without pain.. but it was too fast.
but maybe there are other signs that can help people realize that something is wrong with the bird before it’s too late..

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Feeling fault is normal, but try to not beat yourself up about it.

Even through the disorienting confusion of a stroke, I believe she would have known you were there for her, and felt your loving comfort.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Feeling fault is normal, but try to not beat yourself up about it.

Even through the disorienting confusion of a stroke, I believe she would have known you were there for her, and felt your loving comfort.
I think she knew I was there as before she died she opened her eyes (in this moment I thought finally the episode is passing and I will take her to the vet and all will be fine) and looked at me as I petted her trying to calm her down while holding her against my body while she was cooped in my hand and she squeaked loudly then I saw how she just stopped breathing.. I did tried to do CPR but it didn’t worked.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I went through a similar experience with my late dog Pepper when she had her stroke.

It's a traumatic situation.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I’m more calm now I won’t be rewatching the videos as the whole situation got me paranoid.. but I think it’s important for people to learn how a stroke looks like in birds but there was nothing I could do to help her.
My friend is an avian veterinarian she is working in Canada and when I send her the video many hours later after Baylee died and she told me yeah that’s a stroke.
I felt it was my fault that she died in my hands and I wasn’t able to help her to die without pain.. but it was too fast.
but maybe there are other signs that can help people realize that something is wrong with the bird before it’s too late..
I'm sorry for your loss, it's so hard to loose them , it's hard to witness last moments, but so special to be there for them .

I read your post in May of last year , when neurological symptoms with her foot. You gave her such excellent care to have her so much longer . She was very beautiful, and 12 is a long life , filled with love . I don't believe there is anything more you could have done . You were there for her, she was safe, she was loved .

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I'm sorry for your loss, it's so hard to loose them , it's hard to witness last moments, but so special to be there for them .

I read your post in May of last year , when neurological symptoms with her foot. You gave her such excellent care to have her so much longer . She was very beautiful, and 12 is a long life , filled with love . I don't believe there is anything more you could have done . You were there for her, she was safe, she was loved .
The episodes with the leg were because of lack of vitamin D i gave her sunlight baths and she stopped having those leg episodes. Yeah i just read the other day that 13 years is quite long for lovebirds I was initially worried because I know some lovebirds that have lived to their 20s so I thought I did something wrong :( But now I understand that their average is actually 9-11 years old and that she lived 2 years more than the average and wasn’t blind or with cataracts.
I know now that there are some that live longer just like with people.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss

I am not sure why I watched the videos reminded me too much of pico in his last moments

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’m sorry for your loss… so he had a stroke?
I am not sure I found him in his water bowl but when hubby picked him up he very much like Baylee does in your video then went blue on his beak

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I am not sure I found him in his water bowl but when hubby picked him up he very much like Baylee does in your video then went blue on his beak
Oh but Baylee’s beak didn’t turn blue.. but I did noticed that only 1 hour later she was stone cold :unsure1:.. you know even though her beak wasn’t blue her tongue was purple!