• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

‘‘Twas Adorable and Frightful.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I was watching Sherbert try to fly earlier, it was adorable. He can already make it up to the lowest perch by himself! Great accomplishment in my mind!

A while after watching all that I decided it would be a good time to take out the nest in there, they showed barely little interest of going back in there when given the chance.

I had opened the big door and started the process, to get out the nest I had to remove a food bowl, and a perch.

I did both of those things with ease considering both R.R and Sherbert are used to my hands in the cage and such.

Now at this point my father started talking to me causing me to turn around leaving the big door open with confidence because I didn’t suspect any of them to even want to leave the cage.

A moment later I saw R.R flying from where he was to a pillow outside of the cage, maybe about five or six feet away from it.

It almost gave me a heart attack. Yeah, I did easily get him back in the cage without any complications, but sheesh.

I didn’t even know he could fly that far or well. Considering just a few days ago he was still in the nest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Flying is good exercise for the budgies. Do you give them all out of cage time?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
They grow up so fast! :)

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Flying is good exercise for the budgies. Do you give them all out of cage time?
Not yet. Still haven’t trained them yet, and they are still learning how to fly. I’ll give them another week or so before I try letting them out of the cage freely.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try to take each one at a time into a small room like bathroom. Cover mirror. This is how I start out budgie flying. Starting them out in a bigger room with lots of places to land and possibly get hurt is not such a good idea.

I don't know how you are planning your budgie. Flight school.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Try to take each one at a time into a small room like bathroom. Cover mirror. This is how I start out budgie flying. Starting them out in a bigger room with lots of places to land and possibly get hurt is not such a good idea.

I don't know how you are planning your budgie. Flight school.
Bathrooms are a good place to start flight training. As mentioned above, you'll need to cover the mirror, any windows, and please close the toilet lid ! LOL.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Not yet. Still haven’t trained them yet, and they are still learning how to fly. I’ll give them another week or so before I try letting them out of the cage freely.
Ooooh I can't wait to see a video of that - if RR is already wanting to fly to a pillow so young, it should be very interesting and entertaining to see where he will go next time!