• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

“It ‘s just his character!”

Tima

Meeting neighbors
10 months ago I got a baby GCC. I live with mom at home. He was few weeks old, and he was such a gentle baby. When we first got him, he was afraid of me as i had to take him from the cage , feed him, give him medicines, and he got attached to my mom as his mom. We separated from birdie for a period of 2 months due to the covid restictions, during which he stayed with his vet. When we came back, frutti was still attached to mom, and takes me as a friend. I discipline him a lot, while my mom just offers him a lot of tender love. Unfortunately, frutti has developed a very bad character, to which even his vet feels that he s a naughty boy. We cant potty train him at all, and i dont know why, whenever he is upset he waits until we look and poops in the wrong place. He doesnt bite me , but bites my mom a lot, and can poop on her own things despite how much he loves her. If he doesnt eat whatever he wNts, he d bite her, shout or poop on the food. It is very hard to out him the cage, to a point i tried all sorts of tricks, and he despises me when i do that. He bites my other pet every time i leave the house, to a point he takes off his fur. There are times when me and mom feel so hopeless in having frutti potti trained, or behaving at least and not biting. If u have any help advise please let me know, cause all i hear is this is ur bird s stubborn character. I love him so much

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I discipline him a lot
First of all, birds should not be “disciplined” you need to use positive reinforcement
We cant potty train him at all
Potty training is actually dangerous for birds, it might cause them to hold on their poop for unhealthy amounts of time and cause infections or prolapse.

He bites my other pet every time i leave the house, to a point he takes off his fur.
Your bird should not have access to your other pets, especially if it’s a dog or cat. One attack from a dog or cat and your bird could be dead.

Here are some good free training resources you could use to help with the biting:

Tima

Meeting neighbors
First of all, birds should not be “disciplined” you need to use positive reinforcement

Potty training is actually dangerous for birds, it might cause them to hold on their poop for unhealthy amounts of time and cause infections or prolapse.

Your bird should not have access to your other pets, especially if it’s a dog or cat. One attack from a dog or cat and your bird could be dead.

Here are some good free training resources you could use to help with the biting:
Thank u! I ll have a look. For the discipline, i tend to use treats, every time he goes to potty in right place, or if he goes to sleep in time. But still doesnt work. Also i have a pet rabbit, teethless and old and he keeps attacking him !! I cant isolate them, otherwise one will be caged and that s not fair :/

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For the discipline, i tend to use treats, every time he goes to potty in right place, or if he goes to sleep in time.
That’s not discipline, that’s positive reinforcement ;)

Also i have a pet rabbit, teethless and old and he keeps attacking him !! I cant isolate them, otherwise one will be caged and that s not fair :/
Is there a separate room the rabbit could stay in while the bird is out of its cage?

Tima

Meeting neighbors
That’s not discipline, that’s positive reinforcement ;)

Is there a separate room the rabbit could stay in while the bird is out of its cage?
Unfortunately not, the bedrooms r small for both of them

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Thank u! I ll have a look. For the discipline, i tend to use treats, every time he goes to potty in right place, or if he goes to sleep in time. But still doesnt work. Also i have a pet rabbit, teethless and old and he keeps attacking him !! I cant isolate them, otherwise one will be caged and that s not fair :/
It's not fair for your rabbit to be getting bitten by your conure, either. They need to be kept separate before serious injury occurs to either.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It is your responsibility to keep them safe. The current situation is not safe. It's up to you to work it out, to ensure the well-being of both animals. Whatever that may entail.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Wow, I didn’t even know potty training a bird was a thing. Maybe you could create a schedule for out of cage time? I do this for my birds because it’s not always safe for them to be out. As long as you have plenty for him to do inside the cage, it’s ok to keep him in while your other pets are out of cage. Poor guy sounds like he might be struggling with all the changes? I’m sorry you had to leave him for 2 months.

Tima

Meeting neighbors
Wow, I didn’t even know potty training a bird was a thing. Maybe you could create a schedule for out of cage time? I do this for my birds because it’s not always safe for them to be out. As long as you have plenty for him to do inside the cage, it’s ok to keep him in while your other pets are out of cage. Poor guy sounds like he might be struggling with all the changes? I’m sorry you had to leave him for 2 months.
Thank u for ur kind response! I tried the schedule thing, and i still i struggle to put him back in the cage. There are toys, snacks, treats water in the cage, but it seems that when we left he was being put in the cage all day long, which may have given him this fear. For potty training, it s mainly for him to go to the right location to make his potty, rather than choosing any place he likes. He now says Potty Potty, and i have to take him there myself, which is an improvement